Mendez: Garrett agrees Escobar hasn't made big impact

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, he's not identical to Wade, got it.

Glad we had to have a four page debate for people to get some sense.
I guess this is referring to my post earlier.

Nope...I said in regards to spinning positives.

And yes. He is the same. You cannot spin a damn fucking thing positive about Escobar unless you try, real real hard.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I do have to say in all honesty - who do you want on the field on third down - Cole Beasley or Gavin Escobar? They both block about the same and one is seemingly uncover-able. So that kind of throws out the 12 formation with a guy who can't block.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Real interesting how Escobar was thrown out there at the beginning of the year and since has been totally invisible and sidelined. If he's not good enough now to see the field then what did anyone see in him before to get him on the field the first month of the year? Or was it a pressure from Jerry since "we drafted him early so we have to get him on the field early" type of thing?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They can kind of save face with this pick if the release/trade Witten next year. Witten is certainly not the biggest problem with this offense but he's clearly in decline and the Cowboys need to completely clean house.

Get what you can get for him 3rd or 4th rounder and start the youth movement at TE.

Frankly I don't give a damn if he's Romo's BFF. Romo friendly is the thing of the past. Time to start making decisions that are best for the team rather than what's best for a few players that are in rapid decline.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You can probably get something for Ware too, people will think he just needs to get healthy. And frankly that may be true.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Real interesting how Escobar was thrown out there at the beginning of the year and since has been totally invisible and sidelined. If he's not good enough now to see the field then what did anyone see in him before to get him on the field the first month of the year? Or was it a pressure from Jerry since "we drafted him early so we have to get him on the field early" type of thing?
I think there is some truth to that.

I go back to the war room video of them trying to convince Jerry to draft Escobar. Jerry was concerned about this turning out to be another wasted TE pick like Fasano and Bennett and the yahoos around him were clamoring for the Jer' to make the pick because it was going to be different this time.

So yeah, I could see the coaches feeling pressured to stick him on the field early since they staked their reputation to him during the draft.

As an aside, it also highlights why this team sorely needs a GM whose primary job is to run the Cowboys. I'd like to think a full time GM who knows what the hell he's doing would have told them during the draft to get the hell out of his face with that Escobar nonsense.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think there is some truth to that.

I go back to the war room video of them trying to convince Jerry to draft Escobar. Jerry was concerned about this turning out to be another wasted TE pick like Fasano and Bennett and the yahoos around him were clamoring for the Jer' to make the pick because it was going to be different this time.

So yeah, I could see the coaches feeling pressured to stick him on the field early since they staked their reputation on him during the draft.

As an aside, it also highlights why this team sorely needs a GM who's primary job is to run the Cowboys. I'd like to think a full time GM who knows what the hell he's doing would have told them during the draft to get the hell out of his face with that Escobar nonsense.
Not sure which is dumber...coaches who clamored for a Patriot-style 2 TE offense yet again...or our liquored up GM who agreed with them. Not to mention said TE can't block.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not sure which is dumber...coaches who clamored for a Patriot-style 2 TE offense yet again...or our liquored up GM who agreed with them. Not to mention said TE can't block.
Block? I don't think he can play. Period.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He definitely lacks the speed. His combine 40 time should have dropped him to the 4th round or later.
No. That's what dropped him to the second round for us.

Top Bottom