Mendez: Beamer says Cowboys will get a clutch player if Danny Coale can get on ...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Frank Beamer says Cowboys will get a clutch player if Danny Coale can get on the field

The Cowboys have yet to see anything from receiver Danny Coale, a fourth-round pick a year ago. But if he can get on the field, his former coach said they will see a clutch player.

“One time, I was asked, ‘How does that guy always get open?’ ” Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said. “Plays develop and plays develop and plays develop, and there’s Danny wide open – I don’t know how many times that happened at Tech.

“He’s fast, but you just look at him, you don’t think he is. He sneaks up on you. I think people underestimated his speed sometimes. But he catches the ball. He gets open. And he’s got some toughness to him.”

Beamer found time to answer a few Cowboys questions Sunday in Martinsville, Va., where he was scheduled to drive the pace car for a NASCAR race.

He said he has not spoken to Coale since the Cowboys drafted him, but he knows his former player is doing his best to be ready for the season. A broken foot in the offseason and a hamstring problem in training camp were two of the reasons Coale wound up spending the entire year on the practice squad.

“Just knowing Danny, he’s always a very positive guy, always a guy that rose to the occasion,” Beamer said. “I’m pulling for him hard, I can tell you that.”

The Cowboys have another Virginia Tech player on the roster, tight end Andre Smith, who went undrafted in 2011 but signed with Chicago and then spent last year with Indianapolis.

“Another great kid – really pulling for him,” Beamer said. “Hope everything will work out great. That’s the one thing at Virginia Tech I’m as proud of as anything – the type of player we have in our program: really good kids, great character, want to be successful, want to work hard. Andre is a good example of that.”

But it may be a longshot for more Virginia Tech players to be drafted by Dallas this year. Beamer said the Cowboys haven’t contacted him about any of his players and that he does not know if they have interviewed any.

-- Carlos Mendez

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he could be better than Cole Beasley.
I totally agree. Depending on how the cards fall I think he could have a legit shot at winning the 3rd WR spot in our offense this offseason. I expect us to probably add one WR in the draft and then you will see a wide open competition for that role in our offense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dwayne Harris got his shit together last year and hopefully Coale can do the same as I see an even higher upside for him than Harris (whom I really like).

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I had hopes for him when he was drafted. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and pan out for us.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just want a guy who knows his routes and will be where he is supposed to be...unlike Olga. Romo seemed to develop some chemistry with Beasley and Harris, so hopefully he can do the same with Coale.

As an aside...I'd look at bringing back Robinson, that is if he does not get a concussion putting his bags in the overhead container.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think by law every smaller white WR has to be compared to Welker. He is this generations Steve Largent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't take a lot. Beasley can run a route, but he is a shrimp that I don't think has a future in the NFL.
He is a shrimp and he has no long speed. He may have some use on short quick routes and when plays break down but overall I would rather see other guys on the field.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wouldn't take a lot. Beasley can run a route, but he is a shrimp that I don't think has a future in the NFL.
Agreed. He can make plays with the right QB on the field, but it's hard to picture him being able to make a team year after year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know people look at his measurements on paper and he doesn't seem that small, take a look when he's playing. Big head, scrawny body...looks like a baby in a football uniform and gets knocked around like one. Welker and other guys like that are built differently.

Top Bottom