McCarthy has made Defensive Tackles matter again

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It wasn't even that. It was a babysitter contract that Marinelli bailed on damn quick.

Name for me the last time you have ever seen anything like this ever pan out. Okay, loser...here I am, asking you to pledge your effort.

I mean, what kind of shithead coach even does that? Ever hear of that resulting in a great career...for anyone?
Not a single one. If anything it's usually some type of off the field personal conduct contract. I've never heard of anyone needing something like this for ON FIELD behavior.

Last edited:

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
It wasn't even that. It was a babysitter contract that Marinelli bailed on damn quick.

Name for me the last time you have ever seen anything like this ever pan out. Okay, loser...here I am, asking you to pledge your effort.

I mean, what kind of shithead coach even does that? Ever hear of that resulting in a great career...for anyone?
Good thing is they are not counting on him and anything he may provide is icing on the cake. He may not even make it out of camp--if there is a training camp.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Good thing is they are not counting on him and anything he may provide is icing on the cake. He may not even make it out of camp--if there is a training camp.
I can tell you with complete confidence, that kid is doomed. He has a new staff that thinks differently and he wasn't even smart enough to play his pet status into something.

Unless he has guts that he has never, ever displayed before, he will fail and quickly. Marinelli went looking for reasons to like him, even going back to the former staff with Scott Frost.

He will be washed out of Dallas and then picked up by Marinelli. He has found many of his strays jobs over the years. It is what he does.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It worked for Coach McGrath and Levander "Bird" Williams.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Moore just said the Cowboys might even have had Gallimore ahead of Diggs on their board, but they knew the corner wouldn't last much longer while the DT might be there later.

I like Gallimore well enough but I think that would have been a little too early for him.
Reading Bob Sturm's write up of him today, pre draft, he gave Gallimore a 1st-2nd grade (borderline).

He also gave Anae a second round grade, and Diggs a second round grade.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Worse, what kind of consensus-building politics loving clusterfuck of a front office stands around nodding their heads at this bullshit while presenting a draft card with Hill’s name on it for their precious 2nd round and first pick of the draft?

It’s like when Steve Pelluer called a play opening day vs. the Steelers in 1988 that didn’t exist and ended up throwing a pick in the endzone because of it.

Sure, blame Pelluer, but what about every player in the huddle who just nodded their heads and ignored it?

Loser culture reinforces itself.

I think McCarthy has already demonstrated big time leadership skills, and this draft is evidence.

I’m both hoping and have also seen signs the year out of football lit a fire under him.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I only wish it was two DTs and one CB instead of the reverse.

Gotta believe Hill fucked that possibility up a bit.
I think at least some of it had to do with all or most of the current CB's on the roster becoming FA's after 2020 season.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I know it's the in-vogue thing to say "Just get the players and tailor your scheme to fit them," because we are fresh off a rigid Garrett regime that had a very difficult time adapting, but I'm not entirely sure I agree.

To some extent this approach is smart, but I also think having a system that you abide by and find the right pieces for can be a well oiled machine unlike making scheme tweaks more often every time personnel changes.

By the same simplistic logic, if they are great players, they will be great in any scheme. If you think they won't fit in your scheme, they must not be good players.

Neither approach is 100% right, though it's certainly time for a swing in McCarthy's direction for us.

But I would certainly say a guy like Belichick has been about scheme more than players -- and he frequently jettisons players that either aren't scheme fits or aren't personality fits, all sacrificed at the alter of the Belichick approach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know it's the in-vogue thing to say "Just get the players and tailor your scheme to fit them," because we are fresh off a rigid Garrett regime that had a very difficult time adapting, but I'm not entirely sure I agree.
Of course you don't.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

To some extent this approach is smart, but I also think having a system that you abide by and find the right pieces for can be a well oiled machine unlike making scheme tweaks more often every time personnel changes.

By the same simplistic logic, if they are great players, they will be great in any scheme. If you think they won't fit in your scheme, they must not be good players.

Neither approach is 100% right, though it's certainly time for a swing in McCarthy's direction for us.

But I would certainly say a guy like Belichick has been about scheme more than players -- and he frequently jettisons players that either aren't scheme fits or aren't personality fits, all sacrificed at the alter of the Belichick approach.
I don't agree at all that Belichick adjusts player acquisition to his scheme. He has proven many times that he adjusts his scheme to the players on the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't agree at all that Belichick adjusts player acquisition to his scheme. He has proven many times that he adjusts his scheme to the players on the field.
Yeah this is totally the opposite of true.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I've grown so accustomed to the proven, established success of 3T +1T/NT combos that the Gallimore pick really threw me since he projects to neither of the two exactly as a pro, really. He's his own thing and a talented, hard-working player.

I would not try to force him to be a 3 or a 1, but just take advantage of his flexibility and move him around and let him play.

Time for McCarthy to back his claim that scheme is secondary to talent.

Top Bottom