Mazi Smith Can't Pass Rush?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not a fan of PFF in terms of their subjective analysis, "grades" and such, but I do think there's some value in the pure hard stats that they compile which serves as sort of a baseline for comparison. Unlike the NFL college doesn't really keep track of "QB hits" and the like, so the closest thing is PFF.

In watching Mazi's games (TCU, Ohio St., Iowa and Penn St. so far) I really felt like the stats weren't indicative of the pressure he was getting since at least a few times a game he was either beating his man for a clear runway to the QB or pushing them back into the QB's laps in right around 2 seconds, but the ball was always coming out so quick that he'd be left a step short of laying out the QB.

I thought this may be due to being biased since he's now a Cowboy but I checked out PFF's hits/pressures stats for a bunch of recent highly drafted DT's and it's a pretty interesting comparison. It's laid out as QB hits/pressures/pass rush snaps played, so for example, for Jeffrey Simmons you have: 7/23 - 339 snaps, which equates to 7 QB hits and 23 pressures in 339 pass rush snaps.

PlayerFinal Year in CollegePrevious Year
Jeffrey Simmons7/23 - 339 snaps3/30 - 303 snaps
Jalen Carter5/24 - 273 snaps6/24 - 264 snaps
Derrick Brown10/20 - 382 snaps7/17 - 333 snaps
Quinnen Williams16/30 - 344 snaps0/3 - 151 snaps
Vita Vea9/29 - 313 snaps3/22 - 232 snaps
Calijah Kancey9/30 - 275 snaps10/19 - 367 snaps
Da'ron Payne8/24 - 406 snaps3/12 - 319 snaps
Javon Kinlaw7/26 - 352 snaps3/14 - 296 snaps
Christian Wilkins11/28 - 361 snaps5/12 - 363 snaps

Travis Jones7/14 - 313 snaps7/13 - 287 snaps
Jordan Davis2/9 - 221 snaps0/4 - 125 snaps
Dexter Lawrence10/21 - 254 snaps3/11 - 219 snaps
Justin Madubuike10/25 - 343 snaps11/25 - 398 snaps
BJ Hill4/14 - 420 snaps8/21 - 396 snaps
Keeanu Benton11/11 - 227 snaps7/12 - 256 snaps
Mazi Smith5/19 - 393 snaps6/14 - 271 snaps

What's interesting to me here is that I think you can see the trend that you'd expect to see where guys who were clear known quantities coming out of college as pass-rushers (i.e. Kancey, Quinnen Williams, Wilkins) consistently generated more hits/hurries, while guys who were looked at as run-stuffers first who could do some pass-rushing on the side (Payne, Lawrence, Kinlaw) trended a bit lower.

There are some outliers like Vea but for the most part I think you're seeing the run-stuffers in the 25-30 range while the guys who were known as being ready to go as pass-rushers are in the 35-40 range. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of these guys were nowhere near as good coming out against the run as Mazi and were often 20-30+ pounds lighter.

The only guys who were even comparable in size were Vea, Lawrence, Brown and Davis. As I mentioned, Vea is the clear outlier but aside from him Mazi isn't far off from Lawrence/Brown or even guys like Payne and Kinlaw, was more productive than Davis, and of course these were all guys taken much higher than him in the first. This tells me that what I'm seeing in the games is accurate and that his pass rush isn't as far off as some think, especially in a 2-gapping defense like Michigan's where he wasn't allowed to just fly upfield often.

He isn't even that far off from someone like Carter, at least relative to the way Carter has been billed as some sort of generational interior pass rusher.

The most interesting thing of it all is that he far outpaced Jordan Davis who lagged far behind every single one of the guys I looked up, and of course we all would've been ecstatic to get him last year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Damn, you sure are protective of him.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not protective so much as being tired of seeing dumbasses who spend 15 seconds looking up "Mazi Smith 2022 stats" on Google running off at the mouth about how taking a run-stuffing DT in the first is a waste.

Plus I'm bored on a Sunday.
I am thinking the design with him is a lot different from what he was doing at Michigan. Quinn is probably going to be pretty stunt happy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's not protective so much as being tired of seeing dumbasses who spend 15 seconds looking up "Mazi Smith 2022 stats" on Google running off at the mouth about how taking a run-stuffing DT in the first is a waste.

Plus I'm bored on a Sunday.
Casual fans just don't understand the value of a push up the middle when it comes to pass rush because they don't truly understand defensive football.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I am thinking the design with him is a lot different from what he was doing at Michigan. Quinn is probably going to be pretty stunt happy.
It definitely will be, he'll 2-gap on 1st and 10 plenty but he isn't going to be occupying blockers on 3rd and 7 like he was at Michigan.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
he isn't going to be occupying blockers on 3rd and 7 like he was at Michigan.
Hell no, he will be bull rushing the vast majority of those situations.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mazi also has an interesting stance in a lot of what you watch. It's pretty noticeable. Like they have him bracing to hold his ground instead of attacking.

Anyway, I think Mazi will do great here. I have zero worries about this pick. I think he will be a legit impact player at DT which is what we need.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mazi also has an interesting stance in a lot of what you watch. It's pretty noticeable. Like they have him bracing to hold his ground instead of attacking.

Anyway, I think Mazi will do great here. I have zero worries about this pick. I think he will be a legit impact player at DT which is what we need.
I have some worries, but I shall keep them to myself…for now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have some worries, but I shall keep them to myself…for now.
Sure and I bank on his strength making him good regardless. The guy has unreal power. My understanding is Michigan had to get new equipment because he was exceeding the weight limits on their equipment. This isn't just strong guy, this is freaky strong.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Casual fans just don't understand the value of a push up the middle when it comes to pass rush because they don't truly understand defensive football.
Excellent point. When DE pass rushers fire in from the edge, QBs feel that pressure and "step up" in the pocket. If the edge rusher blows past or gets taken deep, it's extra time for the QB. A push up the middle takes away the step up option. So a push up the middle actually makes edge rushers more effective.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I recall an interview with Cosell recently where he claims Michigan interior DL are coached to read and react and not pass rush, even on pass downs.

He said people are going to be surprised how good Smith generating pressure once NFL coaches get ahold of him.

EDIT: nm, :lol, you posted it, well part of it

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Start this @ 4:30... the PFF guy breaks down the Mazi pick, he explains why his "pressure" stats were muted at Michigan.

Top Bottom