Mass shooting in Jacksonville

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Reason #1 this was able to happen.
Oh good lord.

Practically every large public venue, like this mall, is a "gun-free zone".

It does not mean it is enforced. Putting up a pictogram of a gun with a line through it is not going to stop anybody.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
so naturally they had metal detectors to enforce this, right?
Sounds like we need to get metal detectors and armed security personnel every where you go so we can stop this kind of thing from happening.

In fact, we could probably single-handedly end unemployment. There would be a job like this available everywhere.

They could man the metal detectors in fast food restaurants, grocery stores, you name it. :dunce

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If you haven't figured out by now that both extreme sides of a polarized argument are going to be hypocritical and have that drive the narrative, I don't know what to tell you.

In fact, in general, people are goddamn hypocrites.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oh good lord.

Practically every large public venue, like this mall, is a "gun-free zone".

It does not mean it is enforced. Putting up a pictogram of a gun with a line through it is not going to stop anybody.
Educate yourself. A picture with a gun and a line drawn through it doesn't mean shit to a licensed gun carrier. Only establishments specified by federal law (schools, banks, bars, etc) and places that have sought out and achieved 31.06 status are legit gun-free zones. I carry my gun with me everywhere I go except my kids schools, banks, and bars. Malls, movie theaters, etc I have my gun with me. There are only two theaters here in Lubbock that are not 31.06 and those are the only two I will go to.

Cotton

Staff member
Sounds like we need to get metal detectors and armed security personnel every where you go so we can stop this kind of thing from happening.

In fact, we could probably single-handedly end unemployment. There would be a job like this available everywhere.

They could man the metal detectors in fast food restaurants, grocery stores, you name it. :dunce
Something like 93% of all mass shooting happen in gun-free zones where law-abiding citizens can't carry legally. The issue isn't paid security. The issue is inherent lack of security by handicapped law-abiding citizens not being able to protect themselves.

Cotton

Staff member
And, before anyone skews my words, I am all for more security in our schools. I think I have made that clear in the past.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Something like 93% of all mass shooting happen in gun-free zones where law-abiding citizens can't carry legally. The issue isn't paid security. The issue is inherent lack of security by handicapped law-abiding citizens not being able to protect themselves.
So these 18-20 year old kids at a mall gaming center are like you that carries your gun with you at all times?

How many of them would even if they could?

Cotton

Staff member
So these 18-20 year old kids at a mall gaming center are like you that carries your gun with you at all times?

How many of them would even if they could?
18-20 year olds are not allowed to carry a gun. It's against the law. There more than just 18-20 years old there, though, so your point is moot.

Cotton

Staff member

This is spot fucking on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
18-20 year olds are not allowed to carry a gun. It's against the law. There more than just 18-20 years old there, though, so your point is moot.
So your scenario suggests that the 21 and older gun carrying law-abiding citizens that would be somehow present in this venue would be deterrents to this twerp who fucking rage quit and shot up the joint?

Cotton

Staff member
So your scenario suggests that the 21 and older gun carrying law-abiding citizens that would be somehow present in this venue would be deterrents to this twerp who fucking rage quit and shot up the joint?
93% of mass shootings happen in gun-free zones, so yeah, I would say the potential of other people carrying guns damn sure is a deterrent.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
So a little cunt who had already decided to shoot up the place and kill himself would have been stopped by someone with a gun before he could have emptied his clip or whatever and shot himself?

Doubtful.

Cotton

Staff member
So a little cunt who had already decided to shoot up the place and kill himself would have been stopped by someone with a gun before he could have emptied his clip or whatever and shot himself?

Doubtful.
Yes, that's correct.

Also, who knows if he had predetermined that he was going to shoot up the place? He very well could have been an entitled little shit that lost and had been raised to always get sprinkles, leading to his coward ass using a gun to express his anger about losing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes, that's correct.

Also, who knows if he had predetermined that he was going to shoot up the place? He very well could have been an entitled little shit that lost and had been raised to always get sprinkles, leading to his coward ass using a gun to express his anger about losing.
Or he could have grown up in a law-abiding household that tried to raise him right and also taught him about guns. Which is why he knew how to use it.

So why would he have to be an entitled little shit? Maybe he was raised to be ultra competitive and hates to lose by his gun-toting parents?

I know that's a stretch, right?

It is understandable to just boil down nutjobs to "liberal" parents, but that is not always the case.

Cotton

Staff member
Or he could have grown up in a law-abiding household that tried to raise him right and also taught him about guns. Which is why he knew how to use it.

So why would he have to be an entitled little shit? Maybe he was raised to be ultra competitive and hates to lose by his gun-toting parents?

I know that's a stretch, right?

It is understandable to just boil down nutjobs to "liberal" parents, but that is not always the case.
You don't think there are conservative parents that raise their kids as entitled shits? I think it is probably much more rare than the opposite, but I have seen it with my own eyes. I'm not making a liberal vs conservative point here. I'm making a spoiled shit vs well raised child point.

Cotton

Staff member

This is such a typical thing. Just make shit up and hope people believe it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This shit hits home.

From 97-2004, I was a competitive gamer on the Madden and Street Fighter scenes.

I have plenty of friends who are still competitive gamers and some are tournament organizers.

Just to see old friends or support the scene, I go to 2 or 3 gaming tournaments a year.

To see that now even this activity has become a target of gun violence just leaves me in shock.

I'm genuinely hurt by this.

WTF is happening to our country?

Top Bottom