MacMahon: Cole Beasley helps cause but hurts foot

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cole Beasley helps cause but hurts foot

August, 10, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

OAKLAND, Calif. – Cole Beasley walked out of O.co Coliseum wearing a pair of dress shoes and breathing a sigh of relief.

“I should be good soon,” Beasley said after X-rays on his left foot were negative. “I’m just happy it’s not broken.”

The itty-bitty second-year slot receiver out of SMU had every right to be pretty pleased with his performance, too.

To put it simply, the Raiders couldn’t cover Beasley, who caught all three passes thrown to him for 49 yards and the Cowboys’ lone touchdown, a 15-yard catch made possible by him beating man coverage with a quick juke at the line of scrimmage.

“You never want to go out there and get hurt when you’re starting to play well,” said Beasley, who could be sidelined for a few days. “I was disappointed, but now the main thing I can focus on is getting better.”

This was a good night for the 5-foot-8, 180-pound Beasley despite the minor injury. He showed the sure hands, quickness, ability to get open that have Cowboys decision-makers discussing packages to put him in position to contribute during the regular season.

That doesn’t mean that Beasley has an opportunity to be the Cowboys’ third receiver. That’s third-round rookie Terrance Williams’ job to lose, and the Cowboys like creating mismatches with Miles Austin operating out of the slot on a regular basis.

But Beasley’s role should expand after he caught 15 passes for 128 yards as an undrafted rookie, particularly if he can get back on the practice field soon and build on an impressive preseason performance.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I have a strong feeling that this guy's ceiling is to be a good preseason player. He can't hang against real competition for long.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys WR Cole Beasley in a walking boot after MRI shows sprained ligaments in left foot

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
9:21 pm on August 10, 2013 |

OXNARD, Calif. — Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Cole Beasley had an MRI on his injured left foot Saturday that showed he had sprained ligaments and some bone bruising.

Beasley was in a walking boot Saturday and is expected to miss some practice time this week, though no timetable has been set for his return.

Beasley, the second-year player out of SMU, injured his left foot in the third quarter Friday night of the Cowboys’ preseason game at Oakland. After making a 23-yard catch, Beasley limped off the field and eventually headed into the locker room.

Beasley, who is the leading candidate to land the Cowboys’ No. 5 receiving job, said late Friday night that he thought an Oakland player stepped on his foot.

Beasley, who finished with three catches for 49 yards and a touchdown, said X-rays after the game came back negative.

“It’s not broken,” Beasley said after the game. “I should be good soon. I’m just happy it’s not broken. Now the main thing I can focus on is just getting better.”

Top Bottom