Machota: RB coach - Cowboys’ Ezekiel Elliott looking ‘way quicker, way more elusive, more fluent’

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It is reasonable to me. They stated last year the goal was to get him more involved in catching the ball. Wasn't all that efficient.

I think the RB that gets about 70% of your snaps probably should catch the ball a few times.

I'm certainly not saying it should be a feature, but it definitely should be an element.

Genghis Khan

Elliott is your best pass blocking RB, so you want him in on most pass plays. This also provides reasonable misdirection when he runs a real pass pattern.

The problem last year was teams weren’t fooled at all and on top of that Elliott was out of shape, period (run or pass). Also, they threw checkdowns, not by-design plays like screens because they lacked the athletes up front to pull that off.

Forget that he’s overpaid, Elliott’s a damned good football player who can catch short, catch deep, or catch screens. That clutch over the shoulder deep sideline catch some years back for example really made an impression on me. Showed he has another dimension to him in the passing game beyond blocking, checkdowns, and screens.

The team always fails to put in first look pass plays targeting RB’s because traditionally WRs and TEs are more productive at it.

But it’s clear Zeke is different than most backs and you can target him beyond just checkdowns and screens. He’s killed more than just Pittsburgh on screens, especially to the right. Lions, 49ers— went to the house.

You can’t succeed in those plays if you don’t try them

Exactly.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Stop passing to Elliot and only pass to other RBs would be patently retarded. People always complain about telegraphing your play intent…Well, that’s exactly what you’d be doing here.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
At one time, it looked like Elliott could be one of the great ones. Now you hope for 1200 and 4.3 per.

data

Forbes #1
At one time, it looked like Elliott could be one of the great ones. Now you hope for 1200 and 4.3 per.
High on Randy Gregory playing a full season despite never doing that, but low on Ezekiel Elliott because of last year’s toss away season when he’s otherwise delivered 1200 yards 4.3.

Pendulum of hope swings far in each direction.

For sure Elliott hasn’t delivered enough 40+ yard runs, but hoping for 1200 4.3 is undercutting him. I expect those stats to be his floor.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
High on Randy Gregory playing a full season despite never doing that, but low on Ezekiel Elliott because of last year’s toss away season when he’s otherwise delivered 1200 yards 4.3.

For sure Elliott hasn’t delivered enough 40+ yard runs, but hoping for 1200 4.3 is undercutting him. I expect those stats to be his floor.
Elliott was not good last year and RBs don't age well. But I think he is good for 4.2 ypc and 1200 yards if the line is healthy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All I have to say on the passing to Elliott thing is that the guy is either a very unskilled route runner or just lazy.

He just bleeds into the flat and stays parallel to the line of scrimmage. I get disgusted when they leave him out wide.

Even Emmitt could do damage as a receiver. It just kind of faded away later in his career.

Aside from that one beautiful screen, I really cannot recall many situations where he made a play after a reception.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
72, hater
I cannot tell you how much that automatic "hater" thing just offends me.

But then again, the message boards are a dying breed.

It is like everyone is angry and drunk and shit.

:tippytoe

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Because it bounces off his hands and/or he can't hit the edge like Pollard.
Zeke and Pollard had 5.9/5.4 and 4.8/4.8 yards per target in 2019 and 2020 respectively.

The offense around them got a lot worse in almost every dimension in 2020.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
900ish yards, 5 lost fumbles, 5 tds.

That’s my prediction for that bum. Anyone up for a haircut bet?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Zeke’s career will be as defined by the QB who came in the league with him as it will his own stats.

The days when someone like Shaun Alexander or Adrian Peterson dominated the league to that insane level year after year are probably gone for good. Shady McCoy came close, but the point is to consistently get those 1300+ rushing numbers you are sacrificing plays in the passing game.

If that’s happening your team probably a) stinks or b) has some all-timer type of defense that can shut down any other team.

In the time of Patrick Mahomes and healthy OL’s, b) simply doesn’t exist anymore.

Zeke might be able to get back to 1500+ yards, but do we want him to?

data

Forbes #1
Zeke’s career will be as defined by the QB who came in the league with him as it will his own stats.

The days when someone like Shaun Alexander or Adrian Peterson dominated the league to that insane level year after year are probably gone for good. Shady McCoy came close, but the point is to consistently get those 1300+ rushing numbers you are sacrificing plays in the passing game.

If that’s happening your team probably a) stinks or b) has some all-timer type of defense that can shut down any other team.

In the time of Patrick Mahomes and healthy OL’s, b) simply doesn’t exist anymore.

Zeke might be able to get back to 1500+ yards, but do we want him to?
Derrick Henry just had 2,000 yards.

Genghis Khan

He’s a menace. His team ain’t going anywhere if they don’t pass the ball more effectively.

That's a different point though.

Yes, a balanced offense is best.

No, that doesn't mean a strong running game is a detriment.

Top Bottom