Machota: NFL 100 - No. 78, Why Roger Staubach was the ‘greatest sports hero of his time’

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
LT is heads and shoulders above the next OLB and impactful enough that he revolutionized offensive schemes around the OLB position, in addition to redefining the position itself.
This is kind of random, but one of my favorite little NFL Films clips from their (later) glory days was when Joe Gibbs said LT had changed offensive blocking schemes because if you put a TE on him, you lose the game, period. And you could tell he meant it and it wasn't just coach-speak.

data

Forbes #1
This is kind of random, but one of my favorite little NFL Films clips from their (later) glory days was when Joe Gibbs said LT had changed offensive blocking schemes because if you put a TE on him, you lose the game, period. And you could tell he meant it and it wasn't just coach-speak.
Love the NFL Films episodes when they have seniors genuflecting. Ppl they used to hate with piss and vinegar, but twenty years later it’s all good times.

As an aside, one touching episode was when Hall of Famers were asked the dream scenario to pick one other HOF player they would have loved to have as a teammate. One after another player, in separate interviews, players picked their actual teammate and then they’d show that teammate mutually picking them back. Whether it was staged, I don’t want to know, but it was touching. Staubach named Dorsett and then they cut to Dorsett naming Roger. Fucking onions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom