Machota: Mike McCarthy conversation - Biggest takeaways from 45 minutes with the Cowboys coach

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

GLENDALE, ARIZONA - AUGUST 13: Quarterback Dak Prescott #4 and head coach Mike McCarthy of the Dallas Cowboys before the NFL preseason game against the Arizona Cardinals at State Farm Stadium on August 13, 2021 in Glendale, Arizona. The Cardinals defeated the Dallas Cowboys 19-16. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota 1h ago

FRISCO, Texas — Mike McCarthy is confident that despite last year’s 6-10 finish, the Cowboys are headed in the right direction. The team’s second-year head coach explained that in detail and much more Thursday afternoon at The Star.

McCarthy met with several local reporters for about 45 minutes in a room overlooking the two outdoor practice fields at the team’s headquarters. While the conversation began with how he and his family have gotten acclimated to North Texas since he was hired in January of last year, the final 30 minutes focused largely on the current team.

Here are my five biggest takeaways from the discussion.

Dak Prescott

McCarthy was asked several questions about the franchise quarterback. And in multiple responses, McCarthy mentioned the star quarterbacks he has been around since entering the NFL in 1993. Joe Montana was in Kansas City in 1993 and 1994 when McCarthy was the team’s offensive quality control coach. Rich Gannon was with the Chiefs from 1995 to 1998 when McCarthy was Kansas City’s QB coach. McCarthy then coached Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

In Prescott, McCarthy sees a quarterback like those other four. He’s the same guy every day, and setting the tone in practice.

“It’s so important that you have that from your leader, not only to be successful, but to stay successful,” McCarthy said. “I have no doubt in my mind that we’re going to be successful here, but staying successful year-in, year-out, that’s the real challenge in this league. I think everybody is capable of having a great run and winning at a high level, but then you see them fall off the next year or two. But to win every year here, that’s the real challenge. And we have that part right. We have the quarterback. We have the right person, the right leader, and he’ll be a huge part in that.

“That’s what we had with Montana, that’s what we had with Rich Gannon, that’s what we had with Brett Favre. It’s not only what they do on Sundays, but what they do in practice during the week. They’re so competitive, and they make the whole environment better. That’s how you win consistently. Dak is that for us.

“That’s what I’m excited about. Obviously, you want to win games, but I’m building a championship program. That’s just the way I’ve always done it. I told them that the day I got here. We’re not just trying to win one, we’re trying to win them all. And that’s the only way you really get the one, is with that type of approach and mindset.”
McCarthy said he’s very comfortable in regards to the relationship he has built with Prescott, but that isn’t as important to him as Prescott’s relationship with offensive coordinator Kellen Moore.

“The reason why Kellen Moore was given the opportunity he was given is because I wanted to continue the advancement of Dak Prescott, and that’s why I gave (play-calling) up,” McCarthy said. “I saw Joe Montana stay in a very similar offense his whole career. I watched Brett Favre stay, and I watched Aaron Rodgers do the same.
“I think that’s a huge, huge component. I don’t want Dak to have a new language. I don’t want Dak to have to change his footwork every time a play goes in. He has four years of starting ability. We need to build off of that. The decision was made to continue to do that. I love my relationship with Dak.”

Importance of fixing the defense

During McCarthy’s 13 seasons as Packers head coach, Green Bay had a top-10 defense three times. In those three seasons, the Packers lost in the NFC Championship Game (2007), lost in the wild-card round of the playoffs (2009) and then won the Super Bowl the following year. That 2010 Super Bowl team had the best defense of McCarthy’s time in Green Bay, finishing second in scoring defense (15 points per game) and fifth in total defense (309 yards per game).

To compare, the 2020 Cowboys finished 23rd in total defense (386 yards per game) and 28th in scoring defense (30 points per game). McCarthy believes fixing that will have the biggest influence on building a championship contender.

“I’m not saying anything I haven’t talked to Jerry (Jones) and Stephen (Jones) about,” McCarthy said. “If we don’t put the resources (into the defense) … To get to the championship game, you’ve got to have a great defense. I had one top-five defense in 13 years and won a Super Bowl. We had massive injuries that year. The 77 players won a championship, but that defense kept us in the game and kept giving us opportunities. And Aaron was obviously a great player and we were able to get on a roll at the right time. But defense is such a big part of it and that’s one thing in hindsight, we wish we would’ve been better on defense (in Green Bay).

“The teams I want to coach, defense has to be more of a priority. So that’s what I’ve learned from my Green Bay experience.”

McCarthy raved about the improvements the Cowboys have made defensively during free agency in March and then the draft in April. Veteran free agents like linebacker Keanu Neal, safety Damontae Kazee, defensive tackles Brent Urban and Carlos Watkins are all expected to have starting-type roles beginning Week 1. Free-agent safety Malik Hooker, who the Cowboys signed three weeks ago, could also end up in the starting lineup. Significant roles are also expected to be filled by 2021 draft picks like linebackers Micah Parsons and Jabril Cox, cornerbacks Kelvin Joseph and Nahshon Wright and defensive tackles Osa Odighizuwa and Quinton Bohanna.

“I think you’re seeing it already,” McCarthy said. “The defense has really been ahead of the offense throughout camp, and that’s been consistent. I think it was definitely needed. I’ve been in this league a long time. I’ve never seen one side of the ball flipped the way we flipped it in one offseason. I think it’s a real credit to what we were able to do in free agency and in the draft. I think it’ll definitely be evident when we get into the regular season.”

Current roster

On paper, the Cowboys look to be in pretty good shape if they can avoid the numerous significant injuries they battled through last year. McCarthy said the biggest issue right now is the team getting enough time together.

“I’m really impressed with the group I have now,” McCarthy said. “We have some real dudes. We’ve got some real studs that are here. And I like our young guys, too. I think we have the opportunity to really build and mold a hell of a unit. But these ingredients need to cook. They need time together.

“That connection is not something that the new CBA provides to this new practice structure that we have. I’m not making excuses, I’m just saying, talk about the old times, these are different challenges. We have a great opportunity. The most important thing we have now that we didn’t have last year is we have time together. That will be the most important component of our success.”

Building through the draft

McCarthy said he and vice president of player personnel Will McClay had an extensive conversation Thursday morning about staying committed to drafting and developing the roster. One of the topics they touched on was seeing players make a noticeable jump from their first to second seasons.

“It’s hard sometimes,” McCarthy said. “But I believe in it, and I’ve seen it work. (Former Packers GM) Ted Thompson taught me that. I’m not quick to give up on a young guy, regardless of where he is. He’s got to do his part too, but I think you clearly have to have a vision and a plan of how you want to get this done. And this (team) has been veteran-driven and there’s been some big contracts, but we’re drafting and developing right now.

“We’ve put together two good (draft) classes and I think that next class is so important. Because if you get three together, now you got something. You can build the bottom part of the roster, financially, (salary) cap, all that, and now it’s going the right way. We got some really good veteran players that make money and we recognize that, but drafting and developing is the backbone of what we’re doing here. And I can promise you, I feel strongly that we’re doing it the right way.”

Perception being reality

It’s not something he cared much about while being the head coach of the Green Bay Packers from 2006 to 2018. But he’s more aware today, especially in his current position. McCarthy said he used to emulate his father, believing that if he worked hard and did things the right way, everything else would take care of itself. But he now doesn’t think that’s realistic as an NFL head coach, even acknowledging that things would’ve probably ended differently in Green Bay if he had paid more attention to the perception. McCarthy added that he’s trying to be more open with reporters, joking, “I’m a dazzling son of a bitch now in these press conferences.”

“But I’m still who I am,” McCarthy said. “Jerry didn’t hire me to come down here to increase the marketing of his football team. I would probably dress better. I would choose my verbs better. And I’m capable, just so you know. But yeah, I’m more aware of it. At the end of the day, it’s about winning. And I know how to win. I have confidence in that. It’s a transition. I didn’t get the transition as far last year, what the program looks like, the way I had hoped to in Year 1. And we’re working toward that.”

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
“It’s hard sometimes,” McCarthy said. “But I believe in it, and I’ve seen it work. (Former Packers GM) Ted Thompson taught me that. I’m not quick to give up on a young guy, regardless of where he is. He’s got to do his part too, but I think you clearly have to have a vision and a plan of how you want to get this done. And this (team) has been veteran-driven and there’s been some big contracts, but we’re drafting and developing right now.

“We’ve put together two good (draft) classes and I think that next class is so important. Because if you get three together, now you got something. You can build the bottom part of the roster, financially, (salary) cap, all that, and now it’s going the right way. We got some really good veteran players that make money and we recognize that, but drafting and developing is the backbone of what we’re doing here. And I can promise you, I feel strongly that we’re doing it the right way.”
How can you not like this?

McCarthy added that he’s trying to be more open with reporters, joking, “I’m a dazzling son of a bitch now in these press conferences.”
:lol

p1_

DCC 4Life
If you wanna hear someone who is articulate and sharp on their oratory, check out Dan Quinn. A very easy listen .

Top Bottom