Machota: Latest on Zeke, Dak and Amari contract talks; 10 things to know before first padded practice

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1][/h]

By Jon Machota 1h ago

OXNARD, Calif. — The most recent Dallas campaign ended 197 days ago inside the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. On Monday, the Cowboys will hold the first padded practice of their 2019 training camp roughly 65 miles northwest on the grass fields behind the Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge.

The team began camp practices on Saturday, but they were in shorts and helmets and the offense didn’t face the defense. The team does not practice in pads during organized team activities or minicamp.

In case you missed anything, here’s a breakdown of what has taken place since the Cowboys arrived in California last Thursday. And to get you ready for the first practice in pads, a preview of what to expect Monday with 10 things to know.

The latest from camp:

Ezekiel Elliott’s absence continues to be the biggest topic of conversation. A practice in pads should shift the focus a little more to football. Elliott is not expected to be on the field Monday.

Pro Bowl defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence had the most entertaining response when asked about Elliott’s situation on Saturday. Lawrence probably wouldn’t be at camp right now if he had not signed his five-year, $105 million contract extension in April.

Reporter: Any advice for Elliott as he goes through this process?

Lawrence: “I got something for you. Let Zeke handle his business and don’t ask me about another man’s business.”

It’s interesting to note that none of the Cowboys players asked about Elliott’s holdout over the weekend said anything negative about the situation.

Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper are in similar spots as they enter the final years of their contracts. Prescott and Cooper both addressed Elliott’s absence and their own contracts on Saturday.

“Different strokes for different folks,” Cooper told reporters. “Their situations are different than mine. I have a fifth-year option coming up to where I get paid a significant amount of money if I play on that. But the running back position, you know Melvin [Gordon] is one of my good friends, and he tells me the contract he would play on this year, it’s nothing. It’s peanuts to an elephant. Everybody’s situation is different.”

Cooper’s fifth-year option is scheduled to pay him $13.9 million for this upcoming season. Elliott has a fifth-year option for the 2020 season ($9.09 million), but he’s on the books for $3.8 million this year. The final year of Prescott’s contract has him making $2.02 million.

“I want to be here,” Cooper said. “I haven’t really been thinking about my contract situation because I don’t know. I don’t know why. I want to be here. I want to be out here running routes. I want to be out here catching balls from Dak because I think it’s necessary, and I think it’s going to help me achieve what I want to achieve this season.”

Cooper is the least concerned of the three about his contract. As long as he picks up where he left off last season and he stays healthy, his next deal will only grow. Star receivers like Atlanta’s Julio Jones and New Orleans’ Michael Thomas are expected to get new deals in the near future, only inflating the receiver market. Cooper is also in great position in terms of leverage with the Cowboys. They certainly didn’t trade a first-round pick to lose him after a season and a half.

“I guess I’m just optimistic about it, and it’s something that’s going to happen whether it’s today, tomorrow or whenever,” Cooper said. “I’m not worried about me getting hurt or something like that and it not happening. I just don’t think like that.”

Prescott said he’s been in contact with Elliott.

“We’re not worried about him because we know wherever he is, he’s doing things the right way,” Prescott said. “He’s getting himself ready. He’s probably running the same drills that [running back coach Gary Brown] would have him going through. We’re not worried. He’s a professional. He takes care of his business when it comes to this game.”

In regards to his own contract, the Cowboys quarterback said he’s sure negotiations are continuing to take place, but he has completely turned his attention to preparing for the upcoming season.

Like Cooper, Prescott says his deal “will happen when it happens.” However, he then playfully used a Jerry Jones tactic from the team’s Friday news conference to kick off the start of camp. The Cowboys owner and general manager pretended not to hear a question about Jason Garrett’s future as head coach, asking a reporter to repeat it before smiling and saying “next question.”

When Prescott was asked about the possibility of tabling negotiations until after the season if a new deal isn’t signed by Week 1, he responded: “One more time.”

After the reporter repeated the question, Prescott smiled and said: “What did Jerry say yesterday? I didn’t hear you.”

What to expect on Monday:
  • In Elliott’s absence, Darius Jackson will likely see the most first-team work with rookie Tony Pollard also getting some reps in third-down situations. Rookie running back Mike Weber could also work into the mix. Weber’s inability to line up in the right spot during Sunday’s morning walk-through particularly angered Garrett. The head coach stopped the play and asked for a replacement who knew what he was doing. Garrett got on Weber a little more shortly after as Weber headed to the next drill.
  • Prescott’s improved footwork has been a popular topic this offseason. The Cowboys QB is coming off his most impressive offseason. Will that accuracy carry over when the pads come on? “From [the end of 2017] to what I saw this offseason, it’s a completely different player,” Jason Witten said of Prescott. “The intangibles he has as a leader, as a guy, it’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen. I expect an incredible year from him. He is the leader of this football team.”
  • Young receivers like Jon’Vea Johnson and Reggie Davis were impressive at times during OTAs and minicamp. It’ll be interesting to see if their speed can translate with defenders getting a little more physical in pads. With Allen Hurns now in Miami, there are two or three receiver spots up for grabs behind Cooper, Randall Cobb and Michael Gallup. It’s unlikely that Johnson and Davis will both make the roster, but it’s certainly possible that one of them does.
  • What kind of new offensive wrinkles will be on display from Kellen Moore? Some were showcased during OTAs and minicamp, as we saw more bunch sets and movement behind the line of scrimmage than in previous offseason practices. There should also be a bit of a new role with Pollard being able to play running back and receiver. Garrett acknowledged Sunday that he has spent more time with the offense this offseason than he has in previous years. In the past, Garrett has worked with veteran offensive coordinators like Scott Linehan and Bill Callahan. Garrett’s entering this season with a first-year OC, a first-year quarterbacks coach (Jon Kitna) and an offensive line coach (Marc Colombo) who is entering his first full season in that role.
  • Jason Witten will be in pads for the first time since Dec. 31, 2017. Although his workload isn’t expected to be what it was before he retired to join the Monday Night Football broadcast team, Witten will again be the first-team tight end. “Last night felt like the first day of school when I was going to bed,” Witten said Saturday. “It’s a great feeling to have that. Not just for me personally, I think just the excitement I have for this team.” What grade? “Probably 7th or 8th. Middle school was always a great time then.”
  • Travis Frederick will also return after missing all of last season with Guillain-Barré Syndrome. The All-Pro center has been working with the first-team during the first two days in helmets and shorts. “We’ve given him the clearance on Day 1 to get going,” Garrett said, “so you’re going to see him out at practice going full speed here in the next couple of days.”
  • Second-round pick Trysten Hill left Saturday’s practice early on a cart because of cramping. Garrett didn’t seem pleased that the rookie defensive tackle wasn’t prepared to make it through the non-padded practice. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli: “He’s got to go. The train’s leaving. He’s the caboose right now. Get up front.”
  • Robert Quinn has looked impressive without pads, rushing from the right end spot. His live reps in pads against Tyron Smith have a chance to be the most entertaining battles in camp. The hope is that once Lawrence returns from his offseason shoulder surgery, he and Quinn can give the Cowboys double-digit sack guys rushing from each side. How potent could they be? “It can be smoking,” Lawrence said. “It can be smoking. But it’s all about us fine-tuning our rushes together. We can’t just be running upfield and running into each other or running behind the quarterback. We got to get to the quarterback.”
  • What other defensive ends will emerge? Many are waiting for Taco Charlton to break out and play like a first-round pick. With Lawrence on the physically unable to perform list, Charlton and 2018 fourth-round pick Dorance Armstrong have been working with the first team at left defensive end. One of those two, if not both, need to step up and become regulars in Marinelli’s defensive line rotation.
  • The No. 1 goal of training camp is to get through it with everyone as healthy as possible. Injuries obviously happen, though. The New York Giants have already had multiple receivers suffer setbacks. Bengals star receiver A.J. Green tore ligaments in his ankle on Sunday. Look for veteran Cowboys players to get routine days off. Wide receiver Tavon Austin did not practice Sunday for the exact reason. Jason Witten, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin, Sean Lee, Randall Cobb, Robert Quinn and others will receive similar treatment.

Top Bottom