Machota: From concern to strength, ranking the Dallas Cowboys’ roster by position group

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Jon Machota May 12, 2020

Despite a pandemic, the Dallas Cowboys have had a somewhat normal offseason. They lost some key players in free agency and signed a few new ones. They added a full draft class and 15 undrafted rookie free agents last month. There could be some small additions and subtractions going forward, but for the most part, this is the group they will plan to have at training camp.

To give you an idea of the roster’s strengths and weaknesses, we’re breaking it down by position group and ranking each from weakest to strongest. As you will notice, Travis Frederick’s retirement, drafting CeeDee Lamb and signing Andy Dalton have made the biggest impact on the top of the rankings.

Here’s how we break it down from 10 to 1.

10.) Safety. No real surprise here. Veteran strong safety Jeff Heath signed with the Raiders. The Cowboys also signed free-agent veteran Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to a one-year deal. Xavier Woods and Clinton-Dix are expected to be the starters with veteran Darian Thompson and Donovan Wilson, last year’s sixth-round pick, as the top two reserves. The Cowboys have made it known that they believe some of their cornerbacks have the flexibility to move to safety. The most logical of the group to make that move would be Chidobe Awuzie, who played some safety in college. Either way, this position group remains the weakest on the roster.

9.) Special teams. They were not good last year. The addition of veteran special teams coordinator John Fassel should improve things, but there also appears to be an upgrade on the field as the Cowboys signed long-time Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein. Kai Forbath will compete with Zuerlein for that spot. Chris Jones remains the punter, and L.P. Ladouceur will again be the long snapper. Lamb has the ability to be used in the return game. Veteran special teams contributors C.J. Goodwin, Joe Thomas and Justin March were all re-signed.

8.) Tight end. Jason Witten is now in Las Vegas, and Blake Jarwin steps into the No. 1 spot. The Cowboys extended Jarwin’s contract this offseason and also added Blake Bell. Jarwin is expected to be the primary pass-catcher at the position. He caught 31 passes last year and 27 the year before. He could see those numbers double in 2020. Bell and Dalton Schultz will also see playing time but aren’t expected to do much damage in the receiving game. Nothing star-studded, but it’s a solid group.

7.) Cornerback. The loss of Byron Jones is a significant one. Dallas will look to replace its top defensive back with several players. The Cowboys drafted Trevon Diggs in the second round and Reggie Robinson II in the fourth. They also signed veterans Maurice Canady and Daryl Worley. The top returning corners are Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis and Anthony Brown. Those three have combined to start 82 NFL games. Mike McCarthy has made it known that he wants an aggressive secondary that forces turnovers. That hasn’t been a strength for the Cowboys over the last five years. Does that mean more opportunities for players like Diggs and Robinson II, or do the experienced players benefit from playing a different style?

6.) Defensive line. There are a lot of moving parts and questions here. Do the Cowboys use Tyrone Crawford as an end or a tackle? Does Aldon Smith or Randy Gregory get reinstated? If so, do either make an impact? Are Dorance Armstrong or Joe Jackson ready for a bigger role? Does rookie edge rusher Bradlee Anae push Armstrong or Jackson for playing time? There are a lot of pieces to work with for new D-line coach Jim Tomsula. Everything starts with DeMarcus Lawrence, who is expected to rush the passer from a variety of spots. Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe bring experience to the middle of the line. Trysten Hill and Neville Gallimore are two young options to compete for snaps alongside those two veterans. But unlike previous years under Rod Marinelli, no one really knows what to expect. With the new coaching staff, the Cowboys’ front seven should have the most noticeable changes of any area on the team.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones provided the latest update on Smith and Gregory during a Pro Football Talk interview last Friday.

“We haven’t heard anything (about when they could possibly be reinstated),” Jones said. “For sure, Aldon has been in front of the commissioner. He’s waiting to hear back. I’m not exactly sure (with Gregory), sometimes we’re not privy to that. We’re not sure when we’ll hear something. Obviously the league is looking out for their best interests as men off the field. Certainly, that’s what’s first and foremost, and our priority is how they’re coming off the field. And ultimately if they get to a point, which we think they can, that Roger (Goodell) feels like they can come back to work and play football, and that’s in their best interest in addition to what they need off the field, then certainly we will welcome them back and go to work.”

5.) Linebacker. This is a little bit of a projection in regards to the health of Leighton Vander Esch. If he’s fully recovered from his neck issue and playing like he did as a rookie, this group is in good shape. Everything coming from the Cowboys and Vander Esch’s camp has been very positive. Add in Jaylon Smith, Sean Lee, Thomas, Luke Gifford plus Thomas and March, and there’s some solid starting experience and depth. Also keep an eye on undrafted rookie free agent Francis Bernard out of Utah. He’s a player most projected would be drafted last month and could end up grabbing one of the final linebacker spots when the roster is trimmed.

4.) Offensive line. There was a time when this would clearly be No. 1; however, two things have knocked it down the list. First is the loss of Frederick. Second: although Tyron Smith made his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl, he also missed three games last season for the fourth consecutive year because of injury. Having standouts like Zack Martin and La’el Collins should keep Dallas among the better O-lines in the game. That said, the center and left guard positions have questions that need to be answered. Center will likely come down to veteran Joe Looney or fourth-round pick Tyler Biadasz. Left guard looks to be a battle between 2018 second-round pick Connor Williams and 2019 third-round pick Connor McGovern. Veteran Cameron Erving, a 2015 first-round pick, should provide solid depth at both the tackle spots and on the inside, if needed.

3.) Running back. Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard make a very good one-two punch at the position. Elliott has won two of the last four rushing titles. Pollard rushed for 455 yards and two touchdowns during his rookie season last year. Both backs have the ability to carry the load or be used as an effective receiver out of the backfield. Even with a new coaching staff, Elliott is expected to remain the team’s workhorse back. He has carried over 300 times in three of his four years in Dallas.

2.) Quarterback. The addition of Dalton gives the Cowboys one of the best backup quarterbacks in the league. Dak Prescott hasn’t missed a start during his four NFL seasons, but if anything happens, Dalton gives them a nine-year starter with a winning record. Prescott is coming off his best statistical season, throwing for 4,902 yards and 30 touchdowns, both career-highs. His 99.7 passer rating was second only to his rookie-of-the-year season (104.9). Although Jerry Jones and Co. are still working through a long-term contract extension with Prescott, one is expected to eventually get done to ensure Prescott remains Dallas’ franchise QB well into the future. He is currently under the team’s franchise tag.

1.) Wide Receiver. There are players on the team like Amari Cooper and Prescott who view Michael Gallup as a No. 1 wide receiver. He caught 66 passes for 1,107 yards and six touchdowns last season. That’s excellent production for a player who could be the No. 3 wide receiver on the Cowboys’ roster going forward. Drafting Lamb last month moved this position group from the middle of the pack to the top. The depth behind the top three isn’t great, but the combination of Cooper, Lamb and Gallup puts the Cowboys in the conversation for best wide receiver trio in the league. Their top competition would probably be the Cardinals (DeAndre Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk), Chiefs (Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Mecole Hardman), Bills (Stefon Diggs, John Brown, Cole Beasley) and Rams (Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Van Jefferson). It’s difficult to project how all three Cowboys wide receivers will perform working together. They’ve never played together, they won’t get the typical offseason reps together because of COVID-19, Dallas has a new coaching staff and rookie receivers don’t usually hit the ground running. But I’m projecting a big year from Lamb, and that puts this group in the No. 1 spot. Some notable rookie 1,000-yard wide receivers in the last six years: A.J. Brown (2019), Michael Thomas (2016), Cooper (2015), Odell Beckham Jr. (2014), Mike Evans (2014) and Kelvin Benjamin (2014).

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Excitement Excitement Excitement, that is the feel to start this season. Sure it may not end the right way but the ride is a hell of a lot better.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If we're just talking about the 2020 season I don't agree that the safety position is the weakest group on the team. I'd definitely rate the group above the TE and ST groups.

Also, now that Richard and Marinelli are gone, I'm even more intrigued to see if Donovan Wilson has a future in this league. The guy had a strong preseason last year and most of us were disappointed that he didn't receive more playing time during the regular season. But as we've seen over the last few years, being a consistent play maker isn't enough to earn playing time from Richard.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we're just talking about the 2020 season I don't agree that the safety position is the weakest group on the team. I'd definitely rate the group above the TE and ST groups.

Also, now that Richard and Marinelli are gone, I'm even more intrigued to see if Donovan Wilson has a future in this league. The guy had a strong preseason last year and most of us were disappointed that he didn't receive more playing time during the regular season. But as we've seen over the last few years, being a consistent play maker isn't enough to earn playing time from Richard.
Yeah I'd say Haha and Woods is at least a middle of the pack safety group. They are both solid but not spectacular at this point.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Right now, the TE group has got to be the least, we like what we got in Jarwin, but is anyone else confident after him?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Right now, the TE group has got to be the least, we like what we got in Jarwin, but is anyone else confident after him?
Blake Bell and Schultz will be mainly used as blockers, which Jarwin kinda blows at doing

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Until we upgrade at punter I think special teams is the weakest group. DL is also still a huge question mark, as is TE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Until we upgrade at punter I think special teams is the weakest group. DL is also still a huge question mark, as is TE.
Yeah I think we are good at kicker and we will get the team fixed in terms of coverage and returns through our players on the roster. But I'm with you, punter is just a stinking pile of shit still with Chris Jones. I don't think a coach can just fix a punter. The guy either has the leg strength or he doesn't. And I don't see it with Chris Jones.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life

that may be so, but i want to hope our ST coach can make some changes to get us through this year and than give him a player or two. I dont know if many changes will be made on ST, but i am hoping he makes the changes he can make and get the squad to perform to Par at worst.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wonder why no moves on punter as yet

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
that may be so, but i want to hope our ST coach can make some changes to get us through this year and than give him a player or two. I dont know if many changes will be made on ST, but i am hoping he makes the changes he can make and get the squad to perform to Par at worst.
Punter is one of the easiest and cheapest positions to find. No reason to not at least try right now.

Jones was mediocre at his best. He was awful last year. We won't lose much if we move on.

Top Bottom