Machota: Expecting big things from Mike McCarthy in Year 1? History says pump the brakes

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
It all goes back to who made who. Was Rodgers great because of McCarthy or was McCarthy great because of Rodgers. I’d lean to the latter because Rodgers is undoubtedly an all timer who easily covered for McCarthys miscues and stupid offensive decisions in big games.
I do believe McCarthy is a much better coach than Garrett was and I think that gets us a few more season wins and a deep run in the playoffs. Just not sure he gets us to a SB.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
It all goes back to who made who. Was Rodgers great because of McCarthy or was McCarthy great because of Rodgers. I’d lean to the latter because Rodgers is undoubtedly an all timer who easily covered for McCarthys miscues and stupid offensive decisions in big games.
I do believe McCarthy is a much better coach than Garrett was and I think that gets us a few more season wins and a deep run in the playoffs. Just not sure he gets us to a SB.

legit concerns, harder to go to the SB without a HoF QB. I truly think Dak and EE would have gone to the SB their rookie seasons if Garrett didnt screw it up, so for that, i think there is enough for MM to get to the SB, he just has to try as hard as Garrett did to not get there.

i think everyone can agree the talent is there, the rest will depend on the season. who gets hot, who doesnt, injuries and so forth

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think too dominant a QB can make a coach actually worse.

QB's always want to pass the football more than it should be passed.

McCarthy for example called pass plays way too often because Rodgers would improbably succeed and in spectacular fashion.

One mark of Troy Aikman's greatness was knowing and accepting how important Emmitt's running was to the team.

Top Bottom