Machota: Expectations for new Cowboys defensive end Dante Fowler? ‘I just want to win’

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Jon Machota
6m ago

Dan Quinn’s first interaction with Dante Fowler came while the standout edge rusher was still attending Lakewood High School in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Fowler, ranked the No. 28 player in the country by Rivals.com in the 2012 recruiting class, had been a long-time commit to Florida State. Quinn, Florida’s defensive coordinator and defensive line coach at the time, was a major factor in Fowler flipping to the Gators on national signing day.

Eight years later, Quinn played a similar role in getting Fowler to sign with the Atlanta Falcons. Last month, Quinn got it done a third time when he helped convince Fowler to sign with the Cowboys, a one-year, $3 million deal.

“He knows the ins and outs of me, on the field and off,” Fowler said Monday of Dallas’ second-year defensive coordinator. “He knows my family. He knows me personally. I think this is a real cool thing because I think he’s going to help me out on the field and off the field, just as far as having everything in order and doing the right things. When you do that type of stuff, everything takes care of itself.

“This is a fresh start, and I think I needed that. He was willing to give me a chance to come here, so I’m excited for that.”

What’s maybe the most interesting aspect of their relationship is that they haven’t worked together very long. Quinn coached Fowler for one season at Florida before becoming defensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks in 2013. Fowler signed a three-year, $45 million deal with Atlanta in 2020, but Quinn was fired as head coach only five games into that season.

Fowler is hoping this time around lasts much longer.

“He’s just a real dude,” Fowler said. “He’s a guy that you want to play for. I’m fine with just playing for him for the rest of my life, to be honest with you. That’s the type of coach he is.”

In an offseason that has seen the Cowboys lose key starters like WR Amari Cooper being traded to the Cleveland Browns, DE Randy Gregory signing with the Denver Broncos and OT La’el Collins being released and then signing with the Cincinnati Bengals, Fowler is the most notable addition with the highest upside. It also should be noted that the third overall pick in the 2015 draft will be playing this season for his fourth NFL team.

Injuries and off-the-field issues led to the Jacksonville Jaguars trading Fowler to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks in 2018. Fowler signed a one-year, $12 million contract to stay with the Rams in 2019. He then had the best season of his career, totaling career-highs with 11 1/2 sacks, 16 tackles for loss and 16 quarterback hits.

The breakout season led to his big payday from Quinn and the Falcons. But in 28 games over the past two seasons, he has combined for only 7 1/2 sacks, 10 tackles for loss and 16 QB hits.

Why wasn’t he more productive? Fowler points to injuries. He suffered a high ankle sprain going into the 2020 season. He later tested positive for COVID-19 and then pulled a hamstring. Last year, Fowler said he fractured his tibia early in the season. When he came back from injured reserve, his reps were limited. He then strained his calf.

Fowler, who turns 28 in August, says those injuries have motivated him to put a bigger emphasis this offseason on taking care of his body. The Cowboys officially started their voluntary offseason workouts on Monday at The Star. Fowler was in attendance, hoping to add some upper body strength going into the season. The Cowboys list him at 6-3, 261 pounds. For comparison, DeMarcus Lawrence is listed at 6-3, 265.

“I’m just going out here and playing my tail off, doing everything I have to do, whatever my role is for this team and do it at 1,000 percent,” Fowler said. “Everything else will take care of itself. I don’t have any (statistical goals). I just want to win.”

The plan is for Lawrence to remain the team’s starting left defensive end with Fowler likely competing with Dorance Armstrong for the starting right end spot that has opened up with the loss of Gregory. Fowler has shown that he can contribute on either side and provide a presence against the run and the pass.

While making his free agency decision last month, Fowler looked over Dallas’ roster, particularly what the team had on defense, and saw a group with a chance to make a Super Bowl run. He specifically mentioned NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Micah Parsons, Lawrence, Armstrong, DE Tarell Basham, LB Leighton Vander Esch, CB Trevon Diggs, CB Anthony Brown and S Jayron Kearse.

Fowler has played in six playoff games in his career, helping the Jaguars reach the AFC Championship Game in 2017 and the Rams reach the Super Bowl in 2018. He had a sack, a tackle for loss and a QB hit against Dallas in the Rams’ 30-22 divisional-round win over the Cowboys in 2018.

“I take pride in just trying to get to the ball,” Fowler said, “because when you’re around the ball, most of the time you make plays. I take great pride in that. I also try to set the tone. I have a lot of stuff in my game, I’m just tuning it up right now. I’m in the lab, working with these guys at this beautiful facility. I’m just taking it day by day.”

Both sides seem to be in a good situation. The Cowboys need to make up for the loss of Gregory and get more pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Fowler needs to have a productive season so he can get another lucrative contract while in the prime years of his career. If it doesn’t work out, the Cowboys only made a minimal investment. If it does, they might have just found their right defensive end for the next few years.

“I would love to be a Cowboy long term,” Fowler said. “But right now, I just want to come in here and contribute and do what I have to do for the team so we can get these wins and get to the Super Bowl.”

Top Bottom