Machota: Cowboys positional review - Will Dallas get the running game back on track?

shane

DCC 4Life
Zeke was intended as a Murray replacement while we were contending in Romo’s last couple of years. Turns out it was Romo’s last couple of minutes.

Definitely extenuating circumstances that led to his going top five. Consolation prize was he took the brunt of punishment while Dak developed.
I'd definitely prefer Ramsey in retrospect. Considering who went before him, I did like the pick at the time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd definitely prefer Ramsey in retrospect. Considering who went before him, I did like the pick at the time.
Zeke made a much greater impact than Ramsey, IMO, his first five seasons.

Had he come to Dallas we’d have had one of those hollow shell defenses the Joneses are so proud of and guaranteed Dak would not have developed into the player he has become.

If the Joneses had their way, defense would be built from the back to the front and only on the edges. That paper thin veneer makes them so damned happy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zeke made a much greater impact than Ramsey, IMO, his first five seasons.

Had he come to Dallas we’d have had one of those hollow shell defenses the Joneses are so proud of and guaranteed Dak would not have developed into the player he has become.

If the Joneses had their way, defense would be built from the back to the front and only on the edges. That paper thin veneer makes them so damned happy.
Depends who the RB would have been. But yeah Zeke was huge for 3 years. But give me the long term star.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Depends who the RB would have been. But yeah Zeke was huge for 3 years. But give me the long term star.
In general, yeah, but this was a "critical last piece" kind of pick given where we were in the playoff hunt when Romo last played. These were to be Romo's last years and the OL was already the premier group in the country.

Since we had lost Murray and had added journeymen RB since, the elite RB in this case really made sense to capitalize on our investment. We needed someone who at times would command the entire focus of the defense. That wasn't Darren MacFadden.

I wanted Buckner first and foremost but I also wanted Zeke with Henry also an option in round 2.

When Romo went down for good, the whole strategy went up in flames.

Enabling the rapid development of Dak with that OL and RB was a consolation prize of sorts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In general, yeah, but this was a "critical last piece" kind of pick given where we were in the playoff hunt when Romo last played. These were to be Romo's last years and the OL was already the premier group in the country.

Since we had lost Murray and had added journeymen RB since, the elite RB in this case really made sense to capitalize on our investment. We needed someone who at times would command the entire focus of the defense. That wasn't Darren MacFadden.

I wanted Buckner first and foremost but I also wanted Zeke with Henry also an option in round 2.

When Romo went down for good, the whole strategy went up in flames.

Enabling the rapid development of Dak with that OL and RB was a consolation prize of sorts.
I mean had we taken Henry over Jaylon Smith and not Zeke in the first things would have turned out excellent. But yeah a big part of Zekes early success and development was having a great running game to rely on.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If we have better line health/play I think Zeke should bounce back and be adequate

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we have better line health/play I think Zeke should bounce back and be adequate
If he would stop fucking fumbling I agree. I think he got a handle on it as the season went on though. Not sure what his deal was, maybe the dude actually needs preseason and camp for once.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If he would stop fucking fumbling I agree. I think he got a handle on it as the season went on though. Not sure what his deal was, maybe the dude actually needs preseason and camp for once.
I hope his mom lit a fire under his ass. A less fat Zeke would be ideal.

p1_

DCC 4Life
he seems to average around 4 fumbles per season or 1 every 70 carries.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah early last season it seemed like he fumbled every game once and sometimes more than once. Not all lost fumbles but that's mostly luck. But he did clean it up eventually.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I would be for drafting Sermon, Stevenson, or Jefferson in the mid to late rounds.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dude needs to be cut as soon as it’s at all feasible.

Just a terrible contract. Signed him huge when Melvin Gordon proved there was no market.

Easy to say in hindsight of course

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Dude needs to be cut as soon as it’s at all feasible.

Just a terrible contract. Signed him huge when Melvin Gordon proved there was no market.

Easy to say in hindsight of course

to be honest, it wasnt even in hindsight, a lot of people saw the RB market tumbling.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
to be honest, it wasnt even in hindsight, a lot of people saw the RB market tumbling.
Yeah, and not so much the RB market, but that Romo’s career would end so abruptly.

Going all in on Romo was why they bypassed conventional wisdom and drafted Zeke.

data

Forbes #1
Yeah, and not so much the RB market, but that Romo’s career would end so abruptly.

Going all in on Romo was why they bypassed conventional wisdom and drafted Zeke.
Gotta luv that ole shuckster, Jerruh. Going for the gloryhole and all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

The market had zero to do with it.

Thinking we would be fine with Joe Randle and McFadden was a bigger deal. Romo was at his best in a run first offense with a threat, not where he was supposed to establish the tempo.

Top Bottom