Machota: Cowboys positional review - Will Dallas get the running game back on track?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Jon Machota 2h ago

The Cowboys have continued following their plan of not spending big in free agency. They have filled some holes and added depth, but most of the notable remaining roster changes will come via this month’s NFL Draft.

This is the sixth installment of a nine-part series split up among position groups.

Part 1: Defensive line
Part 2: Linebackers
Part 3: Defensive backs
Part 4: Offensive line
Part 5: Quarterbacks

We moved over to the offensive side of the ball last week. We now shift our focus to the running back position.

How the running backs performed in 2020:

There was a time not long ago when the Cowboys were built around one of the NFL’s top rushing attacks. The emphasis began with DeMarco Murray and an elite offensive line in 2014 and carried through when Ezekiel Elliott was drafted fourth overall in 2016. But over the last two seasons, Dallas hasn’t returned to the success it had during the combined three rushing titles by Murray and Elliott in 2014, 2016 and 2018. Three running backs finished with more yards than Elliott in 2019. Nine running backs and a quarterback (Lamar Jackson) rushed for more yards than Elliott last season.

Last year was Elliott’s worst statistical season of his five-year career. His 979 rushing yards, 4.0 yards per carry and six rushing touchdowns were all career lows. He also matched a career-high with six fumbles, losing four.

Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick retiring before the season didn’t help. Things were then made much worse when starting right tackle La’el Collins missed the entire season, starting left tackle Tyron Smith missed all but two games and starting right guard Zack Martin missed six games.

Elliott was at his best in the games following a week when he did not play. Week 1 against the Rams, after the bye against the Vikings in Week 11, and against the Eagles in Week 16 after a calf injury kept him out the previous week.

“I was very impressed with Zeke from Day 1 in person,” Mike McCarthy said after the season. “I don’t have the concerns the outside opinion has. I think it’s been a tough year as far as running the ball and the way we ran the ball compared to maybe some of his past experiences. But I have no concerns about Zeke. I think he’s a big-time player and he will continue to be the feature component of our offense.”

Backup running back Tony Pollard saw his average come down from 5.3 yards per carry as a rookie to 4.3 yards per attempt last season. Like with Elliott, constantly having a new starting offensive line combination didn’t help. But Pollard played well starting in place of Elliott in Week 15. He finished with 69 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries against the 49ers. He also caught six passes for 63 yards.

There wasn’t much activity behind Elliott and Pollard. Undrafted rookie Rico Dowdle carried seven times for 24 yards. Veteran fullback Jamize Olawale opted out of the 2020 season because of COVID-19 concerns.

Tony Pollard (Brad Rempel / USA Today)

The future:

Elliott and Pollard remain the present and the future. Elliott, who turns 26 in July, is under contract for six more years, however, the team could get out of the final four years of the deal after the 2022 season. His salary became fully guaranteed through the 2022 season when he remained on the roster last month on the fifth day of the new league year.

Elliott will continue to be Dallas’ lead back this upcoming season. What might change, though, is that Pollard, who has two years remaining on his rookie deal, could see an increase to his workload. He was the more explosive back last season, turning in four runs of 20-or-more yards. Elliott finished with only three despite getting 143 more carries than Pollard.

Offensive coordinator Kellen Moore has to continue finding ways to get both backs involved. And that won’t be easy with all of the weapons they should have at wide receiver and tight end.

The biggest impact on the future is that it’s highly unlikely Dallas will spend significantly on a running back again any time soon. The Cowboys made Elliott the game’s highest-paid back at six years, $90 million before the start of the 2019 season. The big spending on the position has proven not to be worth it across the NFL.

How things could change this offseason:

Noticeable changes are not expected. The Cowboys could add a player at the position in the late rounds or in undrafted free agency, but it’s unlikely to be anyone who would impact Elliott and Pollard getting almost all of the workload.

Elliott said last offseason that he spent extra time improving his game as a receiver. He could see more opportunities in that area, but ultimately, they need him to be the answer in the red zone and in short-yardage situations. More explosive runs wouldn’t hurt, either.

There were times last season when critics called for Pollard to get the bulk of the workload even after Elliott returned from injury. McCarthy seems to have no interest in that idea. That’s very unlikely to happen as long as Elliott is healthy. But with a big contract comes lofty expectations. Elliott is being paid to be one of the league’s top backs and the Cowboys need him to perform like one if they’re going to get back to winning games against good teams, particularly on the road late in the season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think we could use a third back.

Elliott and Pollard get the goods, but a sharp toolsy third guy would be nice.

You can get one of those in the sixth or seventh.

I like Dowdle, based off limited views, but he is replaceable. Just don't pick a one dimensional back like Bo Scarborough.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think we could use a third back.

Elliott and Pollard get the goods, but a sharp toolsy third guy would be nice.

You can get one of those in the sixth or seventh.

I like Dowdle, based off limited views, but he is replaceable. Just don't pick a one dimensional back like Bo Scarborough.
Michael Carter please

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's were I think he will go
Wait, so you would take him in the 6-7 range but you would agree that he will go in the 4-5 range. Kinda like I said I wouldn't take Will Fuller in the spot he was projected, but I didn't agree with that draft spot?

Is this the same thing? 2 rounds later? I got roasted by you over the Fuller pick. Same same.

Hmm..

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait, so you would take him in the 6-7 range but you would agree that he will go in the 4-5 range. Kinda like I said I wouldn't take Will Fuller in the spot he was projected, but I didn't agree with that draft spot?

Is this the same thing? 2 rounds later? I got roasted by you over the Fuller pick. Same same.

Hmm..
The difference is I was joking in this instance because Booze mentioned a RB in the sixth or seventh round and Schidty said he would love if it was that particular RB. I was jokingly saying absolutely I'd take him in the sixth or seventh.

Bit of a far cry from saying I'd take a first round pick in the late rounds. As though I have no idea he is going in the first round...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He would be good value in the third round.
I agree although I wouldn't for the Cowboys specifically. Just don't think we will use 3 RBs and they are generally just wasted years when a guy sits on the bench. My guess is he goes in the fourth round. Only because RBs generally aren't viewed as highly.

data

Forbes #1
Is it too early to draft Elliotts replacement for 2023?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Maybe, if you mean earmarking an early round pick for it.

But it's not too early to find a later round guy who maybe has bellcow potential, and it's definitely not too early to find Pollard's replacement.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Michael Carter and Javonte Williams are studs, book it. It doesn’t matter when we would take them, they would end up with very meaningful roles here soon.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Michael Carter and Javonte Williams are studs, book it. It doesn’t matter when we would take them, they would end up with very meaningful roles here soon.
They are good players. They are still RBs though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sure, just saying, they are the kind of guys you grab somewhere between the 2nd and 4th and they are 1,000 yard backs someday.
Homer.

But you are not wrong like you were with Trubisky.

Williams breaks tackles like wow.

shane

DCC 4Life
Yes, if it's not a 6th or 7th rounder. It's not a position you should ever put a high pick on. Elliott was a bad pick looking back but it worked out because of Prescott.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yes, if it's not a 6th or 7th rounder. It's not a position you should ever put a high pick on. Elliott was a bad pick looking back but it worked out because of Prescott.
Zeke was intended as a Murray replacement while we were contending in Romo’s last couple of years. Turns out it was Romo’s last couple of minutes.

Definitely extenuating circumstances that led to his going top five. Consolation prize was he took the brunt of punishment while Dak developed.

Top Bottom