Machota: Cowboys positional review - What to expect of Leighton Vander Esch, Jaylon Smith

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Jon Machota 55m ago

With NFL free agency in its second week and the draft still planned for the end of April, we’re taking a look at the Cowboys’ roster to see where it has depth and where it still needs help.

How the linebackers performed in 2019:

This position was probably the biggest disappointment on last year’s roster. A group led by Leighton Vander Esch, Jaylon Smith and Sean Lee was expected to be one of the best units in the NFL and one of the Cowboys’ greatest strengths. Instead, Vander Esch and Smith didn’t make the same impact they did in 2018, and the entire defense became better known for missed tackles than game-changing plays.

Vander Esch got off to a slow start to his second season and then began dealing with a nerve issue in his neck. He didn’t play again after Week 11. Smith made his first Pro Bowl, as he tied for sixth in the NFL with 142 total tackles, but looked less than ideal in coverage. Lee played well down the stretch, filling in for Vander Esch and proving he still had some gas left in his tank after 10 NFL seasons. Lee finished second on the team in tackles with 86 and turned in one of the best performances of his career in a Week 15 win over the Los Angeles Rams.

The Cowboys had good depth at the position with key reserves like Joe Thomas, Justin March, Chris Covington, Luke Gifford and late-season addition (and former Super Bowl MVP) Malcolm Smith.

The future:

The Cowboys front office has said all offseason that they expect a full recovery from Vander Esch, who had neck surgery in January. The expectation was that he would be a full participant in the offseason program.

“He is 100 percent in my eyes,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said last month. “One-hundred percent. That situation was not in any way going to compromise him. There are aspects to it that you want to be aware of. But not from a standpoint of that he has to take something off his game or has to do something differently. It was just a rare thing that created that problem for him.”

There’s no reason why the combination of Vander Esch and Smith shouldn’t be one of the league’s best linebacker duos. They both have exceptional athletic ability that fits well with today’s style of play with more nickel and dime packages. Both linebackers showed incredible potential in 2018, making key plays in several big games.

Jones noted the lack of big games from key players when asked last month about why the team significantly disappointed last season.

“I just think we, at critical times — critical games — we didn’t meet the mark,” he said. “Across the board, we had top players that didn’t step up. And when I say step up, have big games against some of the better teams. And that has to do with why we have really, in the last two years, we’ve really made some pretty dramatic (coaching changes).”

The hope is that new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and his veteran staff can spark the group. Nolan coached the Saints linebackers over the last three seasons. He coached the Chargers linebackers in 2015. Scott McCurley was hired to be the Cowboys’ linebackers coach in January. McCurley was a longtime assistant on Mike McCarthy’s coaching staff in Green Bay.

“I’m excited to start to build a relationship with them, to begin with,” McCurley said of Vander Esch, Smith and Lee. “They’re good people, and that’s where it’s all going to start with our relationship and how we build that relationship, the respect and the trust and all those things. Because on the football field, they’re talented. Across the board, their skills and skill set, we can work with that. And we can build and get them to grow. They’ve already accomplished a lot. We’re looking to build off of that. We’re looking to grow and get them better every day.”

How things could continue changing this offseason:

During McCurley’s time in Green Bay, the Packers went from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4, a transition the Cowboys have the personnel to make. The Saints were in a 4-3 defense with Nolan the last three years, but Nolan was part of a 3-4 scheme with the Chargers in 2015. Vander Esch and Smith have the ability to be inside linebackers in a 3-4 scheme. Lee was drafted to be an inside linebacker when the Cowboys were running a 3-4 defense in 2010.

McCarthy has said that he wants to be a four-down-lineman defense, but has also noted that the Cowboys will be multiple, looking for the best ways to get their top playmakers on the field.

In regards to the personnel, it should look very similar to last season. Vander Esch is under contract through the 2021 season and the Cowboys hold his fifth-year rookie contract option that could keep him signed through 2022. Smith is signed through 2025 but there is a potential out in his contract after the 2021 season. Lee re-signed on a one-year deal last week. The Cowboys also re-signed Thomas and March to one-year deals last week.

A potential sleeper candidate in the group is Gifford. He was an undrafted player they signed last year who suffered a left high ankle sprain during Dallas’ first preseason game at San Francisco. He returned to play on special teams for six games but then fractured his left arm in Week 15. The previous coaching staff thought a lot of his ability. It’s unlikely that Dallas would target a linebacker in the draft until maybe one of the final rounds.

The Cowboys need to be much better on special teams, and this group of linebackers will have a significant impact on improving that unit.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jerry with the kiss of death for LVE.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
everything has to change, culture, direction , expectation and of course, attitude. this team doesnt stride with swagger, that has got to be returned.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
everything has to change, culture, direction , expectation and of course, attitude. this team doesnt stride with swagger, that has got to be returned.
You’ll get stuck with the Jones culture, and like every second of it.

Nothing has changed...Jerry still right there giving out out medical diagnosis's. Remember during the season when they claimed LVE just had a stinger and would be back in 2 games? Good times.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The culture of flat out lying to everyone about team injuries has to go.

They think they’re being coy and ambiguous like Belichick, but instead it just come across as non-credible marketing spin.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
You’ll get stuck with the Jones culture, and like every second of it.

Nothing has changed...Jerry still right there giving out out medical diagnosis's. Remember during the season when they claimed LVE just had a stinger and would be back in 2 games? Good times.

I cant argue with that, i know we all dont like it, but that doesnt mean you are wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The culture of flat out lying to everyone about team injuries has to go.

They think they’re being coy and ambiguous like Belichick, but instead it just come across as non-credible marketing spin.
I don't care if they lie to the fans, although I'd rather them just not say anything. But it's them telling lies to themselves that worries me. That they are overly optimistic with themselves.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nolan was a LB coach with the Saints and before George Edwards became a coordinator he was almost exclusively a LB coach. If those two can't get them playing at a high level, not to mention our actual LB coach, then nobody will.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Nolan was a LB coach with the Saints and before George Edwards became a coordinator he was almost exclusively a LB coach. If those two can't get them playing at a high level, not to mention our actual LB coach, then nobody will.
Jaylon was lost out there without LVE, so it would be great to have them together again.

With these LB coaches and bigger/better DTs in front of them, Smith ought to return to and surpass his 2018 form.

I don't trust that LVE will be around for long, though, and would like a big MLB early in the draft.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Has anyone actually seen or heard a medical report on The guy from medical people.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hopefully they keep an open mind and if a LB is the best talent, they take him.

This is a very shaky unit.

Lee has one foot in the grave. Vander Esch's neck could explode. And Smith is pretty much a crapshoot.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't care if they lie to the fans, although I'd rather them just not say anything. But it's them telling lies to themselves that worries me. That they are overly optimistic with themselves.
The players use the same media the fans do. When the front office comes across as lying/delusional it fosters a false culture.

It’s like Soviet Russia was, when everyday citizens felt obliged to shovel the same bullshit their KGB-led asshole government spin meisters. It undermines the culture itself, creates a fake veneer no matter how well-intentioned.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wouldn’t it be nice to draft a legit starter LB for once? Not injury prone teases like Carter, Lee, Smith, and LVE.

Smith isn’t the player he was before wrecking his knee, and nor will Vander Esch be post fricking neck surgery.

The whole squad feels false, barring miraculous returns.

Thankfully we are more solid up front, but even those “new” DTs are old and injury prone.

I think we almost have to trade up for Kinlaw.

A lbig, fast, and talented beast in the middle of the defense. A difference-maker we can legit build around.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So no one has actually been able to confirm whether Vander Esch is actually out or is possibly going to be declared able to return? I haven’t seen anything definitively either way. Or I have missed something.

Rev

Staff member
So no one has actually been able to confirm whether Vander Esch is actually out or is possibly going to be declared able to return? I haven’t seen anything definitively either way. Or I have missed something.
The only thing that I have seen is this article with Jerry speaking about it. Given how he sugarcoats everything I don't believe a word coming out of his mouth concerning a lot of things. Its even worse when he's talking about players recovering from surgery.

All I have to go on is the fact that my wife had this surgery over a year ago and she still hasn't recovered from it. In fact it has completely changed her life for the worse in a lot of aspects. Maybe he gets lucky but I have my doubts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only thing that I have seen is this article with Jerry speaking about it. Given how he sugarcoats everything I don't believe a word coming out of his mouth concerning a lot of things. Its even worse when he's talking about players recovering from surgery.

All I have to go on is the fact that my wife had this surgery over a year ago and she still hasn't recovered from it. In fact it has completely changed her life for the worse in a lot of aspects. Maybe he gets lucky but I have my doubts.
I feel for your wife but it's hard to compare average Joe's with professional athletes. We don't even really know what procedure Vander Esch had at this point. If HIPAA didn't exist and someone was actually able to look at the medical records it might be a little different. On top of that players get the best doctors in the world, the best treatments, the best rehab doctors and they are in pretty good physical shape. So it's sort of hard to base their recovery on what the recovery of someone like me or you might have.

I guess all I'm saying is none of us really have any idea. We will either randomly and suddenly get a retirement notice or he will go out and play a 16 game season at a high level. Or somewhere in between. It sucks but that's all we know right now.

Rev

Staff member
I feel for your wife but it's hard to compare average Joe's with professional athletes. We don't even really know what procedure Vander Esch had at this point. If HIPAA didn't exist and someone was actually able to look at the medical records it might be a little different. On top of that players get the best doctors in the world, the best treatments, the best rehab doctors and they are in pretty good physical shape. So it's sort of hard to base their recovery on what the recovery of someone like me or you might have.

I guess all I'm saying is none of us really have any idea. We will either randomly and suddenly get a retirement notice or he will go out and play a 16 game season at a high level. Or somewhere in between. It sucks but that's all we know right now.
I understand all that but nerves are nerves and when you mess around that area it really doesnt matter who you are.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Okay. That’s about what I though. His actual condition and the possible success of a surgical procedure are not known to anyone and everything is opinion or conjecture. I know I haven’t seen any actual reports or articles on it but it would probably be in Vander Esch’s personal interest to keep a lid on it until he knows for certain he is good to go. Keeping a lid on it however creates suspicion and doubt so there’s that.

Top Bottom