Machota: Cowboys positional review - The changes to expect from Dallas’ defensive line

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Jon Machota Feb 26, 2021

With NFL free agency less than a month away, we’re breaking down the Cowboys roster to see where it has depth and where it will need to find help in the near future.
This is the first installment of a nine-part series split up among position groups.

We are beginning with the defense and Part 1 is all about the defensive line.

How the defensive line performed in 2020:

The Cowboys finished tied for 20th in the NFL last season with 31 sacks. They were even worse when it came to quarterback pressures, finishing 25th with 132. They ranked 27th in tackles for loss with only 54.

To compare, Dallas had eight more sacks, 17 more pressures and 22 more tackles for loss in 2019.

And although there was a scheme change under new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and new defensive line coach Jim Tomsula, the Cowboys continued to get the majority of their pass rush from the players up front. They blitzed only 23 percent of the time, the same percentage as 2019. Only the Eagles, Bears, Browns, Colts and Chargers blitzed less in 2020.

The biggest personnel changes along the defensive line last season were the free agency additions of veteran edge rushers Aldon Smith and Everson Griffen and veteran defensive tackles Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe. Edge rusher Randy Gregory was also reinstated from suspension and played in 10 games after not having played in 2019. The Cowboys also drafted defensive tackle Neville Gallimore in the third round. The biggest losses were defensive end Robert Quinn and defensive tackle Maliek Collins leaving in free agency and defensive end Michael Bennett retiring.

The expectation was that being more multiple up front would lead to better results than Dallas had been getting from a more predictable defensive scheme in previous years. But the changes being implemented during the restrictions of a global pandemic proved to be a disaster. The Cowboys finished with the NFL’s second-worst run defense and one of the worst overall defenses in franchise history. No team in franchise history allowed more points than the 473 Dallas allowed in 2020.

All of that blame is spread throughout the entire defense, but the issues started up front.

DeMarcus Lawrence, the team’s best defender and highest-paid player in franchise history, was asked to change his game, rushing more from a two-point stance as opposed to his normal three-point stance. He never appeared comfortable rushing in a stand-up position, which was a much better fit for Smith. Eventually, poor results on the field and frustration from players led to Nolan dialing back the changes.

Lawrence ended up leading the team with only 6.5 sacks. Smith totaled five. Gregory finished with 3.5.

McCoy suffered a season-ending quad injury before the season started. Griffen and Poe were so ineffective that neither was on the roster by Week 8. Griffen was traded to the Lions and Poe was released.

The future:

For the second consecutive offseason, noticeable changes are coming. Nolan and Tomsula were fired at the end of the season, opening the door for new defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

The expectation is that the former Falcons head coach will have the defense switch back to something that looks much more like the base 4-3 scheme they were running under Rod Marinelli from 2013 through 2019. Quinn’s specialty is defensive line play. His first coaching job was defensive line coach at William & Mary in 1994. He later was defensive line coach for the 49ers, Dolphins, Jets and Seahawks before becoming Seattle’s defensive coordinator in 2013.

Look for Lawrence and Gregory to be the major pieces at defensive end while Trysten Hill and Gallimore will be heavily involved at defensive tackle. There are others who will likely play key roles, like end Dorance Armstrong and tackle Antwaun Woods. But both end and tackle spots still need help in free agency and the draft.

Randy Gregory (Tim Heitman / USA Today)

How things could change this offseason:

The Cowboys have been much quieter than in previous offseasons. Quinn has not been made available to local reporters and there hasn’t been much said by Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones or Mike McCarthy since the season ended.

As usual, the Cowboys aren’t expected to be major players in free agency, but they should be able to add a couple of veterans so they aren’t forced to draft solely for need.

Smith and McCoy are two names to keep an eye on. If Smith is willing to take a somewhat team-friendly deal, perhaps Quinn would like to keep his pass rushing ability on the roster. If McCoy is healthy, he makes sense as a veteran leader for what should be a relatively young group of tackles.

This year’s draft is unlike most in recent memory when it comes to the defensive line. There isn’t an edge rusher or tackle expected to go in the top 10. There is no Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Vita Vea, Myles Garrett, Joey Bosa or DeForest Buckner. There is expected to be good defensive line depth for the Cowboys to take advantage of after the first round, but right now, it seems unlikely that they will be spending the 10th overall pick on an end or tackle.

Regardless of who is on the final roster, look for the Dallas defensive line to have similar traits to what it did under Marinelli, solid fundamental football that won’t be overly complicated with scheme. They will be looking to win with great effort and everyone being on the same page, two things missing in 2020.

“Number one, create the identity where guys can play fast,” Quinn said in a Pro Football Focus podcast shortly after being hired by the Cowboys in January. “I think every really good defense, that has a part in it. It’s an aggressive front, and they play that way. That, to me, is where it starts. I’m looking forward to digging in on all those topics. But at the end of the day, how much you play of one thing or another, that’ll depend a little bit on the players.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Trysten Hill.

:lol
Yeah the circumstances of his being drafted with that whole stupid ‘hustle contract; Marinelli had him sign were terrible. A reach of a pick and a risky attitude.

But he did show some signs last year.

Frankly if Dallas can’t land serious DT help through a trade, any real improvement at DT in 2021 is going to have to come from Hill and Gallimore.

Impact FA market at the position is out of the Joneses bargain-hunter’s price range.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah the circumstances of his being drafted with that whole stupid ‘hustle contract; Marinelli had him sign were terrible. A reach of a pick and a risky attitude.

But he did show some signs last year.

Frankly if Dallas can’t land serious DT help through a trade, any real improvement at DT in 2021 is going to have to come from Hill and Gallimore.

Impact FA market at the position is out of the Joneses bargain-hunter’s price range.
It takes DTs some time to develop. It's why you should probably always be drafting some. Look at Dalvin Tomlinson. He wasn't shit his first couple years in the NFL. But if you sit around waiting for Hill to become something and he doesn't you're screwed. So we still need to keep adding guys even if it isn't at pick 10.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It takes DTs some time to develop. It's why you should probably always be drafting some. Look at Dalvin Tomlinson. He wasn't shit his first couple years in the NFL. But if you sit around waiting for Hill to become something and he doesn't you're screwed. So we still need to keep adding guys even if it isn't at pick 10.
Yeah, a trade would be best

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Hill and Gallimore will both be pretty solid next year but it's literally preposterous to go into a season with those two, Antwaun Woods, and what?

Exploding quads McCoy? A 4th round pick?

They absolutely have to sign a starting caliber DT in FA or draft one in the first 2 rounds. Doesn't have to necessarily be someone who is going to play 75% of the snaps, but it has to be someone who has the talent to theoretically do so because the biggest defensive need is a solid rotation at DT.

Dalvin Tomlinson is the dream but in lieu of that it has to at least be someone like DJ Jones, Sheldon Rankins or on really the low end, Jurrell Casey or Jaleel Johnson.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Rotation Player/Depth: Trade for Malcolm Brown or sign Shelby Harris or Larry Ogunjobi
Veteran presence/Depth: sign Tyson Alualu or Kawaan Short on a prove it deal.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
someone will throw way too much money at him, so I hope there's a plan B
There's a bunch of plan B's, like literally 5-10 guys who would all be decent upgrades, although if it were me I'd go hard after Tomlinson in what should be a depressed FA market.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There's a bunch of plan B's, like literally 5-10 guys who would all be decent upgrades, although if it were me I'd go hard after Tomlinson in what should be a depressed FA market.
I agree. Just get it even half-way right this time. Only we could sign literally the only two veteran FA DT's who couldn't play at all.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I agree. Just get it even half-way right this time. Only we could sign literally the only two veteran FA DT's who couldn't play at all.
Prepare to see McCoy again

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm fine bringing back McCoy but it can't be for anywhere near as much as we signed him for last year and they can't count on him for anything.

Bring him back for 2 million or whatever but you have to plan as if he's not there, and if he is it's found money. Still go out and get a DJ Jones and I'll be happy.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm fine bringing back McCoy but it can't be for anywhere near as much as we signed him for last year and they can't count on him for anything.

Bring him back for 2 million or whatever but you have to plan as if he's not there, and if he is it's found money. Still go out and get a DJ Jones and I'll be happy.
Same approach taken with Smith last year I suppose

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
2 things have to happen or we die in April again.

Get a freaking safety, get the Dline back to doing 1 thing right, get at the QB.

Dont do both of them, we are done in the off season, again. Its getting pretty lame ending the season before TC but we keep doing it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
2 things have to happen or we die in April again.

Get a freaking safety, get the Dline back to doing 1 thing right, get at the QB.

Dont do both of them, we are done in the off season, again. Its getting pretty lame ending the season before TC but we keep doing it.
If you are referring to the draft, Dallas has had pretty good draft choices for the past 4 or 5 years. Where I think the folded in pre season was mistakes in coaching for training camp conditioning and of course in the actual season the same game planning strategy for every game for the entire season.

last season I am not sure if we saw the full potential results from McCarthy but the upcoming season there should not be any excuses for seeing just how much if any he can improve the team.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
If you are referring to the draft, Dallas has had pretty good draft choices for the past 4 or 5 years. Where I think the folded in pre season was mistakes in coaching for training camp conditioning and of course in the actual season the same game planning strategy for every game for the entire season.

last season I am not sure if we saw the full potential results from McCarthy but the upcoming season there should not be any excuses for seeing just how much if any he can improve the team.

the drafts have been better, but we still dont get important pieces through the draft or free agency, this has got to change.

In order to get to the next stage, certain things have to happen, each year we avoid those changes, but have the same results. its gotten way past old as have the excuses.

p1_

DCC 4Life
the drafts have been better, but we still dont get important pieces through the draft or free agency, this has got to change.

In order to get to the next stage, certain things have to happen, each year we avoid those changes, but have the same results. its gotten way past old as have the excuses.
We all feel the same in that Dallas MUST change their approach to FA in order to compete

Top Bottom