Machota: Cowboys’ 6 biggest training camp battles - How potential O-line shuffle affects left guard

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
NASHVILLE, TN - DECEMBER 29: Tyler Smith #73 of the Dallas Cowboys looks toward the sideline against the Tennessee Titans at Nissan Stadium on December 29, 2022 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Cooper Neill/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota
5h ago

Five weeks from now the Cowboys will be at training camp in Oxnard, Calif. They are expected to land in Southern California around July 24. Actual practices in full pads won’t occur for at least a few more days. At that time, we will begin to break down some of the most interesting position battles.

It’s difficult to put too much stock into those areas while evaluating organized team activities and minicamp, both of which included no pads and the limited use of helmets.

Things can change in the next few weeks, but at the moment, these are the six areas I’m most interested in assessing.

1. Left guard

If the entire offensive line group is healthy entering Week 1, I believe the starters will be Tyron Smith at left tackle, Tyler Smith at left guard, Tyler Biadasz at center, Zack Martin at right guard and Terence Steele at right tackle. If Tyron Smith or Steele isn’t healthy, the healthy one of the two will likely be at right tackle and Tyler Smith will be at left tackle. If both are out, Matt Waletzko would be the favorite to start at right tackle. In those scenarios where Tyler Smith is needed at left tackle, left guard would be a position looking for a starter. Training camp should be a great time to evaluate the options at that position. The Cowboys understand the importance of filling that spot. After all, they considered drafting a guard with their first-round pick. That left guard competition will include Chuma Edoga, whom Dallas signed in free agency, Matt Farniok, Josh Ball and probably undrafted rookie free agent T.J. Bass. Fifth-round pick Asim Richards, a tackle in college, could also see some work at left guard.
Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy often mentions the correlation between a healthy offensive line and a team’s overall success. He hasn’t had that benefit much during his previous three seasons in Dallas. If its best five can stay healthy, this position group won’t be a concern. But it seems highly unlikely that the entire group will avoid any setbacks during a 17-game season. Contingency plans must be made, and training camp will be a good time to evaluate the possibilities.

2. Backup running back

Tony Pollard is the obvious starter. Competition at this spot could be added if no one emerges during training camp and the preseason. But as things stand, the group behind Pollard includes Malik Davis, Ronald Jones, Deuce Vaughn, Rico Dowdle and undrafted rookie fullback Hunter Luepke. It’s unlikely Dallas will keep more than four at the position. The favorites for those spots are Pollard, Davis, Jones and Vaughn. Jones has the most experience, playing in 61 career games with 25 starts over the past five seasons with the Chiefs and Buccaneers. Davis has the most touches with the Cowboys, carrying 38 times for 161 yards and a touchdown last season as Dallas’ No. 3 back.

Ezekiel Elliott carried the ball 231 times last season. Pollard carried 193 times. Though Pollard will get more work, plenty of rushing attempts are available. Who will get the bulk of those behind Pollard? The favorite right now is Davis, but maybe Vaughn will pick up right where he left off at Kansas State and emerge as a sixth-round steal. Training camp practices and preseason games will go a long way in sorting this out.

3. Final wide receiver spot

Will the Cowboys end up keeping five or six wide receivers on their 53-man roster? My prediction is six, with kick/punt returner KaVontae Turpin taking up one spot even though he might not be one of the team’s top four or five most productive perimeter pass catchers. CeeDee Lamb, Brandin Cooks and Michael Gallup are locked into the three starting spots. Next up entering camp will be Jalen Tolbert and Simi Fehoko. Those are the favorites if the Cowboys keep six. But like Dennis Houston (6 feet 1, 202 pounds) last year, wide receivers emerge during camp practices.

Who might that be this year? Maybe it’s Houston again or another undrafted player from last year like Dontario Drummond (6-1, 212). Maybe it’s seventh-round pick Jalen Brooks (6-2, 205). Maybe it’s an undrafted rookie like Jose Barbon (6-0, 185), Jalen Moreno-Cropper (6-0, 180) or David Durden (6-2, 200).
https://theathletic.com/4579835/2023/06/05/cowboys-jalen-tolbert-receiver/
4. Final defensive line spot

This is one of the deepest position groups on the team. The top 10 spots belong to DE/LB Micah Parsons, DE DeMarcus Lawrence, DE Sam Williams, DE Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE Dante Fowler Jr., DT Mazi Smith, DT Osa Odighizuwa, DT Johnathan Hankins, DL Viliami Fehoko Jr. and DL Chauncey Golston. Could the Cowboys keep 11? Sure. The others on the roster are DT Neville Gallimore, DT Quinton Bohanna, DE Tyrus Wheat, DE Durrell Johnson and DT Isaac Alarcon.
Going with 10 here seems like a decent bet. Can one of the other five outplay one of the top 10 entering camp? We will see. It’s also an area where perhaps the Cowboys could try to trade a player to get something in return before final roster cuts.

5. Backup linebacker

The starting linebackers are expected to be Leighton Vander Esch and Damone Clark. At least two others need to emerge as quality backups. Next up are Jabril Cox, third-round pick DeMarvion Overshown and Devin Harper. Those five seem like a good bet to make the 53-man roster. The Cowboys are excited about Overshown’s potential. They think Cox will be better in his second season removed from the significant knee injury he suffered during his rookie year. But this could be an area where the Cowboys are too thin. If needed, a potential veteran addition could make sense, like last year when Anthony Barr was signed during training camp. Barr is no longer around, and Dallas would love for some of its younger options to emerge.
https://theathletic.com/4595437/2023/06/09/cowboys-offseason-takeaways/
6. No. 1 tight end

Several tight ends will play, but who will take over that top spot that had been held by Dalton Schultz for the past three years? Jake Ferguson, a fourth-round pick last year, is the favorite. Second-round pick Luke Schoonmaker would be next up, then last year’s undrafted rookie, Peyton Hendershot. All three should see a lot of opportunities in the passing game. Schultz, Ferguson, Hendershot and Sean McKeon, who also has a good chance of making the team, were targeted 130 times last season. That’s the same number of times the Cowboys targeted their tight end group in 2021. Schultz represented 89 of those targets last season and 104 in 2021, so there are plenty of opportunities to go around.

Schoonmaker will be the most interesting to monitor early in camp after he was limited during OTAs and minicamp with a foot issue. As long as injuries don’t hold him back, the Cowboys are expecting Schoonmaker to make a quick transition from college to the pros. He never caught more than 35 passes in a season at Michigan, but Schultz never caught more than 23 passes at Stanford. Schultz went on to average 66 catches per season over the past three years after having only 13 catches during his first two seasons in Dallas.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Several tight ends will play, but who will take over that top spot that had been held by Dalton Schultz for the past three years?

I think this is an overrated question. It's not like QB for example, where you need a guy who is number 1. It's like RB. If you have 3 guys who can play, then play them all and who cares which guy is "number 1".

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Who might that be this year? Maybe it’s Houston again
Not a chance.

If that happens, then I can only assume at least three other schlubs got caught with dead hookers and a shit-ton of blow.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I wouldn't be surprised if it's Brooks. I kind of have a good feeling about him. If he's good at special teams he could make it. And they do love to keep their draft picks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The most interesting things for me are:

OL - various permutations but obviously LG is the inflection point that determines the rest
LB - can any of the traditional LB's step up to be the number 2 after LVE?
RB - who is the backup/short yardage guy?
WR - is there any truth at all to the recent Tolbert hype?

TE isn't especially interesting to me since I think we pretty much know how that's going to go. Schoonmaker isn't going to be ready to start and play the most snaps out of the rotation given that he's missed basically all of the offseason to this point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Five headlines any hack writer can puke out
Yeah, he is literally the useless list guy. But honestly we are in the slowest part of the offseason so I guess it's whatever. Training camp hasn't started, the draft has been talked about for months. So now it's sort of just a holding pattern. So I guess this is just filler bullshit. Nothing is really happening.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Is anyone really expecting Steele back before Thanksgiving? C'mon, from what I read, he tore just about everything in that knee.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Is anyone really expecting Steele back before Thanksgiving? C'mon, from what I read, he tore just about everything in that knee.
Since it's hard to come back to 100% in under a year, I have my doubts we'll see the player who was killing it in 2022 again until 2024.

What the shell of him can do in the meantime :shrug

Top Bottom