Machota: Cowboys’ 2023 NFL Draft takeaways - Overall outlook, biggest remaining needs

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
MANHATTAN, KS - SEPTEMBER 03:  Running back Deuce Vaughn #22 of the Kansas State Wildcats rushes for a touchdown against linebacker Brock Mogensen #49 of the South Dakota Coyotes during the first half at Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium on September 03, 2022 in Manhattan, Kansas. (Photo by Peter Aiken/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota
Apr 29, 2023

Mike McCarthy took exception to a reporter’s question after the end of the third round of the NFL Draft on Friday night. After it was pointed out that Dallas’ first three picks weren’t the “flashiest,” the Cowboys head coach jokingly responded by defending the team’s choices, saying he thought their selections were “sexy as hell.”

Well, if you didn’t think the first three rounds were sexy, it’s unlikely the final day did much to change your mind. One of the Cowboys’ greatest strengths over the last decade has been their drafting. They deserve the benefit of the doubt. There wasn’t necessarily a lot of excitement after Tyler Smith, Jake Ferguson and DaRon Bland were drafted last year, yet all three look to be starters.

But during a weekend when the rival Philadelphia Eagles drafted Georgia defensive stars Jalen Carter, Nolan Smith and Kelee Ringo and then traded for former Georgia running back DeAndre Swift, the 35th pick in 2020, the perception is that the defending NFC champions have become the clear favorites to win the NFC East for a second consecutive year.

“Personally, I’ve never really sweated what the other teams (did),” McCarthy said after the Eagles drafted Carter and Smith in the first round. “We all recognize players that we like. Coaches and personnel guys, we fall in love with a lot of these guys. There are good picks by other teams, but I’ve never really sweated what the other guy takes.”

The picks
  • Mazi Smith, DT, first round, No. 26
  • Luke Schoonmaker, TE, second round, No. 58
  • DeMarvion Overshown, LB, third round, No. 90
  • Viliami Fehoko, DL, fourth round, No. 129
  • Asim Richards, OL, fifth round, No. 169
  • Eric Scott Jr., CB, sixth round, No. 178
  • Deuce Vaughn, RB, sixth round, No. 212
  • Jalen Brooks, WR, seventh round, No. 244
Best pick

Deuce Vaughn. It’s the best pick because it’s a great story. The former Kansas State star is the son of Cowboys assistant director of college scouting Chris Vaughn. Chris broke down in tears when Jerry Jones informed him the team was going to draft Deuce with the 212th pick. The Cowboys war room erupted in cheers as they motioned for Chris to come over and make the official draft call. It was clear the father had no idea they were about to pick his son.

“That was super emotional,” Deuce said of getting the draft call from the Cowboys. “My emotions were all over the place. To hear not only (my father) but Jerry Jones was huge. I saw the Dallas tag when it came on my phone and I had to take a couple of seconds to really process it. I’m super excited about the future.”

Running back was certainly a draft need for the Cowboys after they released Ezekiel Elliott last month. However, the 5-foot-5 Vaughn isn’t exactly a fit to replace the former two-time rushing champion. Vaughn is more similar to Tony Pollard, so a bigger back will likely still be added to the mix.

Dane Brugler, The Athletic’s draft analyst, ranked Vaughn as the 15th-best back in the draft with a fourth-/fifth-round grade.

Pick who will make biggest immediate impact

Mazi Smith. The Cowboys addressed an important position that should instantly improve their below-average run defense. They believe Smith can eventually contribute more pass rush than he showed in college, but from Day 1 he should be a force in the middle on early downs. The combination of Smith and Osa Odighizuwa allows Dallas to have a quality defensive tackle duo to play together for a while. The Cowboys had not drafted a defensive tackle in the first round since 1991. This pick made a lot of sense.

Biggest surprise

Vaughn. Because the Cowboys needed a bigger back and already have Pollard, Vaughn didn’t seem like a realistic option. But he has the type of talent that could keep him in the league as long as there is a good plan to use his skills. Nobody seemed more surprised than Vaughn’s father when the pick was announced in Dallas’ draft room.

Biggest question mark

Viliami Fehoko. He is a defensive end whom the Cowboys believe can bulk up and play three-technique tackle. Offensive guard, running back and cornerback all seemed like bigger needs at the time. Can Fehoko add some immediate pass rush or will he be more of a project? The fourth round has been good to the Cowboys, so they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Since Will McClay began running Dallas’ draft in 2014, some of the Cowboys’ notable picks include Pollard, quarterback Dak Prescott, tight end Jake Ferguson, center Tyler Biadasz, defensive end Dorance Armstrong, tight end Dalton Schultz and linebackers Damien Wilson and Anthony Hitchens.

Remaining needs

Kicker, running back, offensive guard. The Cowboys seem confident they will be able to find a kicker in free agency. Some of the veterans still available include Robbie Gould, Randy Bullock and Mason Crosby. A bigger back to carry the ball in short-yardage situations would still make some sense. Richards has played mostly tackle during his college career. If he can’t help at left guard, that could be a position that still needs some help.

Post-draft outlook

Even if the Cowboys draft isn’t the most impressive right now on paper, they’ve done a good job filling their biggest needs this offseason, most notably trading picks for veteran wide receiver Brandin Cooks and veteran cornerback Stephon Gilmore and re-signing safety Donovan Wilson and linebacker Leighton Vander Esch. There isn’t a major weakness on the roster. Dallas should remain one of the favorites in the NFC, along with the Eagles and 49ers. If they can get some stability along the offensive line and McCarthy’s calling the plays can spark the offense in January, the Cowboys have the roster to make a deep playoff run. The defense should again be one of the best in the NFL. But they probably also need someone to kick field goals and extra points.

They said it

“I feel better than I’ve felt in a long time about what’s around the corner for the Dallas Cowboys,” Jerry Jones said at the end of the team’s post-draft news conference. “This guy sitting here (McClay), this guy sitting here (McCarthy) and that guy over there (Stephen Jones). Working with all of them, this is the best I’ve felt about things. I love this team I’m sitting up here with.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t agree that RB is a need anymore. Pollard, Jones, Vaughn, and Luepke plus someone on the PS should be fine.

I would bring in Gould or Crosby and not even blink.
Yeah I mean I'm not going to lie, I would feel better if we had gotten Roschon Johnson or Israel. I still struggle with the 5'5" 179 pound RB thing. Admittedly if he was 5'8" 200 pounds but played exactly the same I would have no problem with it. But I'm just not sure what to expect with Vaughn at the NFL level yet.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah I mean I'm not going to lie, I would feel better if we had gotten Roschon Johnson or Israel. I still struggle with the 5'5" 179 pound RB thing. Admittedly if he was 5'8" 200 pounds but played exactly the same I would have no problem with it. But I'm just not sure what to expect with Vaughn at the NFL level yet.
I’m in the same place you are. He’s going to need help from the OC and going to need to catch a break (or contribute on ST’s) even to be active on game day.

Similarly I see some damned good highlight runs Jones peeled off in recent years, but for some reason I can’t bring myself to project success for him in Dallas.

And Jones is going to get a shit ton of opportunities in Dallas this year.

Lastly I worry that between the lackluster run support and his injuries, this is going to be a tough year for Pollard.

That’s why I really wanted Torrence and couldn’t believe our good fortune when he fell to us only for us to be so fixated on TE we ignored the starting guard in easy grasp.

And that he’s a fricking mountain of a guard who could easily stand his ground against these physical NFC East DL’s makes it sting all,the worse

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I’m in the same place you are. He’s going to need help from the OC and going to need to catch a break (or contribute on ST’s) even to be active on game day.

Similarly I see some damned good highlight runs Jones peeled off in recent years, but for some reason I can’t bring myself to project success for him in Dallas.

And Jones is going to get a shit ton of opportunities in Dallas this year.

Lastly I worry that between the lackluster run support and his injuries, this is going to be a tough year for Pollard.

That’s why I really wanted Torrence and couldn’t believe our good fortune when he fell to us only for us to be so fixated on TE we ignored the starting guard in easy grasp.

And that he’s a fricking mountain of a guard who could easily stand his ground against these physical NFC East DL’s makes it sting all,the worse
Now that we finally got a big guy in the middle of our Dline you’re happy with, it’s good to know you’ve found something else to tear your tissues to tatters over. :art

p1_

DCC 4Life
Similarly I see some damned good highlight runs Jones peeled off in recent years, but for some reason I can’t bring myself to project success for him in Dallas. And Jones is going to get a shit ton of opportunities in Dallas this year.
I dont get excited at all over Jones. Maybe he can be our short yardage man.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I dont get excited at all over Jones. Maybe he can be our short yardage man.
He’s had some success and he’s only 25 so it’s not like he’s aging or anything.

He ripped off some long runs for the Bucs

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He’s had some success and he’s only 25 so it’s not like he’s aging or anything.

He ripped off some long runs for the Bucs
He was a good back. I think we would all take 2020 season out of Ronald Jones. But than 2021 he only started 3 games and had pretty limited carries and then last year he was buried on the Chiefs depth chart. So I don't really know if he is still capable of being explosive like he was in 2020.

Top Bottom