Machota: 5 thoughts -Cowboys somehow find way to get come-from-behind win over Giants

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
5 thoughts: Dallas Cowboys somehow find way to get come-from-behind win over Giants

Jon Machota

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — As Jason Garrett would say, somehow, someway the Cowboys found a way to get it done Sunday night against the division rival New York Football Giants.

Here are my five thoughts on the Cowboys’ 31-28 come-from-behind victory at MetLife Stadium.

1.) For a defense that looked highly questionable in the first half, Rod Marinelli’s guys deserve a lot of credit for what they did in the second half. At one point, the Dallas defense recorded six consecutive stops. Yes, there was the go-ahead drive late, but no one should expect this defense to hold any opponent scoreless for an entire half. And no play was bigger than Barry Church’s third-quarter interception as the Giants were in the red zone.

“It was a great feeling,” Church said. “The defensive line got good pressure on them, Eli made an errant throw and I was just able to capitalize on it.”

2.) No surprise, the NFL’s worst rushing defense allowed DeMarco Murray to have another big day. The league’s leading rusher went for 121 yards on 29 carries against a defense that was allowing 145 yards per game. But more importantly, he remains healthy. Murray and the offensive line are probably the biggest reason this team continues to be so impressive on the road.

What’s the biggest difference in Murray from past years?

“He’s not hurt,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. “He got injured a couple of times last year. He’d be the first to tell you he’s getting some good help with this line.”

3.) I have no clue how Tony Romo is going to feel tomorrow, but he sure looked good Sunday night. Romo was 18 of 26 passing for 275 yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions and a 143.4 passer rating. Romo said during an interview this week that he’s never thrown it as well as he has this season. Hard to argue with that after watching him lead the Cowboys on that game-winning drive.

“Tony deserves a lot of credit for engineering that drive,” Jones said. “His year at this juncture is the best I’ve seen him play.”

4.) Cole Beasley needs to get a game ball for his key plays Sunday night. The Cowboys’ slot receiver had only two grabs, but they went for 66 yards and a score that kick-started Dallas in the second half. Beasley, who entered with 16 catches for 143 yards on the season, is sometimes forgotten. Well, he showed the Giants what can happen if he’s given opportunities.

5.) You probably don’t care to hear anything positive about the Giants, but deal with it for a few sentences. That Odell Beckham catch is the most spectacular grab I’ve ever seen and I’m still not sure I completely believe what I saw. Brandon Carr will be on that highlight for the rest of his life even though there wasn’t much any defensive back could have done. All you can do is tip your cap.

“The man is a monster,” Dez Bryant said of Beckham. “He’s one of those guys that love to play the game. … You got to respect a guy like that. That catch, it was outstanding. I was like, ‘Wooooo, looked like some of my work.’”

Top Bottom