Machota: 1 on 1 - Jason Witten hopes to continue playing for Cowboys but says ‘all options are on the table’

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Jon Machota Jan 30, 2020

Jason Witten believes he can still contribute on an NFL roster. The 37-year-old tight end would prefer it to be in Dallas but says “all options are on the table right now.”

Witten played last season, his 16th with the Cowboys, under a one-year contract after spending the previous season in the Monday Night Football booth.

“I think when you get to this point, you certainly want to be deliberate in the approach of making the right decision,” Witten told The Athletic in a phone interview on Thursday. “I’ve been down this road once before. It was a great opportunity with Monday Night Football. And then when I was going through it, I realized how much I missed it and wanted to play. I want to be deliberate going through that process.

“Originally, I thought I was going to be pretty quick in making that decision, but obviously a lot of things have changed.”

Witten said he had a good visit with Mike McCarthy shortly after he was hired as the Cowboys head coach earlier this month. The 11-time Pro Bowler also said he has been in constant communication with team owner Jerry Jones and executive vice president Stephen Jones.

“We’ll see how it plays out, but yeah, I’m putting myself in position to go play and evaluating what that looks like,” Witten added. “I hope so (it’s with the Cowboys). But I realize I’m a free agent, too, in March. Any time a new staff comes together, I’ve played a long time, so I realize that may mean somewhere else too. That’s just part of the business. I’ll continue to communicate and see where it unfolds.”

Some have speculated that Witten could join former Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett with the rival Giants. Garrett was hired as New York’s offensive coordinator after his Cowboys contract expired on Jan. 14.

“There’s just such a mutual respect that we have for each other,” Witten said of Garrett. “When you spend that much time together, from seeing him as the offensive coordinator to head coach. Certainly, you hold each other in high regard. I think it’s a unique opportunity for him up there to call plays. It’s a talented, skilled group. With a young quarterback, it makes a lot of sense just because … to me, one of the best things he does is he’s a really good teacher. When you’re put in an offensive system where you’ve had a lot of volatility over the years, I think he’ll come in there and play to their strengths.”

The Cowboys entered 2019 with hopes of playing this Sunday. While addressing those in attendance at the team’s annual kickoff luncheon in late August, Garrett said, “On Sunday night, Feb. 2, 2020, there’s going to be a platform on the field down in Miami. We want to be on that platform. That’s our goal. If you don’t have that goal, you shouldn’t be part of this team.”

Garrett, who coached the Cowboys for the last nine and a half seasons, wasn’t given a new contract after the team finished 2019 with a disappointing 8-8 record and missed the playoffs.

Witten was Dallas’ No. 1 tight end, finishing third on the team in receptions with 63, third in targets with 83, fourth in receiving yards with 529 and third in touchdown receptions with four.

When evaluating the talent remaining on the Cowboys roster, Witten said he sees the group as “absolutely a contender” in 2020.

“That team is primed, that’s why you want to be a part of it,” Witten said. “There’s no question that we didn’t perform to the level we needed to. We under-performed this year. That’s so hard because with the way the division played out, we were still right there. In (six) of those eight games we lost, they were one-score games. … Anybody who knows football, there are certain things you look for and say that’s going to be a potential championship team. Dallas passes that test with flying colors. I think what Stephen and Jerry and Will (McClay) have done, putting that team together, now Mike adding a good staff, it’s right there. It’s easier said than done, you got to go do it. But I think it’s still primed to be able to compete at a high level.”

Witten has some familiarity with McCarthy after playing in a couple of Pro Bowls for the former Packers head coach.

“I like Mike,” Witten said. “I’ve certainly followed his time in Green Bay as a head coach. It’s a great opportunity for him. I know he’s excited after that year off. We had a good visit shortly after he got the job. It seems like he’s putting together a really nice staff. He’s had that proven track record of success. It’s a great opportunity because I feel like this roster is very talented and as good a situation as you can walk into as far as when you look around at a new coach going into that situation.”

Witten is in Miami this week, partnering with Courtyard by Marriott and their annual Super Bowl Sleepover contest, which gives an NFL fan and a group of their friends the opportunity to spend the night in a suite at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens and then attend Super Bowl LIV between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers. Dennise Ammon, the winner of this year’s contest, is an emergency room doctor from California.

On Monday, Witten wrote a lengthy Instagram post in honor of Kobe Bryant, one of nine people who died in a helicopter crash Sunday in Calabasas, California. In that post, Witten mentioned an interaction he had with Bryant in May of 2018 after Witten retired. Bryant was fascinated by the story of Witten’s signature play, the Y-option route. The two discussed it for 30 minutes. Witten went on to praise Bryant’s incredible work ethic. The post included a photo of Witten with Bryant, Magic Johnson and DeMarcus Ware at a Los Angeles Dodgers game.

“I was shocked by it, just as all of us were,” Witten said Thursday. “I didn’t know him extremely well, but one of the best things that comes with having this platform of playing for the Cowboys and having some success is that you get to learn from the titans of the industry. And a titan, Kobe was that. I’ve met him a few times over the years, but really it wasn’t until — like I mentioned in that post — after I retired, we were at the Upfronts for ESPN, and he was just enamored by the Y-option and what went into that. So that led to a conversation about how I was going to take advantage of that time of picking his brain. There was a relationship that was kind of formed from there. From everything I’ve heard, he did that to a lot of other people, too.

“It’s so sad to see that. My heart breaks for his wife and his family and everybody else who was affected by it. Your prayers go up for them. He was a titan. Not just in basketball, but the entire platform. From someone who approached the game in a similar way, I respect the standard that he set. It wasn’t just God-given ability for me. I needed a lot of other things to be successful. I think even though Kobe had that God-given ability, I think it was his mindset that separated him from everybody else. That’s the least I can do to show that support and that tribute.”

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Witten is going to struggle in retirement unless he can really take to coaching.

He can’t be on the field in more than 25-30% of offensive snaps. At that point, why even put your body through another grueling season?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Witten is going to struggle in retirement unless he can really take to coaching.

He can’t be on the field in more than 25-30% of offensive snaps. At that point, why even put your body through another grueling season?
I'd like to see him take a coaching position in college as an assistant. I think he would love it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't mind him coming back in a limited role.

He is a professional who would be great and communicating the coach's message to the rest of the team.

Yes, he was close to Garrett but this guy just wants to win. I don't think there is any chance whatsoever that this guy would join McCarthy's team and cause some sort of friction or disconnect because he was loyal to Garrett or some other such nonsense.

In fact, because he just wants to win, I think he would be great at helping to enforce the new culture to the team especially if he's bought in to what McCarthy and co. are selling.

So again, if he's willing to come back in a very reduced role, I have no issue with him returning for one more season.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't mind him coming back in a limited role.

He is a professional who would be great and communicating the coach's message to the rest of the team.

Yes, he was close to Garrett but this guy just wants to win. I don't think there is any chance whatsoever that this guy would join McCarthy's team and cause some sort of friction or disconnect because he was loyal to Garrett or some other such nonsense.

In fact, because he just wants to win, I think he would be great at helping to enforce the new culture to the team especially if he's bought in to what McCarthy and co. are selling.

So again, if he's willing to come back in a very reduced role, I have no issue with him returning for one more season.
I would be okay with it if you could promise me he would be in a limited role. But, would he be content with that or cause waves to get more PT?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I would be okay with it if you could promise me he would be in a limited role. But, would he be content with that or cause waves to get more PT?
Deja vu

Cotton

Staff member
Exactly. I'm not at all convinced he wouldn't be disruptive asking for more playing time. As much as it pains me to say, he just needs to go away.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
“That team is primed, that’s why you want to be a part of it,” Witten said. “There’s no question that we didn’t perform to the level we needed to. We under-performed this year.
How can you as a competitor praise Garrett in one breath, and then say this? Does he not realize how incongruous that is?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. I'm not at all convinced he wouldn't be disruptive asking for more playing time. As much as it pains me to say, he just needs to go away.
Yep, same story we heard last year. Limited role my ass. He was still on the field in situations he had no business being on the field for. He just holds us back when he is in the field as anything but a blocker.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If the desire is really still there, go play for the Giants. Jason will let you start over Evan Ingram. :LOL:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Instead of quoting multiple posts, I'll just reply to the popular question -- why would this year be different from last in regards to his status and playing situation?

Because his best friend isn't the coach, that's why.

If he is gone, so be it. I don't think we'd miss him. But I can see how he could be a benefit to the team in various areas.

But I won't care much one way or the other what ends up happening with him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Instead of quoting multiple posts, I'll just reply to the popular question -- why would this year be different from last in regards to his status and playing situation?

Because his best friend isn't the coach, that's why.

If he is gone, so be it. I don't think we'd miss him. But I can see how he could be a benefit to the team in various areas.

But I won't care much one way or the other what ends up happening with him.
if he did come back here, how do you address the TE position? How many do you carry, and are you spending a draft choice on someone who will fall to the bottom of the depth chart and possbily not crack the roster? His presence would require these considerations.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He absolutely needs to go away.

Right now, he is the walking talking example of an all-timer who just can't let go.

I might be in the minority, but I don't find his desire to play to be at all charming.

His circumstance is even more weird since he already retired before. You won't see many other cases like him.

Cotton

Staff member

Right now, he is the walking talking example of an all-timer who just can't let go.

I might be in the minority, but I don't find his desire to play to be at all charming.

His circumstance is even more weird since he already retired before. You won't see many other cases like him.
I’m fine with him wanting to play. Just go do it somewhere else.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
It‘s way past time to develop a long term starter at tight end, The Chiefs and 49ers have two of the best TEs in the game and this team is giving snaps to a guy that Is long past his prime.

He’s been an incredible player and a great citizen but it’s time to go.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
As I said in another thread, this is another test for McCarthy.

Witten absolutely can not be in a Dallas uniform come OTAs.

Witten is a crazy blind spot for this org. MM needs to let the man know he won’t be in Dallas unless it’s for the ROH.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't care either way. I don't think it will remotely matter. This offense will be very good regardless.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If the coach thinks he can be productive to his team let him play. It’s up to the coach to utilize Jarwin at his best and Witten at his best.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Couldn't agree more. Your time has past, Jason. Just go away.

deadrise

DCC 4Life

Few things are more pathetic than a old horse that doesn't know it's time to be put out to pasture.

Top Bottom