Machota: ‘People are not supposed to run wide open’ - Can the Cowboys’ secondary be fixed?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You don’t want Poe pressuring the passer?
100% of the time? I don't think that's necessary (he's not exactly a good pass rusher anyway).

I think it's more important to keep defenses guessing. Especially if you rush a LB instead and drop a guy like Poe into the vacated gap. That's the sort of thing that creates turnovers because a QB will read a LB rushing and might dump it to the linebacker's spot.

Poe specifically won't be in on all that many passing situations anyway.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
100% of the time? I don't think that's necessary (he's not exactly a good pass rusher anyway).

I think it's more important to keep defenses guessing. Especially if you rush a LB instead and drop a guy like Poe into the vacated gap. That's the sort of thing that creates turnovers because a QB will read a LB rushing and might dump it to the linebacker's spot.

Poe specifically won't be in on all that many passing situations anyway.
Yeah zone blitzes are meant to confuse the QB, I'm good with it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah zone blitzes are meant to confuse the QB, I'm good with it.
Thing is, you can't just pick and choose it like a grab bag.

That is what I think Nolan is doing. Trying to patch a bunch of shit together. When you do that, you have a D that doesn't know what their identity is.

Honestly, I think he was a poor choice for DC. It is not like he had a proven record anywhere to suggest he's that guy.

p1_

DCC 4Life

That is what I think Nolan is doing. Trying to patch a bunch of shit together. When you do that, you have a D that doesn't know what their identity is.

Honestly, I think he was a poor choice for DC. It is not like he had a proven record anywhere to suggest he's that guy.
What’s the book on him?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I agree to an extent. I mean the Patriots do a lot of stuff on defense and it works because of great coaching. We either need time to develop the players into being able to do that or better coaching. Right now we seem to confuse ourselves too often.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I agree to an extent. I mean the Patriots do a lot of stuff on defense and it works because of great coaching. We either need time to develop the players into being able to do that or better coaching. Right now we seem to confuse ourselves too often.
Nolan is trying to stitch a ton of shit together. When you hear a new DC is "multiple" that just tells me he is not established and is trying to reinvent themselves.

In a way that is what McCarthy is doing. He keeps saying he took a step back and has a new outlook.

In Nolan's case, he doesn't know what he wants. No wonder his D looks confused.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nolan is trying to stitch a ton of shit together. When you hear a new DC is "multiple" that just tells me he is not established and is trying to reinvent themselves.

In a way that is what McCarthy is doing. He keeps saying he took a step back and has a new outlook.

In Nolan's case, he doesn't know what he wants. No wonder his D looks confused.
We went from one extreme to the other. It's a difficult transition. Marinelli and Richard literally ran the same basic shit over and over with the thought that player would perfect what they do. It was annoying as shit because it made it really easy on QBs. Now we do a ton of stuff in the hopes of confusing QBs but we don't know how to run the plays right.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We went from one extreme to the other. It's a difficult transition. Marinelli and Richard literally ran the same basic shit over and over with the thought that player would perfect what they do. It was annoying as shit because it made it really easy on QBs. Now we do a ton of stuff in the hopes of confusing QBs but we don't know how to run the plays right.
This tells me we just need to give the coaches time to develop what they want to build.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's a process. :unsure

:tippytoe

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What it appears to me ,at least in part, is that the LBs aren’t quick enough to get back on a pass pattern from a run first alignment. They are in a shallow pass protect mode and the secondary can’t drop back soon enough because they are covering the backers drop back mode. They then get beat because they can’t get up to speed quick enough. The Dallas backers are dependent on the secondary in too many alignments.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This tells me we just need to give the coaches time to develop what they want to build.
and this offseason didn't provide that. The defense was the biggest question mark coming in, and its just gonna be transitional for a time. Some good stuff, alot of bad stuff.

Top Bottom