LOL @ The Eagles

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Hurts has proven he can play at a very high level. There’s no reason to think he can’t have further development in his game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would you say that if he went to Okie State as opposed to Oklahoma?
I mean technically every player can improve. But he will never be a precision passer, I just don't buy that. Some of it is just natural god given ability. It's also possible that Hurts regresses some. I wouldn't be shocked to see him regress this year. He took a lot of hits last year running the ball. And teams tend to catch up with these things. It's going to be really difficult for him to match what he did last season and I do believe the hits are going to start stacking up. 165 rushes for a QB is a lot of beating on those shoulders and body.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Would you say that if he went to Okie State as opposed to Oklahoma?
Yes I would. I never understood why some just arbitrarily decided he couldn’t play at the next level. It became an assumed truth by a lot of folks who never saw him play but perpetuated the story without actually ever having seen him perform. I saw the man play and while he wasn’t a classic performer of a sought after style he could make things happen. He was a winner in college even while filling in for Tua at Alabama. I simply took a stance he could play in my opinion and it was based on my actual observance not a standard blurb by those who were just parroting someone else’s presumption they read on another publication. And you know what? He has played at the very pinnacle of tests in the NFL and performed well. Except for the mistakes made by his team mates he might be have been the encumbant of the winning Quarterback of the Super Bowl.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
At the end of the day the majority of their passing game was built off their running game and the threat of the run, which was largely built around Hurts running himself. Hurts will either have to develop enough as a passer (i.e. not throwing screens or jump balls to Brown/Smith on about half of his attempts) to make up for a reduction in his rushing attempts, or he'll have to miraculously stay healthy while maintaining his rushing workload over the last few years of about 10-12 carries a game.

Do I think either of them are likely?

Not really.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I mean technically every player can improve. But he will never be a precision passer, I just don't buy that. Some of it is just natural god given ability. It's also possible that Hurts regresses some. I wouldn't be shocked to see him regress this year. He took a lot of hits last year running the ball. And teams tend to catch up with these things. It's going to be really difficult for him to match what he did last season and I do believe the hits are going to start stacking up. 165 rushes for a QB is a lot of beating on those shoulders and body.
Then why would it shock you if he improved?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then why would it shock you if he improved?
Because I think he has maxed out. But I didn't say it would shock me if he improved. Improving is different than saying a guy will make the leap to precision passer. He won't be that. It's not his game. His game is running the ball and opening big throwing windows with the threat of his legs.

But hey, maybe Lamar Jackson becomes an elite passer too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because that's what's important, not winning 74% of his games like he does? In a much tougher division, BTW.

Dak (at 62% with much better WR's) would have curled into a ball with the same meager WR options Jackson has.
I didn't say that's what's important. Was just pointing the obvious out, that Lamar Jackson isn't an elite precision passer and never will be. He has other special qualities. Specifically speaking his legs. It would be like saying that Dak can improve as a runner to be like Lamar Jackson. Nope, he never will be.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Because I think he has maxed out. But I didn't say it would shock me if he improved. Improving is different than saying a guy will make the leap to precision passer. He won't be that. It's not his game. His game is running the ball and opening big throwing windows with the threat of his legs.

Why does he have to be a precision passer?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
At the end of the day the majority of their passing game was built off their running game and the threat of the run, which was largely built around Hurts running himself. Hurts will either have to develop enough as a passer (i.e. not throwing screens or jump balls to Brown/Smith on about half of his attempts) to make up for a reduction in his rushing attempts, or he'll have to miraculously stay healthy while maintaining his rushing workload over the last few years of about 10-12 carries a game.

Do I think either of them are likely?

Not really.
staying healthy is something every player has to do. Anyone at any time can get injured so it’s not something that is exclusive to Hurt. Tha applies to every player. The fact that he runs doesn’t necessarily make him a higher risk. All players on the field are running and making contact. That issue is overused for Hurts.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
staying healthy is something every player has to do. Anyone at any time can get injured so it’s not something that is exclusive to Hurt. Tha applies to every player. The fact that he runs doesn’t necessarily make him a higher risk.
:meh

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Who says he isn’t a good passer. He isn’t a great passer but he doesn’t have to be. You can make a lot of arguments about his style but as they say at the end of the day he is still standing and his team is winning. The fact that you can make a lot of academic arguments and what if scenarios doesn’t become a factor because the what ifs are not what has happened so far. Just take his game as it has been played and judge that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Lamar Jackson doesn’t have to be an elite passer to win games.

Top Bottom