LOL @ The Eagles

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Well they couldn't get Reich so they got his minion.
Right, but I thought the idea was Reich was the one who got the best out of Wentz. And now Wentz isn't even there.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He was, and he hopes to do so again. I guess Wentz didn't want to play for the protege.
LOL, I get that from Wentz's side. I'm asking why the Eagles hired that guy if not for the attempted Wentz connection.

Did they not decide to trade him until after the new coach was hired? If so, that seems like a massive mistake.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
LOL, I get that from Wentz's side. I'm asking why the Eagles hired that guy if not for the attempted Wentz connection.

Did they not decide to trade him until after the new coach was hired? If so, that seems like a massive mistake.
Andrew Gundling, who covers the Eagles, said he wasn't necessarily hired to fix Wentz. he impressed them in the interview (don't ask me how) and that was that.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Getting technical he is under contract until the league year starts. Otherwise he would be free to sign with any team right now a la JJ Watt.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Getting technical he is under contract until the league year starts. Otherwise he would be free to sign with any team right now a la JJ Watt.
In the NFL monopoly, the third choice is he plays for nobody, and that's where he is right now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well, his contract doesn't expire until 4 pm on 3/17. So... Contractually he is a Cowboy.
Cowboys own his rights, but until he signs a contract (franchise tender or longterm deal) it means dick to the product on the field. He can't even be traded.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fun of NFL contracts. Their situation looks dire and suddenly you will look up and they are under the cap without cutting anyone significant.

They will still suck though because they lack talent.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Cowboys own his rights, but until he signs a contract (franchise tender or longterm deal) it means dick to the product on the field. He can't even be traded.
Just because you keep repeating it doesn’t make it true. He is a contractual employee of the Cowboys until his contract expires. They aren’t playing games so the product on the field means dick right now and under the terms of his contract I’m pretty sure he could be traded right now it would just be stupid of a team to do so.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just because you keep repeating it doesn’t make it true. He is a contractual employee of the Cowboys until his contract expires. They aren’t playing games so the product on the field means dick right now and under the terms of his contract I’m pretty sure he could be traded right now it would just be stupid of a team to do so.
He can't be traded until he signs. That be the truth.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
He can't be traded until he signs. That be the truth.
Finally found where it says they can’t be traded from November trade deadline until the new league year starts. Doesn’t change the fact he is a Cowboy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Finally found where it says they can’t be traded from November trade deadline until the new league year starts.
That’s a general rule applying to all players with contracts. Even if they tag him, Dallas can’t trade Dak new league year or not (March 17th) unless he signs a contract.

If they don’t tag him before the 17th, he becomes a UFA. To tag him, they need to free 37 million in cap space, even if he doesn’t sign his contract.

Ideally they just sign him so we can get past this useless trade talk and not force more 2021 restructuring than we need.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Even if they tag him, Dallas can’t trade Dak new league year or not (March 17th) unless he signs a contract.
I don't know if you are mistaken or just stated it wrong, but a team can trade a franchised player. He doesn't have to sign a contract, he just has to sign the tender. He could block a trade by not signing the tender, but a long term contract isn't necessary.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't know if you are mistaken or just stated it wrong, but a team can trade a franchised player. He doesn't have to sign a contract, he just has to sign the tender. He could block a trade by not signing the tender, but a long term contract isn't necessary.
This is correct.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The tender is the contract, and for Dak in 2021 it pays him 37 million. Last year he was tagged months before he signed. Dallas could not have traded him on draft day 2020, for example, because Dak had not yet signed.

Top Bottom