Lets talk "Direction"

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Okay, the point of this thread is simple. Where do you think the draft will take us? By that, do you think the draft will go offense or defense? Tell me what you think and some players you feel we ll draft to back up your claim. Example, Someone might say "defense" and heres some players we can legitly draft and will boost our defense to help us next season.

The reason i am breaking it down this way is I feel MM was hired as fast as possible to give him more time. I didnt agree with MM at first, but i support him and i feel hes made good decisions. That was a good move by JJ. Get the guy he wanted in quickly. I actualy liked that. I think FA went as good as could be. Im not going to nit pick every move. Overall, good FA. More importantly MM used Fa to set up our draft. Thats where the board comes in. Some feel KM can tweak enough of the offense and if we go defense, we can even out the talent on the team. Most bad moves are "put band aids on it" So far that isnt the case. Now i dont know for sure if MM wants to make a run for the playoffs, or is saying "I want to set a good foundation" hell he could be doing both. but for me, id rather he build a good foundation. Is that supported by our moves in FA? i dont know, someone else can make a better argument.

For this thread, lets keep it to the direction we think the draft will move us. I personally say "defense" bring in a safety or a DT and lets flesh it out. tell me your thoughts and who you think will be drafted to back your claim. This is a way to show off your knowledge of the draft and where you see MM going.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
McCarthy is obviously an offensive minded coach, and that would normally not bode well when you're looking to upgrade defense, but I think MM is a well-rounded coach enough that he knows that the defense is extremely important to the offense and will push heavy for defense in the draft.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
McCarthy is obviously an offensive minded coach, and that would normally not bode well when you're looking to upgrade defense, but I think MM is a well-rounded coach enough that he knows that the defense is extremely important to the offense and will push heavy for defense in the draft.

While he is and theres no denying that, im hoping his staff has sway and at least convince him to look at the numbers from the scouts, see what coud fall to us and have a good game plan. if he drops, it sets up this draft, if we can get him, lets go for this route. that might also be the plan. who falls to us.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Okay, the point of this thread is simple. Where do you think the draft will take us? By that, do you think the draft will go offense or defense? Tell me what you think and some players you feel we ll draft to back up your claim. Example, Someone might say "defense" and heres some players we can legitly draft and will boost our defense to help us next season.

The reason i am breaking it down this way is I feel MM was hired as fast as possible to give him more time. I didnt agree with MM at first, but i support him and i feel hes made good decisions. That was a good move by JJ. Get the guy he wanted in quickly. I actualy liked that. I think FA went as good as could be. Im not going to nit pick every move. Overall, good FA. More importantly MM used Fa to set up our draft. Thats where the board comes in. Some feel KM can tweak enough of the offense and if we go defense, we can even out the talent on the team. Most bad moves are "put band aids on it" So far that isnt the case. Now i dont know for sure if MM wants to make a run for the playoffs, or is saying "I want to set a good foundation" hell he could be doing both. but for me, id rather he build a good foundation. Is that supported by our moves in FA? i dont know, someone else can make a better argument.

For this thread, lets keep it to the direction we think the draft will move us. I personally say "defense" bring in a safety or a DT and lets flesh it out. tell me your thoughts and who you think will be drafted to back your claim. This is a way to show off your knowledge of the draft and where you see MM going.
My belief is that the team will be leaning towards defense in the draft, if they can. I think that if their draft grades are close for an offensive or defensive player that they will choose the defensive player. I just see far more holes and areas of improvement on that side of the ball. And quotes from both McCarthy and Stephen Jones indicated a priority on defense this offseason.

As for names? I think they would love to have one of the defensive linemen fall to them - Brown or Kinlaw - as well as K'Lavon Chaisson to help improve the pass rush as well as add some scheme flex to Mike Nolan's defense. If all three are gone, I would expect cornerback to be next on their wish list to replace losing their #1 cornerback in Byron Jones. Henderson seems to be widely thought of as the #2 option there, well behind Okudah, but ahead of the rest of the pack.

If none of those 4 are still there, I would expect a trade down so someone else could draft an offensive player that may have slipped. I think there's a sweet spot in the second round of this draft and if you had a few picks in the 2-4 round range you could do some good work.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Most of the offense is pretty much set in stone long-term. Pro Bowl types like Elliott, Amari, Tyron, Zack, and Collins are all on long-term deals, Dak will be soon, Gallup and Williams have 2 years left on their deals, and I would expect the team to start looking to extend Gallup sometime in the next 12 months. On top of that McGovern has 3 years left, Jarwin is signed long-term, and even a priority backup like Pollard has 3 years left on his deal.

Defensively the only large, long-term type deals we have are Lawrence and Jaylon. Poe and McCoy are obviously short-term stopgaps, Smith and Gregory are measured risks who could be gone in 6 months, and basically the entire secondary are UFA's next offseason.

All of that is a long-winded way of saying we're going defense early and often unless there is just too much value to pass up with a prospect having an unforeseen drop at WR, TE or interior OL.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I think we will see defense early. CB S LB DE
In the 4th and later I expect to see some offense picks. 3rd WR, Swing OT, C, Backup TE and maybe a kicker if we really like Rodrigo or Eberle

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think we will mostly go defense, but I will be shocked if we haven't drafted a WR by the end of round 3.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
One Direction?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Teams tend to be reactionary to what happened the previous year when approaching the draft. So that's why I think the focus will be defense for the first 4 rounds. I don't think all 4 of our picks will be defense but I think at least 2 or 3 will be.

I think the defensive focus will be on the DL and CB. Pretty much all of our significant FA signings are 1 or 2 year deals. So even though we have guys like Poe and McCoy on board, I still think there's a strong possibility that a DL will be taken early.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Wow, you guys brought your knowledge and good opinions. Pretty happy with the responses.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Front seven, CB, WR in the first three rounds— no particular order.

First round: I’d love for a *avon to fall to us, but if they or one of the top WRs don’t, we should think BPA or trade down. Fuck it, can’t afford to pass on talent.

2nd and 3rd: Whatever’s left. If Madubuike is there we snap him up, but frankly he’ll be gone so it’s BPA short of a K, P, or QB

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Front seven, CB, WR in the first three rounds— no particular order.

First round: I’d love for a *avon to fall to us, but if they or one of the top WRs don’t, we should think BPA or trade down. Fuck it, can’t afford to pass on talent.

2nd and 3rd: Whatever’s left. If Madubuike is there we snap him up, but frankly he’ll be gone so it’s BPA short of a K, P, or QB

here is my question to this, we have AC and Gallup, do you think a third even a third stellar WR could make a difference, or if they do, do you trade Gallup? I just dont know if a talented WR is helpful at this junction.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
here is my question to this, we have AC and Gallup, do you think a third even a third stellar WR could make a difference, or if they do, do you trade Gallup? I just dont know if a talented WR is helpful at this junction.
I think a third WR is helpful because I think we will run a ton of 3 WR formations. Which means a third WR is a starter. And if you have 3 guys capable of beating single coverage you have a big advantage against defenses who usually don't have 3 great corners.

I'd venture to say a third WR is more important than a third LBer even. Unless of course LVE is done in which case you're really talking about a second LBer.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We need the WR for sure.

We could also use a LB, TE, DT, DE, S, C, OT, or CB.

Oh yeah, and a backup QB.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I think a third WR is helpful because I think we will run a ton of 3 WR formations. Which means a third WR is a starter. And if you have 3 guys capable of beating single coverage you have a big advantage against defenses who usually don't have 3 great corners.

I'd venture to say a third WR is more important than a third LBer even. Unless of course LVE is done in which case you're really talking about a second LBer.

ok than, good stuff, i have to update my thinking on that. thank you

Top Bottom