Kellen Moore is a “mediator” for Dak Prescott and Scott Linehan

p1_

DCC 4Life
Kellen Moore is a “mediator” for Dak Prescott and Scott Linehan when Dak heads to the sideline

Maybe we’ve determined Kellen’s new role.

By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa Sep 13, 2018, 11:00pm CDT

One of the new additions to the Dallas Cowboys offensive coaching staff is a recent pupil of the offensive coordinator - that new guy is Kellen Moore. Scott Linehan’s affinity for his pupil is well-chronicled and many have noted how Moore’s skills in the classroom can be valuable.

Moore had been a bit of a player-coach before for the Cowboys while serving as the backup and then practice squad quarterback, so his switch from shoulder pads to QBs coach polo wasn’t terribly shocking. Last week in Carolina was his rookie debut with a headset on in a meaningful game and Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott was unimpressive.

Dak spoke to the local media on Thursday and he offered some interesting comments in regards to Linehan and Moore’s roles when he trots back to the sideline. He begins at the 7:15 mark if you want to listen for yourself.

“Kellen, I guess you call him the mediator at that point, when I come to the sideline. Me and him talk about what we saw and then he gets on the headset and he’s talking with Linehan. Then he’ll get back to me with what Linehan’s thinking with the plays and stuff that we’re working towards, so it’s been great.”

This is definitely interesting and not necessarily something you hear every day regarding an NFL team. Scott Linehan recently made the switch from being on the sideline himself to coaching from the booth, but he can surely communicate with Dak on his own. Why does there need to be a mediator when Dak is on the sideline?

If you’re wondering what the deal is with all of this yourself, Dak did offer a bit more of an explanation when asked a follow-up question. He’s able to communicate with Scott Linehan if he absolutely needs to, but it seems like it is generally Moore who is the middle piece in the game of telephone.

“I mean, if I’m set, if I yea I’ll say something through Kellen I guess to them, or if I need to yea they’ll let me talk to him, but it hasn’t been that case.”

This is definitely something new for the Cowboys as Kellen Moore has never been a coach before this season. Why does it need to be the case? Obviously the coaching staff thinks it’s what works best. It does seem different, though.

Dak only mentioned the sideline specifically as far as how this communication is structured, so it’s unclear if there is any middleman during the on-field play-calling, or just how that structure is arranged.

Hopefully whatever Linehan is sending through Kellen Moore to Dak Prescott on the sideline works a lot better this Sunday. We’re all depending on that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Doesnt linehan have a direct connect to Dak via wireless to his helmet?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:picard

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Seems really stupid.

Why slow down the communication on the field when time is so important?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Its on the job trainig for our new OC.

Newt

DCC 4Life
That might be some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard of.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Its how all cutting edge staffs operate. :lol :picard

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Notice how no one among those three -- Garrett, Linehan or Moore -- has ever achieved any level of success in the NFL. Garrett was a lifelong backup/clipboard carrier. Linehan's only head coaching gig in St. Louis was a fiasco. The players there -- Holt, Bulger, Jackson -- openly feuded with him on the sideline during games. Moore is a nonentity, a nothing. He never achieved any level of success in the NFL -- a marginal player, a career practice squad guy who suddenly becomes a QB coach because he has some kind of affinity with Linehan, a proven failure.

You don't have to be a great player to be a good coach. But you need to be a good coach, paying your dues and achieving success on your way up. None of these guys have done that. Garrett got hired as OC and head-coach-in-waiting after a year in Miami. He and Linehan were together in Miami.

Small wonder that the offense sucks and Dak's growth is being stunted. It's the blind leading the blind.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Notice how no one among those three -- Garrett, Linehan or Moore -- has ever achieved any level of success in the NFL. Garrett was a lifelong backup/clipboard carrier. Linehan's only head coaching gig in St. Louis was a fiasco. The players there -- Holt, Bulger, Jackson -- openly feuded with him on the sideline during games. Moore is a nonentity, a nothing. He never achieved any level of success in the NFL -- a marginal player, a career practice squad guy who suddenly becomes a QB coach because he has some kind of affinity with Linehan, a proven failure.

You don't have to be a great player to be a good coach. But you need to be a good coach, paying your dues and achieving success on your way up. None of these guys have done that. Garrett got hired as OC and head-coach-in-waiting after a year in Miami. He and Linehan were together in Miami.

Small wonder that the offense sucks and Dak's growth is being stunted. It's the blind leading the blind.
So true. Not one of these men has achieved Jack Shit in the NFL. Zero, nada, and zilch.

This is the brain(dead) trust.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its how all cutting edge staffs operate. :lol :picard
Considering our owner is still stuck on trying to recreate the early 90's team, I'm guessing nothing is cutting edge about our philosophy. It's about 30 years old.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
So if Moore in the "mediator" between Dak and Linehan......I'm thinking the two don't get along.

I dunno.

Clusterfuck as usual.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if Moore in the "mediator" between Dak and Linehan......I'm thinking the two don't get along.

I dunno.

Clusterfuck as usual.
If he is in the booth is Dak able to talk to Linehan directly? I assume the communications in his headset are one directional. But I don't really know.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
There's no aspect of football this team doesn't find some way to fuck up.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This just might be the stupidest thing I have ever seen out of this organization, and that is really saying something. All points back to the fact that Garrett knows jack shit about running a football team. It is either that or he is spineless when it come to confrontation.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Doesnt linehan have a direct connect to Dak via wireless to his helmet?
Re: NFL Communication System

HOW IT WORKS
Each offensive and defensive team is allowed one player on the field with a radio receiver in his helmet, allowing him to communicate with a coach on the sidelines, not in the coach’s booth. Each team is permitted to have three active radio receivers in helmets worn by quarterbacks—a QB who plays another position as well, say as a “wildcat,” must have two separate helmets—and a maximum of two for defensive players: one for a primary defender, the other for a designated backup player. The helmets are identified by a decal on the back.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Kinda misleading. Not only do you "not have to be a great player" to be a great coach, but in fact most good coaches are not guys who had long successful starting careers.

Similarly, you cite how Garrett should have worked his way up the tree with success as a coach, but then discount how Linehan did that exact thing. Most coordinators are not successful head coaches -- otherwise they'd still be head coaches.

You can cite all the miscues these guys have, including Garrett being over-promoted, perhaps, but I don't think his "lack of success" as a player or Linehan's "lack of success" as a coach are any worse than average. I mean, Sean McVay never even made it to the NFL as a player, despite trying. Garrett was a backup in the league for a long time, that's way more success.

Not propping up Garrett here; just saying your premise for why they suck seems flawed.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I took it to mean Garrett never had any success as a coach.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

I've said it many times. Even guys like Holmgren and Parcells served as assistants in college for upwards of a decade before getting a pro job.

Top Bottom