Jonathan Taylor

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Football players are never faster than track guys, ah...many times the athlete is both.
Yep, track requires its own specialized training. Only the rarest football-first guy is going to match track athletes. Bullet Bob being that one guy, really, and track was his first love.

But it's fun seeing those who can compete at both.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wasn't the Superstars just retired athletes, Dickerson was still active in 87, so....hmmmm?
I remember mostly active NFL stars.

Herschel complained it was too soon after the season and bodies were still recovering, but he (and his wife) were stars.

Alonzo

Whoa An Active DCCer
Yep, track requires its own specialized training. Only the rarest football-first guy is going to match track athletes. Bullet Bob being that one guy, really, and track was his first love.

But it's fun seeing those who can compete at both.
Actually, football was Hayes first love, he wasn't running track in college until the track coach kept bugging him.

No football first guy can hang with a legit track guy in anything over a 40. The reason is speed endurance that takes specific training, something footballers don't do but track guys do.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Football players are never faster than track guys, ah...many times the athlete is both.
Right, there were some really fast guys on the pro side in that meet, and it's not like it was an Olympic meet. As you know a lot of the best sprinters don't even bother with indoor 60s. As I recall TCU had a good track team back then and a couple of their guys were running... I'm pretty sure one of the guys even played football for TCU. I could probably figure out who it was if I tried... This was probably 1982 to 84, somewhere in there, and I'm pretty sure Wacker was TCU's coach.

Edit, if you are curious, it was Roscoe Tatum. Not world class like you're talking about in this thread but an excellent college sprinter.

Roscoe Tatum; Track & Field, Football

Tatum claimed two NCAA Championships as part of the men's 4x100 relay during his time in Fort Worth. He was a five-time All-America honoree and finished third overall in the men's 55 and 100 meters at NCAA Championship. Tatum was part of the quartet who won the Penn Relays in both the 4x100 and 4x200. A multiple-time all-conference honoree, Tatum was a three-year letter winner who also played running back for the TCU football program.

Last edited:

Alonzo

Whoa An Active DCCer
Right, there were some really fast guys on the pro side in that meet, and it's not like it was an Olympic meet. As you know a lot of the best sprinters don't even bother with indoor 60s. As I recall TCU had a good track team back then and a couple of their guys were running... I'm pretty sure one of the guys even played football for TCU. I could probably figure out who it was if I tried... This was probably 1982 to 84, somewhere in there, and I'm pretty sure Wacker was TCU's coach.
TCU is the only school out there can can fill 8 lanes with sub10.00 sprinters among the alumni.

lane

1.Charles Silmon
2.Michael Frater Jamaica
3.Kim Collins St. Kitts
4.Jon Drummond
5.Darvis Patton
6.Percival Spencer Jamaica
7.Ray Stewart Jamaica
8.Ronnie Baker

Phil Epps the footballer a 10.2ish can't make the final.

Nobody can run a 100m all out so ya train for the different phases, the start, accelleration, sustaining topend and decellerating. Those capable of maintaining their topend longer meaning less decellerating have the advantage. this is.....speed endurance....and that takes training.

Usain Bolt took so long to hit his topend he spent less time decellerating.

As far as Roscoe Tatum goes...

1988 (Eugene, June 04; wind +0.4) (22 contestants, 8 finalists; Q—10.29)
1. Joe DeLoach (Houston) .................................... Jr................10.03 (=MR; l‑a MR)
2. Raymond Stewart' (TCU) .................................. Jr................10.10
3. Dennis Mitchell (Florida).................................... Jr................10.12
4. Mike Marsh (UCLA)........................................... Jr................10.23
5. Leroy Burrell (Houston) ..................................... So ..............10.31
6. Slip Watkins (LSU) ............................................ So ..............10.40
7. Roscoe Tatum (TCU)......................................... Sr ...............10.42
8. Derrick Florence (Texas A&M) ........................... Jr................10.46

Last edited:

Foobio

DCC 4Life
And so the obvious question is…did Herschel Walker achIeve his super human status with the use of peds or without. Of course he did and he’s also a beast without them and it doesn’t matter.

Last edited:

Alonzo

Whoa An Active DCCer
And so the obvious questions is…did Herschel Walker achIeve his super human status with the use of peds or without. Of course he did and he’s also a beast without them and it doesn’t matter.
In the 20's there was Big Ben Stevenson a 225ish pound RB with 9.8 jets (world record 9.4) at Tuskegge Institute, he was a monster playing both ways.

In the 50's we had the the 240 monstrosity Marion Motley who looked like a truck as he ran over wanna be tacklers.

Pretty obvious Stevenson or Motley or Jim Brown weren't on PEDS way back then and they totally dominated, well that was Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Marcus Dupree just big fast athletes who didn't need any thing but a field to play on.

Marion Motley

Last edited:

Alonzo

Whoa An Active DCCer
Story goes....

While in high school Marcus Dupree was running back so many kickoffs to score the offense went to the coach seeing if he would take Dupree off that job so they could play, ha!

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
As far as Roscoe Tatum goes...

1988 (Eugene, June 04; wind +0.4) (22 contestants, 8 finalists; Q—10.29)
1. Joe DeLoach (Houston) .................................... Jr................10.03 (=MR; l‑a MR)
2. Raymond Stewart' (TCU) .................................. Jr................10.10
3. Dennis Mitchell (Florida).................................... Jr................10.12
4. Mike Marsh (UCLA)........................................... Jr................10.23
5. Leroy Burrell (Houston) ..................................... So ..............10.31
6. Slip Watkins (LSU) ............................................ So ..............10.40
7. Roscoe Tatum (TCU)......................................... Sr ...............10.42
8. Derrick Florence (Texas A&M) ........................... Jr................10.46
This says 10.18, at the U of A, only 0.8 wind aid.

This TCU media guide shows 10.08 and 10.09, no context given, maybe wind aided.

I did the 100m and 4x1 for a little while in HS track so I used to be really interested in all this stuff myself.

Back to Dupree, it's too bad he didn't do any college track. In the highlights he looked like Bo or Herschel but smoother and more fluid, almost like a 200m guy. But of course he was 230 lbs or whatever. Pretty sure he even returned punts at that size. Crazy.

Alonzo

Whoa An Active DCCer
I wasn't talking about Tatum's PR, was showing his best accomplishment at TCU.

I'm with you on Dupree running NCAA track, I have no problem seeing him a 10.2ish like Walker.

He was deadly as a HS kickoff return guy, not sure about punts that is more about make the first guy miss.

Top Bottom