John McCain Dead at Age 81

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
He takes the loss of Democrats really badly.

I'm sure the over 100 men that died and were injured on the Forrestal and their families don;t think too highly of him either..

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It’ll be okay, you seem to be taking this very hard.
If the Trump angle wasn't there, that hypocrite cunt wouldn't give one single fuck about the death of John McCain. He's just using it like so many others are.

Ask him how he felt about McCain during the 2008 Presidential election.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Oh yes, they loved and admired McCain so much that they .. voted for Obama. To them, McCain was the best kind of Republican: a loser.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
If the Trump angle wasn't there, that hypocrite cunt wouldn't give one single fuck about the death of John McCain. He's just using it like so many others are.

Ask him how he felt about McCain during the 2008 Presidential election.
I can imagine. My remark was meant to be snide.

Look at CNN, MSNBC, etc. Where were they in 2008 with all this crap? He was a war monger who would send your kids to certain death in countless, needless wars in the name of oil and riches. And he didn’t know how many houses he owned, he had so many. Greedy fuck. Not much talk about the Hero in him.

That is what the media thought and thinks of him. They don’t give a shit about him. They cry these crocodile tears because McCain hated Trump.

And I’m sorry, I respect the man and his service, and I recognize the hero he is and was, but to pretend that Trump is some piece of crap because he didn’t keep the flag at half staff for a man that hated him openly and stuck it to him at every chance, c’mon. Let’s cut the shit.

Trump said some stupid stuff about McCain who went after Trump and his voters. Called them “crazies” if I remember right. Trump says something stupid about liking people who don’t get captured. Dumb. Needless. Moronic even.

McCain is not clean here, he took the grudge to his grave. Making it known that he didn’t want Trump at his funeral? Childish as anything Trump said to him or about him. McCain urged Americans to come together in his last words while displaying the type of division that fuels the mess we’re in.

PS, Trump is kind of a piece of crap for not keeping the flag at half-staff. Most of us will admit that, he’s not exactly the most mature person, turn out, neither was McCain.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Look at CNN, MSNBC, etc. Where were they in 2008 with all this crap? He was a war monger who would send your kids to certain death in countless, needless wars in the name of oil and riches. And he didn’t know how many houses he owned, he had so many. Greedy fuck. Not much talk about the Hero in him.

That is what the media thought and thinks of him. They don’t give a shit about him. They cry these crocodile tears because McCain hated Trump.

And I’m sorry, I respect the man and his service, and I recognize the hero he is and was, but to pretend that Trump is some piece of crap because he didn’t keep the flag at half staff for a man that hated him openly and stuck it to him at every chance, c’mon. Let’s cut the shit.

Trump said some stupid stuff about McCain who went after Trump and his voters. Called them “crazies” if I remember right. Trump says something stupid about liking people who don’t get captured. Dumb. Needless. Moronic even.

McCain is not clean here, he took the grudge to his grave. Making it known that he didn’t want Trump at his funeral? Childish as anything Trump said to him or about him. McCain urged Americans to come together in his last words while displaying the type of division that fuels the mess we’re in.

PS, Trump is kind of a piece of crap for not keeping the flag at half-staff. Most of us will admit that, he’s not exactly the most mature person, turn out, neither was McCain.
You make a lot of sense for an Iranian.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't know one way or the other, but I have read or seen plenty of vets who consider him a traitor and an opportunist. Turned his time in Nam to a Senate seat and he like far too many got rich while there. He also has his hand in the Mueller investigation by propagating the dossier nonsense and did his best to thwart an election. I pray for his family and his salvation, but don't give one whit about the rest. He was a political turn coat and made a political point because he disliked the president rather than make a choice for the good of the country. I say this because I completely disagree with your view on healthcare Bipo, sorry.
I have a few really smart veteran friends that feel he is not a hero. I don't know why that is because I don't get drawn into conversations on social media. One my friends is someone that I really respect, long military career and libertarian views thinks he is no hero.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I agree and feel the same way about you. I hate your guts but I respect what you've done in this thread.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
McCain banned Palin from his funeral, but Trump is the petty one.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have nothing bad to say about McCain regarding his military service and most of his political career but since the time of his run for the Presidency he has become somewhat of an outlaw to his own political persuasions. Notwithstanding his row with Trump and rightly so he has become embittered at the entire Republican party because of Trumps pettiness and not censuring him for his insults to McCain.. He has done and said things that were it not for his illness would have gotten him on the outs with his own party. Its ironic I suppose that the democrats are now using him politically when just a few years ago he was the devil himself to them. They made up the majority of his homage service with their speeches and aggrandizing. A lot of which McCain orchestrated through his own wishes. He apparently felt his legacy was better served by being surrounded in his farewell by his political enemies. Strange indeed what bitterness will yield.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I have nothing bad to say about McCain regarding his military service and most of his political career but since the time of his run for the Presidency he has become somewhat of an outlaw to his own political persuasions. Notwithstanding his row with Trump and rightly so he has become embittered at the entire Republican party because of Trumps pettiness and not censuring him for his insults to McCain.. He has done and said things that were it not for his illness would have gotten him on the outs with his own party. Its ironic I suppose that the democrats are now using him politically when just a few years ago he was the devil himself to them. They made up the majority of his homage service with their speeches and aggrandizing. A lot of which McCain orchestrated through his own wishes. He apparently felt his legacy was better served by being surrounded in his farewell by his political enemies. Strange indeed what bitterness will yield.
Oh yeah, it is so fucking awful to be your own man instead of beholden to a political party and check all its fucking boxes.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Oh yeah, it is so fucking awful to be your own man instead of beholden to a political party and check all its fucking boxes.
Tell us your thoughts of John McCain from ten years ago while he was running against Obama for President. :lol

We all know you are doing exactly what you are crying about here, you fucking worthless hypocrite. The left is sucking McCain's crank right now ONLY because they think it puts Trump in a bad light. At least be man enough to admit it.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Joe Biden's McCain eulogy just explained exactly what's wrong with American politics

Joe Biden's McCain eulogy just explained exactly what's wrong with American politics

Here's a paragraph from Joe Biden's eulogy of the late John McCain that you need to read:

"You know, I'm sure if my former colleagues who work with John, I'm sure there's people who said to you, not only now, but the last 10 years, 'Explain this guy to me,' right? 'Explain this guy to me.' Because, as they looked at him, in one sense they admired him. In one sense, the way things changed so much in America, they look at him as if John came from another age, lived by a different code, an ancient, antiquated code where honor, courage, integrity, duty, were alive. That was obvious, how John lived his life. The truth is, John's code was ageless, is ageless. When you talked earlier, Grant, you talked about values. It wasn't about politics with John. He could disagree on substance, but the underlying values that animated everything John did, everything he was, come to a different conclusion. He'd part company with you if you lacked the basic values of decency, respect, knowing this project is bigger than yourself."

Yes, that is, ostensibly, about McCain. But it is also an indictment of our current politics -- and a road map on how we can fix what's broken.

The prevailing "value" of modern politics is partisanship: You are good if you are on my team. You are not just bad, but morally bankrupt, if you are on the other side. You are real if you are on my team and fake if you aren't. Anything the captain of my team says can be justified (and agreed with) because, well, they're the captain of my team. Anything the other team's captain says is wrong, by default, because they're the captain of the other team. There's no reason to listen to people on the other team. Or make friends with them. Or even be seen with them. They aren't on my team. Why would I do that?

President Donald Trump is the walking, talking epitome of the sanctification of partisanship over all our other, real, values. (Yes, the irony is not lost on me -- and should not be lost on you -- that the modern patron saint of partisanship is someone who has been, literally, a Democrat, an independent and a Republican all within the last decade or so.) This is a man who has declared, repeatedly, that the mainstream media is the "enemy of the people." A man who said his Democratic opponent in the 2016 election should be jailed. A man who has called elected officials of his own party who disagreed with him "incompetent," "weak and ineffective" and "so bad," among many other things. A man who, while McCain was home in Arizona fighting the brain cancer that eventually killed him, would use the story of McCain voting against health care repeal legislation to symbolize the Arizona senator's alleged backstabbing. ("One senator decided to put the thumb down," Trump would say in his standard stump speech. "That was not a good thing.")

To be clear: Trump doesn't take this if-you-aren't-with-me-you're-against-me view out of any sort of principles. After all, he made his living in the private sector as a deal-maker, someone who always saw compromise as possible -- even in the darkest of situations. And as I noted above, Trump has been all over the map in terms of his personal politics. This is not a man wedded to a certain, unwavering view of what's right in the world.

Trump has elevated pure, unstinting partisanship into a virtue because it works for him politically. The Republican base was mad as hell at its elected leaders who they believed were all too willing to compromise on core principles. And not just compromise, but compromise badly; conservatives have long believed that Democrats always got the best of Republicans when it came to the sort of last-minute deal-making that Congress made a habit of producing. Compromise as capitulation was a notion within conservative circles before Trump, but he seized the idea and turned it into gospel truth. Even being seen with a member of the opposite party has become enough to draw a Republican incumbent a primary challenge from someone in their home state, insisting that the elected official has "gone Washington" or "come down with Potomac fever" or some other claptrap like that.

Now go back up and read Biden's words. And these words in particular (bolding is mine):
"It wasn't about politics with John. He could disagree on substance, but the underlying values that animated everything John did, everything he was, come to a different conclusion. He'd part company with you if you lacked the basic values of decency, respect, knowing this project is bigger than yourself."

When you read that last sentence, you understand why McCain was so openly critical of Trump, and why Trump disliked McCain in turn. McCain believed in the idea of public service as a noble -- flawed, but nonetheless noble -- profession. That the reason you got into politics was to find ways to do good, not for yourself but for the broader populace. That the most important lesson to always, always, always remember is that we all have a lot more in common than we have differences on. That focusing on that common humanity was at the essence of how politics should work. It wasn't about what team you were on. It was about what good you wanted to do -- and for whom.

That shared humanity -- the sense that we are all, in the end, in this together -- hasn't disappeared.

It can't disappear because it's who we, at root, are. What's wrong is that we just aren't looking hard enough for it. We are too willing to allow ourselves to be manipulated by people who, for whatever reasons -- political and monetary gain, mostly -- have a vested interest in focusing on what divides us rather than what unites us.

I'm under no illusion that either McCain's death (and life) or Biden's paean to re-find what McCain represented will have any immediate effect on the body politic. It's easier to retreat into partisan camps and surround yourself with people, TV talkers and the like who tell you that you're right (about everything) and those who disagree with you are your enemies, villains to be vanquished.

In the end, though, I'm with Biden and McCain. Who we are might get obscured. We might forget. But those are temporary matters. In the end, our eyes will open and our minds will remember.

shane

DCC 4Life
I'll chime in with what would have BiPo's take on this matter before sold out and became a partisan hack -

Fuck every war criminal who pushed on the Iraq War on the public with lies, regardless of how much the mainstream media sucks their cock.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It was Meghan McCain who had the most searing swipes at the president however. Notably she said that her father's passing represented the passing of "American greatness. The real thing, not cheap rhetoric from men who will never come near the sacrifice he gave so willingly, nor the opportunistic appropriation of those who lived lives of comfort and privilege while he suffered and served."

Damn, she just lit the prez on FIRE!

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
She had an opportunity to take the high road. Now she's as petty and vindictive as Trump. Oh well.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
It's sad/funny how a funeral to memorialize the person who is now the hero of the Democrat party, a supposed Republican, turns into a Trump Bashing session. Because they really had little good to say about McCain in my estimation. Trump really is so deep in their heads, even family members can't let it go long enough to say goodbye. Just wow.

Top Bottom