JJT: Terrance Williams has disappeared from Cowboys' offense

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas - Terrance Williams has disappeared from the Cowboys’ offense. No one has any idea when he’ll return.

Williams had five touchdowns and six catches of 20 yards or more in the Cowboys’ first six games. In the last six games, he has one catch of 20 yards or more and no touchdowns.

Frankly, the ball isn’t even coming his way these days.

Against Jacksonville, he didn’t catch a pass for the first time this season. Against Chicago, Williams didn’t even have a pass directed his way for the first time in his career.

In the last five games, Williams has caught just 5 of 15 passes directed his way for 75 yards.

“Again, it’s opportunity,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He’s gotten opportunities throughout the course of the year and he’s cashed in on them.

“He’s done a really good job blocking. We’d like to get him more opportunities, but we’re running the ball a lot and the passing opportunities are fewer and further between.”

Williams is frustrated, but he’s focused on not letting it affect his preparation or performance. When told he has done an excellent job blocking, Williams said recently, “You have to do something when the ball isn’t coming your way.”

Williams is an important part of this offense because he can help the Cowboys score easy touchdowns with long receptions that set up points.

“He’s done a very good job when things have broken down being a viable receiver for Tony,” Garrett said. “They have a really good rapport, and he’s made a lot of plays that way.”

Impromptu plays are fine, but Garrett and play-caller Scott Linehan need to figure out how to get Williams to be a difference-maker again

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I have been puzzled by this for a while.

These guys aren't getting open whether its a wrong route, wrong release...teams are stacking 8 in the box, so someone has to be open.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around

These guys aren't getting open whether its a wrong route, wrong release...teams are stacking 8 in the box, so someone has to be open.
Beasley has. I also don't think Romo has had the time (or patience) recently to wait on Williams' longer routes. Romo has favored the short to mid passes to Witten, Beasley, Dez, and (more increasingly) Murray. Combine that with the heavy run game... net result is fewer oppertunities for TW.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Beasley has. I also don't think Romo has had the time (or patience) recently to wait on Williams' longer routes. Romo has favored the short to mid passes to Witten, Beasley, Dez, and (more increasingly) Murray. Combine that with the heavy run game... net result is fewer oppertunities for TW.
I think that is probably correct. That's why I said earlier he could use some help in knowing when to break off a route.

Carp

DCC 4Life

I just don't see this...he still gets open, but Romo has settled for safer throws.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just don't see this...he still gets open, but Romo has settled for safer throws.
We have seen multiple plays where Williams is wide open running deep where he could get the TD or a big chunk of yards. Romo just hasn't been throwing those balls. Not sure if it's Romo's back, age or that he is just trying to play safe with the ball but I don't put this one on Williams either. If Romo connects on a few of those balls he is wide open on this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

Top Bottom