Jerry Jones has said he’d do almost anything for a Cowboys Super Bowl. Now it’s time to prove it

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones has said he’d do almost anything for a Cowboys Super Bowl. Now it’s time to prove it

by Charles Robinson
November 29, 2019

On the verge of his induction to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Jerry Jones sat in a hotel room in the summer of 2017 and waxed pridefully about his beginnings with the Dallas Cowboys. He spoke of success and mistakes. He revealed a sliver of regret about his ego getting in the way with Jimmy Johnson. He talked about firing Tom Landry being one of the toughest things he’d ever done, and how the initial foray into NFL ownership had him “scared sh--less”.

Near the end of the conversation, he said this: “There aren’t too many things I wouldn’t do financially to win another Super Bowl. I’ll tell you what — it would be something indecent. There isn’t much I wouldn’t do.”

Nearly three seasons later, sitting at 6-6 after a Thanksgiving Day loss to the Buffalo Bills, Jones is seemingly no closer to his next Super Bowl than he was on that afternoon in 2017. He’s all over the map on head coach Jason Garrett, alternating between putting pressure on his head coach and then essentially calling him a grandmaster of NFL coaching. At any given moment, he’s mad, tearful, frustrated — or promoting hopeful visions of a fairy-tale championship ending to a season in which his franchise is 0-5 against teams with winning records.
ARLINGTON, TEXAS - NOVEMBER 28:  Head coach Jason Garrett of the Dallas Cowboys celebrates a touchdown with Dak Prescott #4 and Ezekiel Elliott #21 against the Buffalo Bills at AT&T Stadium on November 28, 2019 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Jason Garrett and the Cowboys fell flat on Thanksgiving in a loss to Buffalo that dropped Dallas to 6-6. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

We’ve already spent the better part of a week wading into that exhausting roller coaster of emotions. Perhaps it’s time to drill down on Jerry’s “there isn’t much I wouldn’t do” proclamation about winning his next Super Bowl. The one he has made several times over the past few years and repeated frequently during his Hall of Fame media tour in 2017. In the wake of Jones’ latest supportive diatribe on Thursday — where he spoke about knowing the character of the coaches he put into the locker room and how he and Garrett have been through a lot together — let’s focus on whether Jones is prepared to do now what he said he was prepared to do years ago.
Something financially indecent.
OK, Jerry. Prove it.

Either do it or stop saying it. He’s the one who keeps setting the bar atop the mountain. He’s the one who keeps saying over and over how much he likes his team and his coach and how he thinks a Super Bowl is achievable. That’s Jones’ product. He’s selling hope as much as entertainment. At some point, it has to stop being a mirage because people aren’t going to keep drinking sand just because he’s calling it water.

OK, Jerry. Prove that there isn’t much you wouldn’t do.

Start by separating what is clearly a friendship with Garrett from the business partnership with him. Treat him like the head coach who is supposed to take the roster you built and execute the lofty goals you have set. State clearly what you’ve already alluded to during an emotional teeter-tottering over the past week: Either Garrett finally gets this edition of the Cowboys to the Super Bowl, or he’s done in Dallas.
Call it a firing, call it his contract expiring, call it a fresh start, whatever makes Jones feel right about it. But come out and say precisely what is expected of Garrett. He deserves to know the target. The locker room deserves to know whether every game is a fight for their coach’s job. And the fan base deserves to know whether Jones is capable of drawing a line of expectation, or whether the thirst for a meaningful standard is going to result in another glass of sand.

Start by doing that. And then prepare a hellacious contingency plan for failure. Something truly indecent from a financial standpoint. Because let’s be real here: Jones’ net worth is pegged at $7 billion. He has the NFL’s most valuable franchise. His energy holdings in Comstock Resources is positioned to produce generational wealth. He has a super yacht valued at $250 million and rarely lays his eyes on something he can’t buy on the spot. But Jones is also in the winter of his life and can’t take the empire with him to whatever comes next. This means Jones is spending from what will eventually become an inheritance that is going to place his children in the top 1 percent of the 1 percent.

A golden carrot can be created. Money is no object. The Jon Gruden contract of $10 million per season over 10 years? Stop wasting time. How about $20 million per season over 10? There isn’t a coach in America who would turn down a guaranteed $200 million contract. If the New England Patriots’ Bill Belichick was available after the season, he’d have to think about that kind of money. And if he said he wouldn’t consider it, that means he wants to be offered more.

You said you’d consider something financially obscene, Jerry. Well, this fits that description.

Make good on that promise and then produce a list. Throw all the monster names in college on there. Nick Saban? He would have to think long and hard about $20 million a season. Lincoln Riley? Dabo Swinney? Show them the $200 million check and see if they try to argue they already have it better than the Dallas Cowboys.
Then go ahead and add in the best NFL coordinators — guys like the Patriots’ Josh McDaniels and 49ers’ Robert Saleh — but don’t make a mistake and stop there. Ignore whether the ideal candidates are currently head coaches of other NFL teams. If Jones is serious about one more Super Bowl, no one should be ruled out. Belichick supposedly isn’t an option? Who cares. Use the back-channels and find out. Sean Payton? Make that call. John Harbaugh? Kyle Shanahan? Sean McVay? Pete Carroll? Put them all on it and see if a situation develops that might surprise.

Above all else, put the kind of money behind this job to make people think you must be insane. That’s what this is going to take: thinking in terms that seem to be unachievable. You can’t know what’s possible with your next head coach until you consider that maybe nothing is impossible.

Before Jones gets to any of this, he must come to grips with what Garrett is and what he isn’t. Stop believing in Garrett’s speeches and start believing in the results. The Cowboys are 6-6 with one of the best overall rosters in the NFL. They haven’t beaten a single team with a record better than .500. They’re in postseason contention now only because the rest of the NFC East is a dumpster fire. And in nearly 10 years and more than $1.3 billion in player salaries paid out (yes, $1.3 billion), Dallas has two playoff wins to show for it.

I understand that Jones wants Garrett to be the guy so badly that he has convinced himself that he must be. Jones must consider that maybe he was wrong about that.
OK, Jerry. Prove it.
Remove the friendship that has you talking about the ups and downs you’ve both been through. Remove the ego that makes you say things about being the guy who knows the coaching room because you “made” the coaching room. And accept a few facts that you already know:

You once did a harder thing when you fired Tom Landry.

You once did a dumber thing when you split with Jimmy Johnson.

You once were “scared sh--less”, but you’re not that team owner anymore.

This is the opportunity to take all of that experience and do something with it. A chance to prove that there isn’t much you wouldn’t do for another Super Bowl. In the name of decency for the fan base — and the gnawing hopes and dreams of toasting one more moment of being the greatest of the greatest — fix this problem and do something financially indecent. Show that all of that bluster over the last few years wasn’t a string of empty words.

And above all else, stop selling the mirage. Nobody is drinking that sand anymore.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I see no issues at all with this. Shit I'm not above giving draft picks for a top coach though I don't think the 2-3 I would want are even a consideration.

I bet it's gonna be Urban Meyer.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Garrett and Jerry deserve each other. And the deserve whatever happens to them. They both stubbornly cling to formulas that clearly don't work. Jerry would have been fired as a GM a long time ago and any GM other than Jerry would have fired Garret a long time ago. So fuck 'em both.

BTW, that photo of Carrot reaching for Zeke's ass is enough to make me puke in my mouth.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I hope these reporters keep the heat on. Make that wrinkly mannequin squirm.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I think Broaddus is just throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks.

Belichick? I doubt it. Payton? Locked up for the next six years.

I am also very much against giving up draft picks for a coach. We are not in any position to give up first round picks.

data

Forbes #1

I think Broaddus is just throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks.

Belichick? I doubt it. Payton? Locked up for the next six years.

I am also very much against giving up draft picks for a coach. We are not in any position to give up first round picks.
We ain’t getting shit.

Jerruh is pissed enough to fire Garrett, but not desperate enough to give up personnel power to any coaching candidate of substance.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We ain’t getting shit.

Jerruh is pissed enough to fire Garrett, but not desperate enough to give up personnel power to any coaching candidate of substance.

Garrett is still here so he isnt pissed enough yet.

Rev

Staff member
We’re still the division leader.

As low as we may be with Garrett now, firing him now would be more damaging than beneficial.

Giants won Super Bowl at 9-7 while losing 4-straight in November.

Garrett cant change this. We all know where this is headed and there has been plenty of examples of teams improving with a change. Even the Cowboys when Garrett took over. So basically you are taking a chance on an unknown or failing with a known.

data

Forbes #1
Garrett cant change this. We all know where this is headed and there has been plenty of examples of teams improving with a change. Even the Cowboys when Garrett took over. So basically you are taking a chance on an unknown or failing with a known.
Ain’t gonna happen with Kellen Moore and Richard as best we have for next-in-line.

If Norv Turner were an assistant right now...maybe.

Rev

Staff member
Ain’t gonna happen with Kellen Moore and Richard as best we have for next-in-line.

Again it's unknown. Might as well let Richard audition. I just dont view it as being able to get worse. Garrett has lost the team so might as well do something.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Moore would be ridiculous (and kind of a deja vu from when Garrett took over).

But I wouldn't mind Richard as interim (bolded so that it's clear what I'm talking about). This team probably needs a kick in the ass.

• Props
Reactions: Rev

data

Forbes #1
Moore would be ridiculous (and kind of a deja vu from when Garrett took over).
:lol

If Moore got the promotion, our head coach selections would be akin to Benjamin Button. We’d be on pace for Leighton Vander Esch to be the next coach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I don’t have. Problem with Moore’s play calling. The execution is another matter. It’s his first year and he absorbs thing well above average based on my knowledge of him so he will find a way to improve player execution if given the chance. He isn’t ready to be a head coach however IMO.

Rev

Staff member
I don’t have. Problem with Moore’s play calling. The execution is another matter. It’s his first year and he absorbs thing well above average based on my knowledge of him so he will find a way to improve player execution if given the chance. He isn’t ready to be a head coach however IMO.
He hasn't been ready for anything that's been given to him. Why change now?

data

Forbes #1
I don’t have. Problem with Moore’s play calling. The execution is another matter. It’s his first year and he absorbs thing well above average based on my knowledge of him so he will find a way to improve player execution if given the chance.
That’s fine, but to have Kellen Moore promoted to head coach with one full year of any type of coaching experience is absurd beyond belief.

Al Pacino has more experience as coach studying for Any Given Sunday.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That’s fine, but to have Kellen Moore promoted to head coach with one full year of any type of coaching experience is absurd beyond belief.

Al Pacino has more experience as coach studying for Any Given Sunday.
Wasn’t promoting the idea of him being head coach. I amended that as soon as I posted it.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Again it's unknown. Might as well let Richard audition. I just dont view it as being able to get worse. Garrett has lost the team so might as well do something.
Until this morning, I didn't see any sense in firing Garrett while we're still in the playoff mix. Especially being in complete control of our own destiny.
But now I'm all for letting Richard take it from here. At least give him a shot.
I really think Jerry is at the "Campo years" frustration level. Where he's actually ready to make a legit move for the biggest name guy he can get.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I really think Jerry is at the "Campo years" frustration level. Where he's actually ready to make a legit move for the biggest name guy he can get.
Nope. He'll hire someone cheap, inexperienced and easily bullied. He was at his most miserable when playing second fiddle to alphas like Tuna and Jimmy. He's too old to swallow his pride again.

data

Forbes #1
Nope. He'll hire someone cheap, inexperienced and easily bullied. He was at his most miserable when playing second fiddle to alphas like Tuna and Jimmy. He's too old to swallow his pride again.
Brian Schottenheimer.

Son of a relic that Jerruh will have vetted through that team’s owner. Brian won’t demand GM authority.

Working with Russell Wilson, so he’ll “know” how to maximize Dak.

Top Bottom