Infatuation with Size at CB

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It seems to me that the team has hopped on the bandwagon along with the rest of the league in terms of falling in love with size at CB, namely guys who are 6-0+, an arbitrary delineation for sure.

I believe it is why we got rid of Moore for seemingly no reason (he's about 5-10) and picked up Corey White (6-1) despite the fact that Moore played probably 300+ snaps for us last year at a reasonably high level and would have only cost around 1-2 million on a 1 year deal.

Look at the guys we've brought in for pre-draft visits:

Kevin Johnson - 6-0
Byron Jones - 6-1
Jalen Collins - 6-1
Josh Shaw - 6-0
Marcus Peters - 6-0
PJ Williams - 6-0

We are seemingly ignoring tough, productive guys like Senquez Golson or Steven Nelson who would be value picks in the 3rd-4th area because of their height, and we will probably end up taking a guy whose stock is inflated due to a desire to mimic the Seahawks.

Of course nobody talks about how the Seahawks got Sherman and Maxwell in the 5th and 6th round, Tharold Simon in the 5th, that Cary Williams and Will Blackmon are off the scrap heap, or about the fact that the lynchpin to their defense is that they can get away with basically playing with only a single high safety due to the range of Thomas, allowing Chancellor to roam as he sees fit, and allowing the CB's to play within a simplified framework.

In my opinion it's important to get in on the ground floor of drafting trends, it's why the Steelers could easily find 3-4 OLB's late in the draft back in the day when everybody was running a 4-3. Instead we are following the crowd, seemingly ignoring guys who we could get at a cheaper draft pick and overinflating the value of guys like Collins and Jones who don't have great on field production because of their height/measureables.

It's also probably the reason that we let a serviceable player at an unsettled position leave in free agency when the guy would've cost basically peanuts. I'm very certain it will be the reason that we end up overdrafting a CB at 27 and sinking even more resources into a position that we have arguably sunk more resources into than any other position group outside of the OL over the last 5 years, with little to no return, and it truly is pathetic.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Isn't Marinellis cover-2 pretty much about corners that can tackle?
I'd like to think we are going in that direction.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Isn't Marinellis cover-2 pretty much about corners that can tackle?
I'd like to think we are going in that direction.
Yea, sure, but that doesn't mean that all CB's that are 6-0+ are tough and can tackle. Scandrick is our best tackling CB and he's about 5-10, Ronde Barber was one of the best tackling CB's of a generation at 5-9.

Guys like Golson and Nelson are very tough and probably at least as good, if not better tacklers than all of these jokers that we've brought in to visit.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well said. I look at the fact that we haven't had a rangey free safety in forever and I don't wonder why our defense has mostly under achieved for years. That and pass rush are our biggest needs.

data

Forbes #1
Good points to think about. Won't know until after next week. W.A.S.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I totally agree and it's why I've never had a problem with a corner on the shorter side. They tend to be quicker and able to change directions faster. Unless you are running a lot of press coverage I don't think that you need particularly long corners.

The rangy safety is something that we have been in desperate need of but we haven't really made much of an attempt to get. Of course it's not easy to find those guys either. The Ed Reed/Earl Thomas just doesn't come around very often. Even the top safety in this draft is viewed as more of an in the box guy.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yea, sure, but that doesn't mean that all CB's that are 6-0+ are tough and can tackle. Scandrick is our best tackling CB and he's about 5-10, Ronde Barber was one of the best tackling CB's of a generation at 5-9.

Guys like Golson and Nelson are very tough and probably at least as good, if not better tacklers than all of these jokers that we've brought in to visit.
I really don't think they are ignoring Marinelli in all of this and if I remember his cb's were around the same size.

It just so happens that this year the top ranked guys are around that size.

Top Bottom