Huge explosion rocks Beirut

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Because it needed pointing out, since nobody else was raising the point?
Again I’m interested in understanding your politics, not really care for whom you vote or support, but why. Historically Mexico has done better when there’s a republican in the White House. I’m pro choice like a D, pro death sentence like a R, pro universal healthcare like any decent human being should, pro free market and as little government intervention as possible like any person who believes in themselves should and against government overspending like no politician apparently is.
You're for universal healthcare and also for smaller government? That doesn't compute.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're for universal healthcare and also for smaller government? That doesn't compute.
I guess he could support Universal health care and a small government in every other way possible. Oddly enough I'd be all for everyone under the age of 18 having free health care if our government wasn't so awful at running this stuff. No child should be restricted from medicine because their worthless parent doesn't want to foot a bill. But at the same time our government run anything is so god awful and costs 100 times more than it would privately so I hate to even give them any power.

To me once you're an adult you need to take a little responsibility for yourself. I'd say your children too but we know how that goes.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I guess he could support Universal health care and a small government in every other way possible. Oddly enough I'd be all for everyone under the age of 18 having free health care if our government wasn't so awful at running this stuff. No child should be restricted from medicine because their worthless parent doesn't want to foot a bill. But at the same time our government run anything is so god awful and costs 100 times more than it would privately so I hate to even give them any power.

To me once you're an adult you need to take a little responsibility for yourself. I'd say your children too but we know how that goes.
That is the problem, not universal healthcare, most of Europe has it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
Your problem with universal healthcare is not that you consider it to be too expensive? What other problem do you have with it?
Cost is definitely a big part of the problem. Not just with the premium and taxes costs, but also pharma, co-pay, etc. But, that isn't the only issues.

• Weeks of waitlists for procedures (this has been proven over and over again)
  • No choice of doctor and government inefficiency greatly decreases quality of care
  • The government getting to set the cost of healthcare at their whim
  • The government's proven bloated pork spending would result in much higher taxes to compensate

That is only a few I could come up with without much thinking. There are many more why the government shouldn't be involved in healthcare in any way other than drug safety and regulatory legislation.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Is healthcare free in Mexico? I honestly don't know. If so, is it any good?
There is free healthcare in Mexico and no it’s not very good, but if you’re comparing the US to Mexico I’m guessing your not part of the “America is the greatest country in the world” crowd...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
There is free healthcare in Mexico and no it’s not very good, but if you’re comparing the US to Mexico I’m guessing your not part of the “America is the greatest country in the world” crowd...
Defensive much? I was just asking a question. Like I said... I didn't know.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Cost is definitely a big part of the problem. Not just with the premium and taxes costs, but also pharma, co-pay, etc. But, that isn't the only issues.
What % of your salary do you use for health insurance and other health related issues? And the purpose of universal health-care is to do away with insurance premiums, co-pay, etc.
  • Weeks of waitlists for procedures (this has been proven over and over again)
  • Proven where? I can only speak of the German experience, but by taking away the high cost of medical expenses starting with consults, people are more likely to go as a doctor early instead of waiting so the "weeks" you talk about are not critical, all critical cases are treated immediately. As a plus preventive and alternative medicine are also covered which again lowers cost and number of extreme cases.
    [*]No choice of doctor and government inefficiency greatly decreases quality of care
  • No choice of doctor is not The case since it covers your GP, and let's be honest that's basically The only one you choose The others you get referred to by him. how does Government inefficiency decrease The quality? Will they be teaching the medical personnel? Making the machine, medicine?? This would again go to cost.
    [*]The government getting to set the cost of healthcare at their whim
  • So we're back to cost and to any decent government keeping The cost down would be in their own best interest, universal health care doesn't mean private sector disappears. There's still that option for those that want it.
    [*]The government's proven bloated pork spending would result in much higher taxes to compensate
And we're back to cost.

That is only a few I could come up with without much thinking. There are many more why the government shouldn't be involved in healthcare in any way other than drug safety and regulatory legislation.
Wouldn't it be much easier for people to enjoy their 'unalienable rights' of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness knowing that their health is covered and looked after? Everyone talks about the importance of health.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
any decent government keeping The cost down would be in their own best interest
:rofl

For someone who says they're interested in American politics, (or any gov't, for that matter) you sure haven't been paying attention if you actually believe this.

Cotton

Staff member
What % of your salary do you use for health insurance and other health related issues? And the purpose of universal health-care is to do away with insurance premiums, co-pay, etc.
  • Proven where? I can only speak of the German experience, but by taking away the high cost of medical expenses starting with consults, people are more likely to go as a doctor early instead of waiting so the "weeks" you talk about are not critical, all critical cases are treated immediately. As a plus preventive and alternative medicine are also covered which again lowers cost and number of extreme cases.
  • No choice of doctor is not The case since it covers your GP, and let's be honest that's basically The only one you choose The others you get referred to by him. how does Government inefficiency decrease The quality? Will they be teaching the medical personnel? Making the machine, medicine?? This would again go to cost.
  • So we're back to cost and to any decent government keeping The cost down would be in their own best interest, universal health care doesn't mean private sector disappears. There's still that option for those that want it.
And we're back to cost.

Wouldn't it be much easier for people to enjoy their 'unalienable rights' of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness knowing that their health is covered and looked after? Everyone talks about the importance of health.
Jesus Christ, man. None of this is true at all. There are weeks long waitlists in Canada for common procedures like knee replacements. The government is already massively bloated and inefficient. You don't think the same would hold for healthcare. Hell, just look at what an abomination Obama care was/is. I'm not going to put any more effort into this debate if you keep coming at me with this nonsense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I like my insurance program and it’s in part sponsored by a government program called Medicare. This isn’t a free program but the premium fairly low. It alone however leaves some large gaps in coverage versus costs so it really requires another supplemental insurance policy to be adequate for the costs incurred of medical care. That said I have about as good a plan as anyone and the costs are affordable to me for the coverage.

Now here’s the real issue. Does government owe me to obligation to offer this coverage? The answer is no they do not. Nor does the government owe any obligation to provide adequate or any other coverage to anyone. There is a misconception about what the obligation of government is which is to provide a safe environment for its citizens so they in turn can pursue a life of liberty and justice. Entailed in this is a lot of responsibilities by the government but being obligated to supply a financial and personal lifestyle for its citizens is not in the constitutional guidelines.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I sometimes think about what I'd do if I was filthy rich like Elon Musk or the Amazon guy. Set aside a considerable amount, like hundreds of millions away for myself and future mcnuttz generations. But then I take a look at what is still left...BILLIONS. Stand up a national healthcare fund. Kids are covered until they're 18, when they start paying $10/month and that's the rate for life.

There's just a few small details to work through, but by the time I get my billions we'll be set for launch.

Top Bottom