How the Cowboys’ defense has undergone a remarkable transformation during this late-season run

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
[

Do you trust Nolan with a better defensive roster?
Not really but if Nolan can continue to coax these guys into turnovers while we upgrade the talent at a few spots, I'd be ok with it compared to the alternative.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I’d rather see Dallas bring in a good college DC, upgrade the LB and DT positions, add more DE depth. I just think Nolan is what he is, and until I see a performance like Sunday against the Bucs or Packers it’s just fools gold. Regardless we can’t stop the run right now, and that’s the downfall if we miraculously make it in to the playoffs.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Can Nolan play bad offensive teams every week? Can we at least see how this defense performs against a good team? They played a rookie and he did very well against them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can Nolan play bad offensive teams every week? Can we at least see how this defense performs against a good team? They played a rookie and he did very well against them.
Eh I don't know that I'd say he played really well. He completed a few big passes but for the most part I thought he wasn't that good. He also fumbled a couple of times and threw a couple picks.

I agree though, no reason to start thinking about keeping Nolan. I just think his schemes are flawed when it comes to stopping the run. Combine that with our lack of talent up the gut and you get historically bad run defense.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
I submit we played well against two good teams: Pittsburgh and Minnesota

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I submit we played well against two good teams: Pittsburgh and Minnesota

I don't know if played "well" is the right way to put it, but certainly much better than the historic depths they had been playing at.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if played "well" is the right way to put it, but certainly much better than the historic depths they had been playing at.
The defense has gotten better. Which you should expect with the implementation of a complex new scheme but I don't know that it will ever get where we want with these coaches.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, I hate to say it and don't want to see it, but I would bet money Nolan is back.
Yep. I'd rather see someone better, but it could be okay if they have a good defensive draft and maybe get a decent vet FA or two. Let's face it, there are very few even decent defensive players on this team right now. Even with a new DC they're going to have to hit pretty big on new players to be any good.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The good things/notable positives coming from those games

Against Minny:

2 fumbles forced/recovered first half

Dalvin Cook did not run wild

Against Pitt:

Defense forced several punts, and at least 2 turnovers on downs (failures to convert 4th and short)

40 total rushing yards

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Would be interesting to see who was on the line other than Lawrence on that play. I know the DTs are crap but was that Smith or Armstrong on the other spot? Cant imagine they would have left Gregory alone.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Would be interesting to see who was on the line other than Lawrence on that play. I know the DTs are crap but was that Smith or Armstrong on the other spot? Cant imagine they would have left Gregory alone.
It was the first play of the game. Smith was the other end.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The old adage is that turnovers tend to come in bunches. This has certainly proven true for the Cowboys, who’ve had nearly as many takeaways in the past three games (10) as they had in the first 12 (11). It shouldn’t be a surprise that the influx of takeaways in the past three games led to three victories.

During the three-game win streak, the Cowboys are averaging an absurd 3.3 turnovers per game (10 total), which is 1.3 more turnovers per game than second place (six total in the same span). And that’s after recovering just one of three forced fumbles against Philadelphia on Sunday (the fourth was caused on special teams).

Before the win streak, the Cowboys were one of the league’s worst teams at forcing turnovers, ranking 31st in takeaways per game (0.9).

With 10 takeaways in the past three weeks, the Cowboys have climbed all the way to a tie for ninth (1.4).

Top Bottom