How the Cowboys’ defense has undergone a remarkable transformation during this late-season run

p1_

DCC 4Life
How the Cowboys’ defense has undergone a remarkable transformation during this late-season run

The Cowboys’ defense has forced 10 turnovers during this December winning streak.

By David Moore

9:30 PM on Dec 27, 2020

ARLINGTON — In a season that makes absolutely no sense, it’s hard to know where to start.

Forget even pretending to predict how it will end.

But as the Cowboys head into the final week of the regular season, ask yourself what is more improbable: that Dallas can win the NFC East after all its endured or the fact this defense has come back from the dead to play a crucial role?

Call it a toss-up.

“I can’t say enough about the football team, the whole operation, how everyone has battled and the challenges we’ve had,” head coach Mike McCarthy said after his team’s 37-17 win over Philadelphia at AT&T Stadium. “We have seen things come full circle these past three weeks. This is an excellent team win.

“Now we have a chance next week.”

The Cowboys had a 0.87% chance to win the division heading into last week’s game with San Francisco. A win against the Niners bumped those odds to 5%.

But if Dallas beats the New York Giants in Week 17 and Philadelphia disposes of a Washington team that has lost two straight, the franchise will have arguably the most unlikely division title in its rich history.

The Cowboys have won three straight, outscoring opponents 108-57, for this opportunity.

“It’s been a long season, and we’ve been able to push through some of the tough stretches we had,” said quarterback Andy Dalton, who threw for 377 yards and led the offense on five consecutive scoring drives that ranged between 63 and 80 yards. “You want to be playing your best football in December and going into January, and for us, we feel like we’re doing that now.”

The offense has averaged 36 points over the last three games. The defense …

Well, its transformation has been even more remarkable.

A group that held opponents to less than 20 points just once in the first 12 games has done so twice during this winning streak. Philadelphia opened Sunday’s game with an 11-play, 75-yard touchdown drive and came right back with an 81-yard strike to DeSean Jackson to jump to a 14-3 lead.

“You’ve got to give Philly credit,” McCarthy said. “They stuck to their early script and were able to hit on a couple of big plays.

“But defensively, we came back and did a great job. There wasn’t any panic.”

Philadelphia never found the end zone again, managing just one field goal in its final 11 possessions.

“As cliché as it sounds, especially on defense, we bend but don’t break,” said defensive end Randy Gregory, who finished with 11/2 sacks, forced three fumbles and tortured Philadelphia quarterback Jalen Hurts throughout the afternoon. “Today was a perfect example. We got down early, but I think we’re very prideful in our work [and] understand what we need to do when we play at the highest level.

“It showed there when we got down.”

This defense has allowed 450 points and 54 touchdowns. Both are franchise records for futility and were set in this game.

But this maligned bunch has forced 10 turnovers in this December winning streak. Three of them came in the final 6:40 of the fourth quarter as the Eagles desperately tried to stave off elimination.

Cornerback Anthony Brown intercepted a pass in the end zone intended for receiver Travis Fulgham.

Gregory stripped Hurts on a scramble and linebacker Jaylon Smith recovered.

Rookie Trevon Diggs then picked off his third pass of the season on a pass intended for receiver Jalen Reagor.

“Guys are showing up,” Gregory said.

McCarthy credits a resilient group that has gotten more time on task and is getting healthier, even though the defense overall was without three starters in defensive tackle Antwaun Woods, linebacker Leighton Vander Esch and safety Xavier Woods.

“It’s the continuity of how we do things and guys spending time together,” the Cowboys head coach said of the improvement. “It’s cohesiveness.’'

Cohesiveness was in short supply after the Cowboys lost to Washington 41-16 on Thanksgiving. That demoralizing defeat appeared to be the one that would break Dallas. It did give Washington a sweep and force the Cowboys to finish ahead of Washington in the standings to win the division.

Inexplicably, that scenario still exists in Week 17.

“We still have to take care of our own opportunity and hope for some help,” McCarthy said. “The fact is we’re playing really good team football right now. I can’t be happier for the players.

“We stayed the course.”

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Whats the take on Dan Quinn? Had some great defense in Seattle but Atlanta defense has been not so good for most of his tenure. Is there a McCarthy connection somewhere?

Tony D

DCC 4Life
You all know Nolan is staying after the way the defense has improved. I mean how could it not? It was historically bad. Fools gold. That's how the Jones' roll.

Rev

Staff member
You all know Nolan is staying after the way the defense has improved. I mean how could it not? It was historically bad. Fools gold. That's how the Jones' roll.
We still gave up almost 500 yards of offense yesterday. Just wait and see what Brady does to us in the playoffs.

I think he is gone regardless and if you believe the source from one of the talk shows he is all but gone.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, look at the offenses this defense has been playing. Total scrubs plus a rookie in his third game ever. Brady and those receivers would score at will and bring Jerry and everyone else back to reality.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying I wouldn't get a new DC. Just saying don't be surprised when Nolan comes back and McCarthy and Jones stand pat.

And you have to give the defense some props. They have improved. I don't care who they were playing. Hell, yesterday when it was 14-3 you all thought Philly was going to put up 40. Didn't happen. Nolan adjusted. Put a spy on Hurts and that was that.

The way this defense was playing into November it didn't matter who they were playing, rookie QB, dreadful offense, etc. we had no confidence they were going to slow anybody down and rightfully so. So they have improved.
Creating turnovers is huge.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
this is how bad the fans will accept any hope. we beat some bad teams and all of a sudden we are Brady Patriots.

Its sad Hurts had as good game as he did vs us. You know the offensive giant the Eagles are. But you know, beating some bad team and Cowboys be styling all of a sudden.

the only thing we are accomplishing is getting worse in the draft with nothing to show for it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The defense has looked better, I will admit that much.

But the Eagles totally abandoned what was working well early yesterday, and I don't recall Dallas' defense doing much to force that change.

Rev

Staff member
We also benefited from an OC that tried to get too smart and went away from the run. Had they stuck with the run we most likely would be talking about draft picks more seriously.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
this is how bad the fans will accept any hope. we beat some bad teams and all of a sudden we are Brady Patriots.

Its sad Hurts had as good game as he did vs us. You know the offensive giant the Eagles are. But you know, beating some bad team and Cowboys be styling all of a sudden.

the only thing we are accomplishing is getting worse in the draft with nothing to show for it.
I had been feeling the same way, but am starting to buy into the little bit of fight that the team has. Young guys who are going to stick around will be the leaders in a couple short years. And the guys who aren't improving late in the season hopefully won't be back next year. Bye JayLON!!! If they're buying in, let's just enjoy the ride. We were fucked out of the #3 spot anyway.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
We absolutely did something to slow Hurts down. Hurts had the bomb to Jackson and some good runs early. That was it.

You really think we did nothing to stop them and they just abandoned what was working?

Give credit where credit is due. They put a spy on Hurts quite a bit. CJ Goodwin was on the field. Ha.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We absolutely did something to slow Hurts down. Hurts had the bomb to Jackson and some good runs early. That was it.

You really think we did nothing to stop them and they just abandoned what was working?

Give credit where credit is due. They put a spy on Hurts quite a bit. CJ Goodwin was on the field. Ha.
Yeah I don't think we did bad containing the run. Sanders averaged 3.8 ypc and the Eagles still ran the ball 29 times. It's not like they totally abandoned the run.

The defense played well. After they gave up 14 points right off the bat I thought we were in for a long game. Didn't give up a TD after that though.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I hate to say it and don't want to see it, but I would bet money Nolan is back.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The defense has looked better, I will admit that much.

But the Eagles totally abandoned what was working well early yesterday, and I don't recall Dallas' defense doing much to force that change.
About the only adjustment that impacted things was how the DL got Hurts out of scrambling lanes and made him a pocket passer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
About the only adjustment that impacted things was how the DL got Hurts out of scrambling lanes and made him a pocket passer.
Yeah the Dline definitely adjusted and started staying in front of him instead of rushing past Hurts.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I had been feeling the same way, but am starting to buy into the little bit of fight that the team has. Young guys who are going to stick around will be the leaders in a couple short years. And the guys who aren't improving late in the season hopefully won't be back next year. Bye JayLON!!! If they're buying in, let's just enjoy the ride. We were fucked out of the #3 spot anyway.

cant argue this, im on board with you, im probably just disgruntled with the year. the last 25 has been 1 long bad year

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's all about turnovers, the defense still isn't especially good but turnovers make up for quite a bit.

I don't want Nolan back but I do think if we had Prescott and a reasonably healthy OL the way the defense is playing right now would be enough to compete deep into the playoffs. Might not be enough to go all the way but I think we could definitely win a playoff game or two.

I'll say this, I'd rather have Nolan back and a concerted effort made to upgrade the roster rather than a new DC and the same old bullshit shitbird FA signings.

Of course we'll probably get the worst of both worlds with Nolan back and a bunch of shitbird FA's.

p1_

DCC 4Life
[
It's all about turnovers, the defense still isn't especially good but turnovers make up for quite a bit.

I don't want Nolan back but I do think if we had Prescott and a reasonably healthy OL the way the defense is playing right now would be enough to compete deep into the playoffs. Might not be enough to go all the way but I think we could definitely win a playoff game or two.

I'll say this, I'd rather have Nolan back and a concerted effort made to upgrade the roster rather than a new DC and the same old bullshit shitbird FA signings.

Of course we'll probably get the worst of both worlds with Nolan back and a bunch of shitbird FA's.
Do you trust Nolan with a better defensive roster?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
[

Do you trust Nolan with a better defensive roster?
I just don't trust Nolan. I just don't think he is a very good coordinator. His track record tells me all I need to know. I appreciate that things have started to come together a little bit but that doesn't change my opinion on the guy. I think his ceiling is being able to run a mediocre defense.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I just don't trust Nolan. I just don't think he is a very good coordinator. His track record tells me all I need to know. I appreciate that things have started to come together a little bit but that doesn't change my opinion on the guy. I think his ceiling is being able to run a mediocre defense.
I have to say, yesterday the adjustments made were unexpected and refreshing. Im so used to stubborn adherence to a failing philosophy, that just a little defensive change is something.

Top Bottom