HOF Debate for Tony Romo and Eli Manning

By 2030 (+5 years of eligibility for each player), who is deserving and who will be inducted in HOF?

• (Pick one from ROMO 1-4 below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ROMO 3. Romo doesn't deserve it, but will get inducted.

• (Pick one from ELI 1-4)

• ELI 2. I believe Eli deserves it, but will not get inducted.

• ELI 4. Eli doesn't deserve it and won't be inducted.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

data

Forbes #1
I see Tony Romo's career similar to Steve Young. Tony Romo's career wasn't as long (~9 full seasons for 127 total games), so he's not high up on the all-time lists for cumulative passing metrics (ie total TDs, yards, etc), but his efficiency stats are.

To better compare Romo and Eli Manning, I posted Eli's stats for his first 8 full seasons as starter (2005-2013, 128 games total) in "".

So, Romo's 127 games vs Eli's 128 games.
---
ROMO (127 games started)
EFFICIENCY STATS (REGULAR SEASON)
- QB Passer Rating. #4 all-time (97.1)
- ANY/A. #5 all-time (7.03)
- Completion %. #7 all-time (65.3%)
- W-L %. ~#20 all-time amongst modern-era (78-49, 0.614)

EFFICIENCY STATS (PLAYOFFS)
Post-Season Stats (min 150 pass attempts)
- QB Passer Rating. #13 all-time (93.0)
- ANY/A. #33 all-time (5.87)
- Completion %. #19 all-time (61.6%)

CAREER STATS (REGULAR SEASON)
- Passing Yards. #32 all-time (34,183)
- 4th Qtr Comebacks. #17 all-time (24)
- GW-drives. #20 all-time (29)

-----------

Eli Manning
EFFICIENCY STATS (REGULAR SEASON) ""FIRST EIGHT SEASONS""
- QB Passer Rating. #45 all-time (84.1) ""#47 all-time (84.0)""
- ANY/A. #35 all-time (5.92) ""#29 all-time (6.07)""
- Completion %. #43 all-time (60.3%) ""#66 all-time (59.0%)""
- W-L %. ~#55 all-time amongst modern-era (117-117, 0.500)""~#24 all-time (77-51, 0.602)"

EFFICIENCY STATS (PLAYOFFS)
Post-Season Stats (min 150 pass attempts)
- QB Passer Rating. #19 all-time (87.4)
- ANY/A. #25 all-time (6.12)
- Completion %. #24 all-time (60.5%)

CAREER STATS (REGULAR SEASON)
- Passing Yards. #7 all-time (57,023) ""#48 all-time (30,484)""
- 4th Qtr Comebacks. #13 all-time (27) ""#28 all-time (20)""
- GW-drives. #10 all-time (37)"" #36 all-time (23)""

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Romo vs Rivers is better comparison, but they’re both fighting front runner Eli for HOF
Putting Eli in the HOF would be like putting Jim McMahon in, both are shitty qbs that rode their defense to a win

data

Forbes #1
Putting Eli in the HOF would be like putting Jim McMahon in, both are shitty qbs that rode their defense to a win
I won’t go that far to call Eli shitty. Eli was impressive in beating Favre in freezing GB, Rodgers in freezing GB. His most impressive wins, in my opinion.

Eli also showed great stamina (although not statistically great game) in that intense OT San Fran NFCC.

Eli’s second SB was impressive, posting 103.7 QB rating and deserved SB MVP.

But, yeah, very much assisted by his defense.

This era, I’d say most wouldn’t contest that he’s — at best — sixth best behind Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger.

...and why would the HOF induct the sixth best QB when they won’t even out in the third best players at other positions?

Better than Jim MacMahon, Eli Manning is in a tier between Phil Simms and Aikman/Terry Bradshaw, closer to Simms, though.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Now... Romo for Hall of Very Good

Eli for Hall of Fame

The position’s greatness is measured in excellence, longevity, and leading your team in the postseason— weighted strongly on the last one.

Romo was very strong at the first, above average on the second, and a flat out dud on the third.

Eli was not excellent overall, but he dominated the last two. The Giants would not have won those championships without him making so many clutch deep throws at the right moments. Toomer, Tyree, Plaxico, Manningham— it didn’t matter who, but how and when.

Romo’s signature moment was a pass that was caught and ruled incomplete. Just not enough for the HOF... yet.

Romo’s chance will come when he has a lot more gray hair and has excelled as a broadcaster for a decade or two. Then the picture will be complete and he should get in at long last.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I’m 30, so I didn’t get to grow up watching the glory days. Amongst squabbles with other fans, I have the paltry advantage of being able to say I was alive during the last championship. Spent my first full season as a fan, watching every single game, in Dave Campo’s first year. Great. Things sucked until Romo, and he was my favorite player of all time.

But he doesn’t deserve to be in the Hall. HOF talent? Hell yes. Resume? No.

data

Forbes #1
From 60s-70s, you have eleven QBs. Starr, Staubach, Namath, Dawson, Griese, Stabler, Jurgensen, Unitas, Bradshaw, Fouts, Tarkenton

From the 80s-90s, you have eight QBs. Kelly, Elway, Marino, Montana, Moon, Aikman, Favre, Young

For the 2000s - 10s, you’re looking at minimum 6 QBs. Kurt Warner, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rodgers...

...at six spots, maybe there is room for the next tier with Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Philip Rivers. Maybe all three to make 9 QBs, which would be in line with the previous decades. However, Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson might join this group for competition, making it tougher for Romo and Rivers as they’re climbing up the all-time charts and have a SB appearance.

Last edited:

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Manning has two rings. Based on that alone he probably gets in. Based on his entire body of work, though, he doesn't deserve a spot.

Romo never won anything of note, and justified or not he still had the nickname of Choko. Too many memories of him folding at the big moments.

HOF nominations have become just like the draft -- promotional and marketing opportunities for the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manning doesn't deserve the HOF. I won't say he outright sucked but to me he was Flacco with one more Superbowl win. Props to them for winning the Superbowl. During their prime they weren't total suckage. The difference is the Ravens moved on from Flacco while the Giants clung to shit for half a decade.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think everyone knows my take on Eli. I think I have been quite clear about it.

Romo? Eh, I think he probably has the talent level you would expect in a HOFer, but he just doesn't have the skins. I don't anticipate him ever getting in.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think everyone knows my take on Eli. I think I have been quite clear about it.

Romo? Eh, I think he probably has the talent level you would expect in a HOFer, but he just doesn't have the skins. I don't anticipate him ever getting in.
Oh I fully expect an undeserving Eli to get in and Romo to sit at home. And to me Romo belongs in the Hall of Very good but not Hall of Fame. Nothing wrong with that. Eli in my opinion doesn't deserve it either. If you combine the two guys to me that's what a Hall of Fame QB should look like. Give Romo Eli's post season success and that's a HOFer. Give Eli Romo's regular season success and he deserves it to.

In the end Eli will be in and Romo won't be. Although being a big media guy does give Romo a chance. You know the HOF favors guys in the media.

data

Forbes #1
I think Romo being a Cowboy hurts his HOF chances.

Eli Manning isn’t under the shadow of any NY Giants QB. Put together an All-Franchise Team and he’s their guy.

Even if Romo won one SB, he’d still arguably be #3 behind Staubach and Aikman. If dude can’t get respected by his own fan base, that cant help Romo’s mojo with the HOF voters as a non-NFCC having m’fer.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Manning doesn't deserve the HOF. I won't say he outright sucked but to me he was Flacco with one more Superbowl win. Props to them for winning the Superbowl. During their prime they weren't total suckage. The difference is the Ravens moved on from Flacco while the Giants clung to shit for half a decade.
No shit. Larry Brown ain’t in the HOF. Timmy Smith, Doug Williams, Phil Simms or Mark Rypien aren’t in the HOF.

They’re legacies are all still locked, highlights forever preserved to NFL Films symphonies, rehashed frequently and remembered favorably. Why can’t Eli Manning be the same? Why this swell to elevate him into a HOFer?

If his name was Eli Stansbury, or Eli Plunkett, there’s be less of an argument. Cooper Manning might be a semi-finalist next year on name alone.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I see my thoughts on the two align with about 95% of the board.

IMO, Romo was the better QB between the two.

But I still wouldn't vote Romo in either. His numbers are nice and all but I think that's mainly due to the era in which he's played. He only had one season where he was considered a top 5 QB. I agree with Deion Sanders in that regard. I hate the way they're watering day the HOF these days. The Hall should be for the elite of the elite, but they're turning it into the Hall of Very Good.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Actually, I don’t. Could you restate?

And send me your Whataburger receipt this week.
Can I send you my Chick-fil-A receipt since he's not interested in cashing in on the free Whataburger?

Top Bottom