Helman: Meet The Undrafted WR Who's Turning Heads

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

David Helman

DALLASCOWBOYS.COM STAFF WRITER

FRISCO, Texas – At all levels of the draft process, there are targets a team clearly covets.

Sure, that applies to first-round picks most of all. But throughout the prospect pool – including undrafted free agency, some players just tend to stand out.

This year, look no further than Jon’Vea Johnson -- who may have gone undrafted, but seems to be standing out among the Cowboys’ young receiver corps.

“It’s not a surprise, because we loved his film, but Jon’Vea the last two days, his speed and athleticism and how smooth he is has shown up here – almost a little bit earlier than we thought it would,” said Cowboys receivers coach Sanjay Lal.

It makes sense that Lal isn’t surprised by Johnson’s progress, considering how long the Cowboys have been on to him. Johnson was one of just five receivers the team brought to their facility as a pre-draft visitor, and was the only one who wound up going undrafted.

“They showed me the most love throughout the whole process,” Johnson said during the Cowboys’ rookie minicamp.

In fact, among a loaded Toledo receiver group that saw standout Diontae Johnson drafted in the third round and Cody Thompson sign undrafted with Kansas City, Lal said he liked his guy the best.

“I went to the Pro Day, and out of all those Toledo receivers, his Pro Day was off the charts – how athletic he was, how fast,” he said.

That athleticism is a big part of the buzz around the rookie receiver in the month since a draft. Johnson, whose father Jason played briefly in the NFL, posted a 35-inch vertical and a 4.38 time in the 40-yard dash at that Pro Day workout. He averaged 21 yards per catch during his senior year at Toledo, which no doubt prompts speculation that he can be a big-play threat.

“I want to be the guy to take the top off the defense, the speedster guy or like a gadget guy,” Johnson said. “I think I’ve got a really good chance of making this team.”

There’s a lot of work to do if he’s going to make that a reality, but the number seem to favor him. The Cowboys have a clear-cut starting trio of Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and Randall Cobb at receiver. Behind them, the depth chart gets a bit murky.

To this point, he’s made a great first impression. If he keeps it up, there’s no telling what the future could hold.

“He’s done a good job of learning his plays and coming out and showing what he can do,” Lal said. “But it’s not a surprise in terms of what we saw on tape, it’s why we brought him in here.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I can’t express how happy I am Cole Beasely is gone.

We have real receivers in a real pipeline now. Leave the little white guys to Brady.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I can’t express how happy I am Cole Beasely is gone.

We have real receivers in a real pipeline now. Leave the little white guys to Brady.
You say that like its a bad thing. I will take the short white WRs and the Super Bowls all day long.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
You say that like its a bad thing. I will take the short white WRs and the Super Bowls all day long.
You say that like the short white WRs are the reason for those SB wins.

Rev

Staff member
You say that like the short white WRs are the reason for those SB wins.
Tbose short white WRs have Super Bowl rings and In sure that they had some factor in them gettimg them. Surely you aren't going to say that they werent a factor? Ravi just doesnt like Beasely and thats fine but there is a spot for them. Edelman, Welker, and others have been successful there. It's not there fault nobody else can use them correctly. To say that they aren't real WRs just means that the design and scheme is lacking.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Tbose short white WRs have Super Bowl rings and In sure that they had some factor in them gettimg them. Surely you aren't going to say that they werent a factor? Ravi just doesnt like Beasely and thats fine but there is a spot for them. Edelman, Welker, and others have been successful there. It's not there fault nobody else can use them correctly. To say that they aren't real WRs just means that the design and scheme is lacking.
A factor, yes. Not the reason, not even a considerable factor. Brady has done it with loads of different receivers.

Rev

Staff member
A factor, yes. Not the reason, not even a considerable factor. Brady has done it with loads of different receivers.
A lot of different WRs that dont fit the typical prototype of the WR. I also think Edelman and Welker were more than "not even a considerable factor" and I wasnt just considering the Super Bowl.. They still have to make the playoffs as well as the Super Bowls.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
A lot of different WRs that dont fit the typical prototype of the WR.
I don't know about ravi, but this would be my point. That those WRs as well as Beasley are completely replaceable. I couldn't care less what type of WRs we have as long as we have a QB and OC that could gameplan to win with those. But I don't think if Brady had Cobb instead of Edelman he doesn't win the SB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about ravi, but this would be my point. That those WRs as well as Beasley are completely replaceable. I couldn't care less what type of WRs we have as long as we have a QB and OC that could gameplan to win with those. But I don't think if Brady had Cobb instead of Edelman he doesn't win the SB.
The color of one's skin shouldn't matter...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Brady made Edelman. He maximized what Wes Welker could be.

With Randy Moss he broke the WR TD record.

Because of Brady, New England has not invested big money at the WR position. They run their picks and patterns and Brady just flat out executes.

When Gronk is in the lineup, the whole team becomes more dangerous. When Edelman or Amendola is lost for the year, no one gives a shit.

Beasely grew into some kind of strange cult figure during his time here. He fit the niche of a role player fourth stringer well, and so we never developed any legit full-tree WR to replace him until now.

He’d basically disappear for games and as soon as he’d make a key third down conversion fan boys loved him all over again. Who in the whole god damned league plays 86% of their snaps from the slot?? Only that guy.

At last we have three legit athletes who could play X, Z, or slot interchangeably and no DC would be ready for it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think Cobb can be effective as an X but I agree with the overall sentiment that it's better that we have guys who can play both outside and in the slot. There's also a good amount of value in having "big slot" types that you can mix in, which we weren't able to do much of because Beasley was a strict slot guy.

Cedrick Wilson is a guy who was excellent in the slot at Boise but also has the size to line up outside, I'm really curious to see what he can do during the preseason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Cobb can be effective as an X but I agree with the overall sentiment that it's better that we have guys who can play both outside and in the slot. There's also a good amount of value in having "big slot" types that you can mix in, which we weren't able to do much of because Beasley was a strict slot guy.

Cedrick Wilson is a guy who was excellent in the slot at Boise but also has the size to line up outside, I'm really curious to see what he can do during the preseason.
I don't usually get excited about undrafted WRs but I actually have some real hope for this kid out of Toledo. He actually has some special physical traits and he is showing them already in camp. I don't usually get excited about undrafted guys but I think we may have found one worth keeping around.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
The problem with Garrett's scheme all along has always been that WRs break the huddle and line up the same way every time -- and then run the same patterns all the time. Beasely was a slot guy because he always lined up there.

Now, with Moore's wondrous new discovery, pre-snap motion, a WR can start lined up out wide and motion to the slot. So presumably the defense doesn't know who the slot guy is until just before the snap.

Why does a WR receiver have to be pigeon-holed? As Rubey says, "three legit athletes who could play X, Z, or slot interchangeably and no DC would be ready for it." Wow, just imagine.

Garrett's scratching his head: "Gosh, this new-fangled stuff."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Wilson is the one I'm most looking forward to seeing how far they have come. I think he has fantastic potential.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Wilson is the one I'm most looking forward to seeing how far they have come. I think he has fantastic potential.
this is essentially his rookie season. I hope he's as good as advertised.

Top Bottom