Gregory takes shot at Mike Nolan

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Randy Gregory has not played much since the Cowboys made him a second-round choice in 2015, missing 52 games while suspended. But the pass rusher should have played more than he did last season.
He saw action on only 271 defensive snaps in 10 games after returning from a fourth career suspension. Only twice in 2020 did Gregory play more than 40 defensive snaps with 44 a season high.
Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, defensive line coach Jim Tomsula and pass rusher Aldon Smith are gone from the 2020 team, meaning Gregory will play more this season.
“I felt there was a little bit of favoritism going on, . . . refusing to let me outshine their favorite,” Gregory told Dan Pompei of TheAthletic.com. “They knew I could do it, so they did what they could to keep me at bay. I had my times when I was angry. I used to talk to [agent] Peter [Schaffer] about it, and the best thing I could do was just go out there on the field with the plays they give me and make those plays worth it. I did that, but I truly felt I got robbed of a year last year.”
Mike Fisher of SI.com has reported that owner Jerry Jones — who long has held Gregory in high regard — confronted head coach Mike McCarthy in a staff meeting last season about why Gregory wasn’t playing more. New defensive coordinator Dan Quinn wondered the same after joining the staff and watching film of last season.
“I was surprised he didn’t play more,” Quinn said. “I brought it up to Mike. He was at the top of the list for me as far as defining a role. His playing time is going to increase, for sure. I think he’s going to really take off.”
After allowing the most points in team history, the Cowboys fired Nolan and Tomsula. Smith left as a free agent for Seattle in April.
Gregory, who has openly talked about his social anxiety disorder, should get the best chance he has ever had to put his best foot forward this season.

What kind of show is MM running around here? Even Jason’s players didn’t talk out of turn like this. The guy that has failed drug test after drug test is complaining.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What kind of show is MM running around here? Even Jason’s players didn’t talk out of turn like this.
They certainly did. Owens and Crayton had a bunch to say. And I'm sure there were more, if I actually thought about it for awhile.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
I mean at least Owens backed up his talk. Gregory even said himself he’s failed around a 100 drugtest.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Because according to the article he got mad and went to his agent and complained and JJ confronted MM about it. How can anyone complain about playing time when hes constantly failing drug test. I wouldn’t have played him either if I was the coach. He hasn’t shown that he could be counted on. MM should cut his ass tomorrow we all know Jimmy or Parcels would.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Because according to the article he got mad and went to his agent and complained and JJ confronted MM about it. How can anyone complain about playing time when hes constantly failing drug test.
Well, when he is not suspended, he was probably one of the best players on the field.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
The rule said you can’t smoke weed and play in the nfl. There is zero room to complain about favoritism when you don’t follow the rules and then call out the coaching staff in the media. If MM allows this then he’s not the right man for the job. You can’t let players take shots at the coaches in the media even if they are former coaches.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The rule said you can’t smoke weed and play in the nfl. There is zero room to complain about favoritism when you don’t follow the rules and then call out the coaching staff in the media.
Okay, but what does that have to do with playing time? If Gregory was outplaying Smith, as he clearly was, then it would have been smart to give him more playing time.

He served his punishment and followed the rules last year. And truth be told, Aldon Smith was far more of a fuck up than Gregory. So I wouldn't hitch my "follow the rules" argument to Smith's wagon if I were you.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The rule said you can’t smoke weed and play in the nfl. There is zero room to complain about favoritism when you don’t follow the rules and then call out the coaching staff in the media. If MM allows this then he’s not the right man for the job. You can’t let players take shots at the coaches in the media even if they are former coaches.
Right. The operative word there is SAID. As in past tense. It no longer says that. That rule no longer existed last year. So however many tests he may have failed in the past were irrelevant to last year, and in the future. So the issue of past suspensions for a rule that no longer exists mean nothing. He was clearly outplaying others, yet was not getting the deserved playing time. It's been proven in the past, that coaches here play their favorites over more deserving players. And THAT is the issue here.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Well first, clff sounds like a McCarthy hater, which I don't get.

But I will say that I hate when players talk like this. Coaches don't make a habit of playing lesser players just for the hell of it. I'm betting something was going on behind the scenes that made them prefer Smith. After all, why would anyone other than Tomsula have any particular love for him? Not like he was some long time franchise hero.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well first, clff sounds like a McCarthy hater, which I don't get.

But I will say that I hate when players talk like this. Coaches don't make a habit of playing lesser players just for the hell of it. I'm betting something was going on behind the scenes that made them prefer Smith. After all, why would anyone other than Tomsula have any particular love for him? Not like he was some long time franchise hero.
It might have been a Tomsula thing. Might have also been a conditioning thing given he had no camp, missed the first handful of games, and had no season for like 2 years. (Yes, Aldon Smith hadn't played in 5 years but he had camp and several games before Gregory showed up.)

But I agree, there's nothing for Gregory to gain from saying this.

I don't have a problem with him complaining to coaches about his playing time.

But publicly, and accusing coaches of favoritism reeks of entitlement.

Honestly with all his problems and the fact that the team stuck by him, he should really just be putting his head down and going to work. Especially knowing the progress stopper -Aldon Smith- is gone so Gregory is looking at a lot of playing time this season.

There's nothing for him to gain here and it's a bad look given how unreliable he's been leading up to this.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It might have been a Tomsula thing. Might have also been a conditioning thing given he had no camp, missed the first handful of games, and had no season for like 2 years. (Yes, Aldon Smith hadn't played in 5 years but he had camp and several games before Gregory showed up.)

Honestly with all his problems and the fact that the team stuck by him, he should really just be putting his head down and going to work. Especially knowing the progress stopper -Aldon Smith- is gone so Gregory is looking at a lot of playing time this season.

There's nothing for him to gain here and it's a bad look given how unreliable he's been leading up to this.
Jones questioning his playing time enabled him to speak out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't have a problem with him complaining since that coach is no longer with us.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah no reason to really say anything now. I guess everyone is human though and I can't blame him for being frustrated last year. Hell we were all frustrated. Good news is the new coaches appear poised and ready to play him so he just needs to be ready to go have a career year. It's his first chance at a complete and total season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah no reason to really say anything now. I guess everyone is human though and I can't blame him for being frustrated last year. Hell we were all frustrated. Good news is the new coaches appear poised and ready to play him so he just needs to be ready to go have a career year. It's his first chance at a complete and total season.
Yeah Quinn seems on board for him. Now he needs to be prepared for a bigger role.

Top Bottom