Greatest All-Around Athletes List

Spaulding

DCC 4Life
Here's a few, and in no order other than as I think of them.

Herschel Walker - Rushed for over 3K yards his HS senior season, All-American at Georgia in both football and track, Heisman and National Championship winner, pro football record 2411 rushing yards in a season in the USFL, over 2K yards from scrimmage playing 7 different positions for Cowboys in 1988, the trade, Olympic Bobsledder, 2-0 in pro MMA fights. Also has won sprints head to head against Carl Lewis and Darrel Green (need confirmation as I haven't seen it personally).

Walt Garrison - Dallas Cowboys legend, and professional rodeo.

Ed "Too Tall" Jones - Dallas Cowboys legend, 6-0 as pro boxer.

Bo Jackson - 3 sport star in college at football, basketball, and track. Shortened career, but amazing accomplishments in that time in the NFL. Was also an MLB pro.

Deion Sanders - 3 sport star in college at football, baseball and track. MLB pro, and arguably the best shut down CB in the NFL while laso being an all-time great at punt returns, and was a weapon as a WR making him a 3 way player (OF, DF, ST) at one point with Dallas. Has played in both World Series and Super Bowl games. Only player to hit an MLB home run and score and NFL touchdown in the same week.

Jim Thorpe - Competed in 4 different events at the 1912 Olympics: Pentathlon (Gold Medal), Decathlon (Gold Medal), High Jump (4th), Long Jump (7th). A literal one man track team at times for Carlisle. Played three sports professionally: Baseball (MLB), Basketball (barnstorming team long before the NBA was formed), and Football (NFL) where he was a top star and hall of famer.

Danny Ainge - Played pro baseball for the Toronto Blue Jays (MLB), and was a starter for the Larry Bird Celtics (NBA) teams that are among the greatest teams of all time.

Brock Lesnar - NCAA Div I heavyweight wrestling champion in 2000, MMA heavyweight champion (UFC), played for the NFL's Vikings in preseason, but did not make the team, and he has been a legendary professional wrestler mostly for WWE.

Gary Goodridge - world heavyweight professional arm-wrestling champion and a professional fighter in both MMA and Kickboxing.

Charlotte Dod - 5 time Wimbledon winner (still youngest to win that event) in pro tennis, British ladies amateur golf champion, Olympic Silver Medal in archery, played for the British Women's National Field Hockey team.

Mildred "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias - Member of AAU Basketball Championship team, AAU one woman track team winning the team championship, Olympics: Gold Medal and World Record in 80m hurdles, Gold Medal and World Record Javelin throw, Silver Medal and briefly held World Record for high jump, only athlete (male or female) to medal in separate throwing, running and jumping events. Played pro baseball in exhibition games as a pitcher and holds the world record longest throw of a baseball for women competitors. Played pool professionally, and high level amateur at softball, diving, roller skating, and bowling. Legendary LPGA Golfer winning 10 majors and making the hall of fame.

Spaulding

DCC 4Life
Bob Hayes - Legendary track & field athlete who won numerous championships, and broke several sprinting world records. His relay time at the 1964 Olympics is still the fastest ever with Usain Bolt in second place. First sprinter in history to break the 10 sec barrier in the 100 meter dash. Gold Medals in both events. Became a pro football player with the Dallas Cowboys, changed the way defense was played, and made the Hall of Fame. Is still the only athlete in history with both an Olympic Gold Medal and a Super Bowl win.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
To me, the greatest all around athlete ever has to go to Bo Jackson. That dude was amazing at everything he did.

Cotton

Staff member
Mildred "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias - Member of AAU Basketball Championship team, AAU one woman track team winning the team championship, Olympics: Gold Medal and World Record in 80m hurdles, Gold Medal and World Record Javelin throw, Silver Medal and briefly held World Record for high jump, only athlete (male or female) to medal in separate throwing, running and jumping events. Played pro baseball in exhibition games as a pitcher and holds the world record longest throw of a baseball for women competitors. Played pool professionally, and high level amateur at softball, diving, roller skating, and bowling. Legendary LPGA Golfer winning 10 majors and making the hall of fame.
Jesus, that is obscure. :lol

Cotton

Staff member
I thought this was pretty well known. I was really young at the time but I remember it being a pretty big deal since he retired in his prime to box. Then of course came back. It's actually kind of insane.
I feel like my life is a lie right now. How do I not remember this?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
This is a great thread. What is the greatest athlete ever?

Answer below.

I'm going with Bo Jackson.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is a great thread. What is the greatest athlete ever?

Answer below.

I'm going with Bo Jackson.
Jordan is right up there too

Top Bottom