Garrett Postmortem Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Bob Sturm has a fair and balanced series on Garrett coming out that I expect I will agree with a lot more than the uninformed hot takes that populate this board.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Garrett deserves credit for getting Jerry and crew to prioritize the OL, and for generally keeping the team from completely cratering throughout his tenure.

Aside from that he was either just along for the ride or actively harming our chances of progressing deeper into the playoffs.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Where is this Sturm article? I'd love to see which 10 instances he has as examples of when Garrett should've been fired, because ultimately there's probably about 20 or so that you could choose from.

Hell, he should've been fired after the Jets, Vikings and Bills games this past season alone. You could throw the Eagles in there as well if he wasn't already basically a dead-man walking.

data

Forbes #1
Find one more soul that thinks Garrett should've come back one more year.

data

Forbes #1
The most complimentary thing that this supposed Sturm exposé could say about Garrett is that Garrett was a middle-of-the-pack coach that didn't catch a break for 10 years...and that would be farfetched because we had so many self-inflicted wounds that it'd require a damn near 'miracle', not just a 'break'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Where is this Sturm article? I'd love to see which 10 instances he has as examples of when Garrett should've been fired, because ultimately there's probably about 20 or so that you could choose from.

Hell, he should've been fired after the Jets, Vikings and Bills games this past season alone. You could throw the Eagles in there as well if he wasn't already basically a dead-man walking.
I'll try to make time to post it here in a bit. There are a lot of tweets in the article so ti will take some time to post.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The most complimentary thing that this supposed Sturm exposé could say about Garrett is that Garrett was a middle-of-the-pack coach that didn't catch a break for 10 years...and that would be farfetched because we had so many self-inflicted wounds that it'd require a damn near 'miracle', not just a 'break'
Yea, the only argument is that he's basically just an average NFL HC, which may be true, but there's also definitely an argument that he's solidly below average.

The long and short of his tenure in my opinion is that he rode Romo/Dez/Witten to very mediocre results from 2011-13, then saw more success (but still very uneven success) between 2014-19 primarily thanks to the fact that our drafts improved significantly over anything we had seen since Jimmy, presumably thanks to Stephen realizing that Jerry had to be marginalized after trading up for Claiborne in 2012.

How much of a part did Garrett play in marginalizing Jerry in the draft room/personnel decisions?

Nobody really knows, perhaps he deserves credit for that as well, but nobody can say with any certainty what sort of role he had in that.

The reoccurring theme throughout his entire tenure was that the team often came out unprepared in the biggest moments (Green Bay 2016, run defense against the Rams in 2018), generally seemed to lack football common sense and could never sustain success from year to year.

The only times Garrett-coached teams ever had success was coming off disappointing seasons where expectations were low, and then every single time they followed that success up with yet another disappointing season that failed to meet expectations.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

The Minnesota game was the clincher where Jones for the first time showed some coaching envy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Minnesota game was the clincher where Jones for the first time showed some coaching envy.
The Minnesota game was my personal breaking point.

We had seen much worse performances (Packers, Jets, Saints) but that game just completely set me off because it was a combination of thoroughly shitty coaching throughout the game (defense) combined with the completely laughable bungling of that last sequence down inside the 20 where Dak was red hot literally all game, the Vikings had seemingly no answer, and we ran it twice in a row on 2nd/short and 3rd/short to neuter the drive. And then Garrett had the audacity to say they were trying to bleed the clock when they were snapping the ball with like 20+ seconds left on the play clock and the game clock running.

What the Vikings were doing offensively was so simplistic, with no Thielen it was basically just outside zone runs to Cook with play-action off it, with a heavy dose of screens to Cook mixed in, and our defense had no answer.

Then when you couple supposedly wanting to "bleed the clock" with how methodical Minnesota's offense had been all night it just makes it even more idiotic. You weren't facing 2016 Rodgers out there, Cousins was averaging about 5 YPA outside of the screens to Cook that went for a laughable amount of yardage and he had barely completed any passes to receivers all night.

Of course I had wanted Garrett fired since about 2013 and God knows how many times in between, but that Vikings game was truly it for me where I wasn't coming back in 2020 if this guy was back as HC, barring some sort of miraculous 2019 playoff run.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
My take is solidly below average. In the last 4 years of his tenure, was there ever a game of import that you thought to yourself, "Self, if this comes down to a coaching decision, we're going to win?" My answer was always, and I repeat always no. That's why I thought he should have been fired at least 3 years earlier.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
How much of a part did Garrett play in marginalizing Jerry in the draft room/personnel decisions?

Nobody really knows, perhaps he deserves credit for that as well, but nobody can say with any certainty what sort of role he had in that.
Well we do know Garrett threw a tantrum on the draftcam when he got overruled on Eifert and Jerry traded down and took Frederick

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Even that backhanded attempt at humility is bullshit. If one can't "catch a break" for 10 years, it's because he wasn't good enough to create any really opportunities for himself. Good coaches create situations and opportunities for the team to succeed and not be solely reliant on luck. All Garrett did was flounder because he lacks, and has always lacked, what it really takes to be a good coach: a spine and leadership qualities.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Really? Because his first article lists out 10 times Garrett should have been fired.
If you’d like to have an honest discussion about it am instead of a ridiculous meme infused bitch fest I’m happy to oblige.... otherwise I’ll sit it out and laff at the nonsense. And repeat.... I’ll say I suspect i will find much in agreement with what Sturm has to say. All of it? No, but much.

Don’t forget that I said for years that I would approve a targeted replacement like going after Andy Reid or Sean Payton.

I’d say McCarthy counts.

And fwiw the Storm article today is not “10 times he should have been fired,” - it’s ten instances of mistakes, many of which I agree with, that culminate in his decision that Garrett should have been fired.

And as I said... well... see above.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Pretty much what I’ve always said. Average coach who didn’t catch any breaks sounds
right to me, and didn’t help himself out enough either.

Also not necessarily in line with the bemoaning and litany of transgressions that some here seek to pin on him.

Top Bottom