Garrett Postmortem Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What did we learn from the Jason Garrett era? Ultimately it’s Jerry Jones’ fault
Yes. It is.

COACHYRSYR-YRGWLT
Marvin Lewis162003-20182561311223
Jim Mora151986-20012311251060
Jack Del Rio122003-201718793940
Dave Wannstedt111993-200416982870
Jack Pardee111975-199416487770
Jason Garrett102010-201915285670
Wade Phillips121985-201314682640
Dick Jauron101999-200914260820

I'd say this is a relatively decent list of coaches with whom Garrett belongs in the conversation.

I despise Wade Phillips but that's an entirely different conversation wherein you might be able to get me to admit I'm being unreasonable.

In the interest of fairness, Jason Garrett was very good at many things as the coach of the Dallas Cowboys:
  • He developed two young quarterbacks into outstanding veterans. Tony Romo and Dak Prescott both go down as successes under Jason Garrett’s watch. This alone will allow him to work in the NFL for as long as he wishes, regardless of both QBs’ meager January win totals up to this point.
  • He was very good at understanding the unique politics of this organization and operating under the structure he inherited. For all of his perceived weakness at changing the model, there is much to be said about being able to adjust to your environment and keep the train on the tracks.
  • He was excellent at building a culture where the locker room seemed generally united and functional.
  • He was key in finding the “right kind of guy,” which was his initiative to target leaders of men, men of high character and intelligence, and men who had a great work ethic. This would be often undercut, as he was forced to take guys who subverted this entire program, but he continued down the path to the best of his ability.
  • He displayed humility and didn’t allow his ego to ruin his opportunity to run one of the world’s top sports franchises for a decade.
  • He won more games than every team in the NFC during the decade except the Packers, Saints and Seahawks. This counts for plenty.
  • He was widely considered an above-average coach at nearly everything from Monday-Saturday. Again, you would prefer a top game-day coach, but the ability to prepare a team and go through the massive responsibilities all week at a high level is not to be ignored.
I felt that list was important to include. I certainly don’t expect everyone to agree with each point, but I do think they are all reasonable defenses and compliments to his program. He was a good coach and probably earned his position. Nobody should question that.
Yup. People who don't want to acknowledge any of these things don't have an opinion worth taking seriously on the subject. They are only here for shitting on him cause they are grrrrr! mad! that he wasted those years.

But the fact that almost nobody in the history of the sport retained their position for so long with almost nothing to show for it should be questioned. And that doesn’t fall on Jason Garrett at all unless you wanted him to fire himself.
Of course. And this goes back to Jerry... and another point about to be addressed.

“Did you know that Jerry was still not sold on firing him until he met Mike McCarthy?”

“Did you know Jerry wanted to extend him before 2019 until Stephen talked him out of it?”
So damn.... it was like, after 2018, fresh off a Divisional Round appearance, when you couldn't realistically fire Garrett.... Jerry even wanted to extend him, but Stephen said, "hey Jerry.... let's not extend OR fire Garrett, let's wait and see if there is an upgrade available next year."

And then the following year he presented Jerry an upgrade and Jerry went for it instead of extending Garrett.

TARGETED UPGRADE FOR THE WIN

We don’t know how Jason Garrett’s run would have been different if he were afforded all of those concessions. But we do know that he wasn’t the right guy for the job because he didn’t demand those concessions.
Yeah, I agree. Probably still not good enough, but go ahead and flush those hot takes that want to bitch about him being the worst. He's not.

But at the end of the day he wasn't the right guy for the job, and had proven that at least since 2015 that he wasn't really developing into a better coach given the organization's and his own limitations. So he had to go, and props to Stephen for getting us a top-10 guy in here instead of some other fucking retread just to appease the masses.

A fair and balanced take by Sturm. Some others here could take notes.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yes. It is.

I'd say this is a relatively decent list of coaches with whom Garrett belongs in the conversation.

I despise Wade Phillips but that's an entirely different conversation wherein you might be able to get me to admit I'm being unreasonable.

Yup. People who don't want to acknowledge any of these things don't have an opinion worth taking seriously on the subject. They are only here for shitting on him cause they are grrrrr! mad! that he wasted those years.

Of course. And this goes back to Jerry... and another point about to be addressed.

So damn.... it was like, after 2018, fresh off a Divisional Round appearance, when you couldn't realistically fire Garrett.... Jerry even wanted to extend him, but Stephen said, "hey Jerry.... let's not extend OR fire Garrett, let's wait and see if there is an upgrade available next year."

And then the following year he presented Jerry an upgrade and Jerry went for it instead of extending Garrett.

Yeah, I agree. Probably still not good enough, but go ahead and flush those hot takes that want to bitch about him being the worst. He's not.

But at the end of the day he wasn't the right guy for the job, and had proven that at least since 2015 that he wasn't really developing into a better coach given the organization's and his own limitations. So he had to go, and props to Stephen for getting us a top-10 guy in here instead of some other fucking retread just to appease the masses.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yes. It is.

You're wrong.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Huh, so it’s not me disagreeing with Sturm, it’s you.
He has spent all week ripping him a new one and spelling out exactly when he should have been fired.

Then when he introduces Jerry Jones as the decision maker, you forget all of it.

Everyone here knew that Jones had a hard on for Garrett from day one, including when that little asshole sharpened up his knife and stuck it in Phillips' back. Everyone acknowledges that yes, ultimately, keeping a turd like Garrett around is Jones' fault.

That is what Sturm is saying here.

Yet, you insist that Sturm never called him a turd.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yet, you insist that Sturm never called him a turd.
Perhaps you have reading comprehension problems.

I am not insisting anything. I’m taking direct Sturm quotes, verbatim, and saying I agree with those quotes.

You are the one putting you own spin on things here. Care to show me where Sturm called him a turd?

Yeah, of course he ripped him a new one. He cited about what, 15 coaching gaffes and I agree they were all gaffes.

But from what I can see, Sturm has presented a very fair evaluation of his tenure and concluded that he has strengths and weaknesses. I agree with Sturm on these conclusions. I can post them again if maybe you missed them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Care to show me where Sturm called him a turd?
So calling for him to be fired for multiple cases of ineptitude is not calling him a turd?

Yeah, of course he ripped him a new one. He cited about what, 15 coaching gaffes and I agree they were all gaffes.
But hey, I guess since he refused to use the word "turd", you view that as a positive thing.

But from what I can see, Sturm has presented a very fair evaluation of his tenure and concluded that he has strengths and weaknesses. I agree with Sturm on these conclusions. I can post them again if maybe you missed them.
No. I read all of it.

I don't think he went overboard. If you want to call that "fair", fine.

The biggest difference is he, by his own admission, regards the Garrett regime as a blight on the franchise.

You take his attempt at being "fair" as seeing him in the same light as you do.

And given the totality of the week of articles, that is simply wrong.

Few people view Garrett like you do.

Last edited:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
There was a Japanese soldier in 1974 who didn't realize the war was over. Reminds me of someone.

Top Bottom