Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I saw enough of him to believe he can still be a nice depth player.

He shouldn't be starting by any means, but I think he still brings value playing 10-15 snaps a game.
If it were my call, I'd shuffle the linebackers to other positions. I think their strengths and weaknesses best suit Lee at WLB (I think his play supports that), LVE in the middle - sideline to sideline, and Jaylon Smith at SLB - the more he's moving forward, the better.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
These are the relevant external FA's we should be interested in. Obviously not all of these guys will hit the market and many of them will be out of our price range but they might as well be included for comparison's sake.

Our own FA's aren't included but I do think we should look to re-sign Anthony Brown, Joe Looney and Jeff Heath on the cheap for depth, Cobb as our slot WR and depending on the new defensive staff's philosophy potentially Quinn or even Collins.

Run-stuffing NT's:
  • Michael Pierce
  • DJ Reader
  • Javon Hargrave
5-T/4-3 DT types:
  • Arik Armstead
  • Jordan Phillips
  • Derek Wolfe
  • Michael Brockers
  • Jarran Reed
  • Quinton Jefferson
  • Vernon Butler
  • Ronald Blair
  • A'Shawn Robinson
  • David Onyemata (New Orleans connection to Nolan)
Edge-rusher types:
  • Vic Beasley
  • Dante Fowler
  • Shaquil Barrett
  • Shaq Lawson
  • Yannick Ngakoue
  • Matt Judon
  • Bud Dupree
  • Markus Golden
  • Stephen Weatherly
Safety:
  • Vonn Bell (New Orleans connection to Nolan)
  • Anthony Harris
  • Justin Simmons
  • Devin McCourty
  • Karl Joseph
Tight End:
  • Hunter Henry
  • Eric Ebron
Misc: AJ Klein, Phillip Dorsett

My focus would be the DL of course, although it's hard to say what we should do because it's entirely dependent on what the new staff's philosophy is. Assuming they want to switch to a more multiple front that toggles between 3-4/4-3 I'd prioritize one of the run-stuffing NT's since it's obviously a huge need and I don't think any of the three listed above will break into the double digits per year.

Let's say we can get one of them for ~8/year, which is roughly what I was expecting a Collins extension to cost.

After that I'd look at Onyemata, assuming Nolan wants him, since he should be cheap and presumably well-versed in whatever defense Nolan wants to run. Shouldn't cost more than ~4/year.

From there I'd look to spend somewhere in the 14 range on a pass-rusher, whether that is an edge guy like Judon or an interior rusher like Phillips/Armstead. This is roughly what I was expecting a Quinn extension to cost.

Long story short, I think we need to spend whatever money we may have had earmarked for Collins/Quinn on a run-stuffing NT and a pass-rusher of some sort. Look for cheap depth like Onyemata and Klein, and then if you can get a decent deal on a safety (Bell/Harris most likely) or TE explore that as well.

Given our cap situation we should have about ~40-50 million left over even factoring in possible extensions/tags for Dak/Cooper. Throw in deals for Looney/Brown/Heath/Cobb and that comes down to maybe ~30-40.

Go spend some fucking money.
Good list. And I'll throw in DT Mike Daniels and Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. Both former McCarthy Packers that I keep hearing rumors about supposed interest in.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
If he does he needs to be used on running plays only because when he has to cover for a pass he can’t run much faster than me.
I thought he played quite well subbing for LVE at weakside linebacker. That's where Lee belongs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I thought he played quite well subbing for LVE at weakside linebacker. That's where Lee belongs.
He needs to be at Will if for nothing else to protect his fragile ass.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
He was a huge liabilty when forced to cover in the passing game. Really just needs to move on and we need to pick up a FA or find a cover LB in the 5th or 6th.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was a huge liabilty when forced to cover in the passing game. Really just needs to move on and we need to pick up a FA or find a cover LB in the 5th or 6th.
I agree. I think you can get better play pit of a young guy at this point.

Top Bottom