lostxn

DCC 4Life
Way to early to be the definitive thread, but here goes:

Unrestricted
QB Dak PrescottSign Longterm
WR Tavon Austinbye
WR Randall CobbSign Shortterm
WR Amari CooperSign Longterm
TE Jason Wittenbye (likely to retire anyway)
C/G Joe Looneylikely will leave for more money
G Xaver Su’a-Filolikely will leave for more money
DT Maliek Collinslikely will leave for more money
DT Christian Covingtonbye
DL Kerry Hyderbye
DE Robert Quinnlikely will leave for more money
LB Ray-Ray Armstrongbye
LB Sean Leelikely to retire
LB Justin Marchbye
LB Malcolm Smithsign short term
LB Joe Thomasbye
CB Anthony Brownresign if can get cap friendly deal
CB Byron Jonesbye
CB C.J. Goodwinbye
S Jeff Heathresign short-term
S Kavon Frazierbye
S Darian Thompsonbye
K Kai Forbathresign short-term
LS L.P. Ladouceurlikely to retire
Free Agent
DL Michael Bennettresign if can get cap friendly deal
*Restricted Free Agent *
QB Cooper Rushresign short-term
TE Blake Jarwinresign longterm
DL Daniel Rossbye
Exclusive Rights
OL Adam Redmondresign short term
DT Antwaun Woodsresign short term
Club Option
FB Jamize Olawalebye (hopefully we'll just stop using a FB)
OT Cameron Flemingresign short term

This would leave us needing:

1 WR (which we have plenty on PS)
1 TE
2 guard/centers
1 tackle
3 DT (including one starter)
2 DE (including one starter)
LS
2 safeties
4 LBers
2 CBs

That would leave us 19 holes. We draft 7-8 guys so that leaves us quite a few holes to fill out the roster. So some of these low levels guys like Covington, Hyder and Thompson are likely to get a second contract despite pedestrian talent. You need some bodies.

I find it amazing that we allowed this number of people to hit FA simultaneously. Kind of crazy. If you really believed in the team, you would have locked up more people sooner. Especially the young talent like Dak, Coop and Jarwin.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Joe Thomas is great depth and I believe he played for McCarthy in GB.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Given a lot of the defense seemed to regress I'm willing to give Lee the benefit of the doubt.
I saw enough of him to believe he can still be a nice depth player.

He shouldn't be starting by any means, but I think he still brings value playing 10-15 snaps a game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Way to early to be the definitive thread, but here goes:

Unrestricted
QB Dak PrescottSign Longterm
WR Tavon Austinbye
WR Randall CobbSign Shortterm
WR Amari CooperSign Longterm
TE Jason Wittenbye (likely to retire anyway)
C/G Joe Looneylikely will leave for more money
G Xaver Su’a-Filolikely will leave for more money
DT Maliek Collinslikely will leave for more money
DT Christian Covingtonbye
DL Kerry Hyderbye
DE Robert Quinnlikely will leave for more money
LB Ray-Ray Armstrongbye
LB Sean Leelikely to retire
LB Justin Marchbye
LB Malcolm Smithsign short term
LB Joe Thomasbye
CB Anthony Brownresign if can get cap friendly deal
CB Byron Jonesbye
CB C.J. Goodwinbye
S Jeff Heathresign short-term
S Kavon Frazierbye
S Darian Thompsonbye
K Kai Forbathresign short-term
LS L.P. Ladouceurlikely to retire
Free Agent
DL Michael Bennettresign if can get cap friendly deal
*Restricted Free Agent *
QB Cooper Rushresign short-term
TE Blake Jarwinresign longterm
DL Daniel Rossbye
Exclusive Rights
OL Adam Redmondresign short term
DT Antwaun Woodsresign short term
Club Option
FB Jamize Olawalebye (hopefully we'll just stop using a FB)
OT Cameron Flemingresign short term

This would leave us needing:

1 WR (which we have plenty on PS)
1 TE
2 guard/centers
1 tackle
3 DT (including one starter)
2 DE (including one starter)
LS
2 safeties
4 LBers
2 CBs

That would leave us 19 holes. We draft 7-8 guys so that leaves us quite a few holes to fill out the roster. So some of these low levels guys like Covington, Hyder and Thompson are likely to get a second contract despite pedestrian talent. You need some bodies.

I find it amazing that we allowed this number of people to hit FA simultaneously. Kind of crazy. If you really believed in the team, you would have locked up more people sooner. Especially the young talent like Dak, Coop and Jarwin.
Mucho props for the work you put into this.

Cotton

Staff member
Given a lot of the defense seemed to regress I'm willing to give Lee the benefit of the doubt.
You want to fix the LBers? Fix the fucking DT position. When you give the OG free reign to get to the second level and get hands on the LBer, they are destined to fail.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You want to fix the LBers? Fix the fucking DT position. When you give the OG free reign to get to the second level and get hands on the LBer, they are destined to fail.
I agree it was too easy to get guys blocking on the second level. one misstep and our LBers couldn't get through the trash.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
These are the relevant external FA's we should be interested in. Obviously not all of these guys will hit the market and many of them will be out of our price range but they might as well be included for comparison's sake.

Our own FA's aren't included but I do think we should look to re-sign Anthony Brown, Joe Looney and Jeff Heath on the cheap for depth, Cobb as our slot WR and depending on the new defensive staff's philosophy potentially Quinn or even Collins.

Run-stuffing NT's:
  • Michael Pierce
  • DJ Reader
  • Javon Hargrave
5-T/4-3 DT types:
  • Arik Armstead
  • Jordan Phillips
  • Derek Wolfe
  • Michael Brockers
  • Jarran Reed
  • Quinton Jefferson
  • Vernon Butler
  • Ronald Blair
  • A'Shawn Robinson
  • David Onyemata (New Orleans connection to Nolan)
Edge-rusher types:
  • Vic Beasley
  • Dante Fowler
  • Shaquil Barrett
  • Shaq Lawson
  • Yannick Ngakoue
  • Matt Judon
  • Bud Dupree
  • Markus Golden
  • Stephen Weatherly
Safety:
  • Vonn Bell (New Orleans connection to Nolan)
  • Anthony Harris
  • Justin Simmons
  • Devin McCourty
  • Karl Joseph
Tight End:
  • Hunter Henry
  • Eric Ebron
Misc: AJ Klein, Phillip Dorsett

My focus would be the DL of course, although it's hard to say what we should do because it's entirely dependent on what the new staff's philosophy is. Assuming they want to switch to a more multiple front that toggles between 3-4/4-3 I'd prioritize one of the run-stuffing NT's since it's obviously a huge need and I don't think any of the three listed above will break into the double digits per year.

Let's say we can get one of them for ~8/year, which is roughly what I was expecting a Collins extension to cost.

After that I'd look at Onyemata, assuming Nolan wants him, since he should be cheap and presumably well-versed in whatever defense Nolan wants to run. Shouldn't cost more than ~4/year.

From there I'd look to spend somewhere in the 14 range on a pass-rusher, whether that is an edge guy like Judon or an interior rusher like Phillips/Armstead. This is roughly what I was expecting a Quinn extension to cost.

Long story short, I think we need to spend whatever money we may have had earmarked for Collins/Quinn on a run-stuffing NT and a pass-rusher of some sort. Look for cheap depth like Onyemata and Klein, and then if you can get a decent deal on a safety (Bell/Harris most likely) or TE explore that as well.

Given our cap situation we should have about ~40-50 million left over even factoring in possible extensions/tags for Dak/Cooper. Throw in deals for Looney/Brown/Heath/Cobb and that comes down to maybe ~30-40.

Go spend some fucking money.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So it may sound odd but I might wait and see how the draft falls before I decide on a 4-3 or 3-4. If a great LBer is available in the first round I use Jaylon Smith as. 3-4 OLBer. If a 4-3 DE is available I might stick with that defense. Sign a big NT in free agency regardless. And I think you can work the pieces either way. You find a DE or 3 technique in the draft take them. Or Kinlaw/Epenesa in my opinion can play either defense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jaylon Smith is not a 3-4 OLB, he's not a real pass-rusher. He's a good blitzer from the LB position but he has no real pass rush technique or ability to bend around the corner, and against the run he has no shot at holding the POA vs. 320 lb. OT's.

I don't think 3-4 vs. 4-3 is going to matter too much, I'd imagine we're going to employ concepts from both and vary our alignments. The Saints did plenty of that this year and even had 275 lb. Cam Jordan standing up a decent amount.

It's more about what type of personnel the staff wants as opposed to simply 3-4 vs. 4-3, and it's possible they don't feel comfortable with Quinn standing up, Collins holding up vs. the run, etc.

Cotton

Staff member
So it may sound odd but I might wait and see how the draft falls before I decide on a 4-3 or 3-4. If a great LBer is available in the first round I use Jaylon Smith as. 3-4 OLBer. If a 4-3 DE is available I might stick with that defense. Sign a big NT in free agency regardless. And I think you can work the pieces either way. You find a DE or 3 technique in the draft take them. Or Kinlaw/Epenesa in my opinion can play either defense.
That's one of the good things about Nolan. He has coached both, so you truly can go into the draft and grab BPA instead of picking to fit a scheme.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jaylon Smith is not a 3-4 OLB, he's not a real pass-rusher. He's a good blitzer from the LB position but he has no real pass rush technique or ability to bend around the corner, and against the run he has no shot at holding the POA vs. 320 lb. OT's.
I don't really agree with this assessment. Jaylon coming out in the draft was billed as a guy who could play any LBer spot in a 3-4 and I agree. You don't need two DEs playing OLBer in a 3-4. Having a guy who can actually cover would be a massive strength. Plus Jaylon's speed at getting upfield would cause nightmares for OT's. Especially since he could just as easily drop off into coverage. With Lawrence likely taking the other OLBer spot you've already got the DE OLBer type. Plus if you look through the history of 3-4 defenses some 230-240 pound guys have done excellent on the outside.

With all that being said my preference would be for Jaylon to play inside next to Vander Esch in a 3-4. But I wouldn't be hung up on the fact that we can't go to a 3-4 because we need another OLBer type. And shoot I think Gregory would be a stellar 3-4 OLBer if he ever drops the pot and gets reinstated but I'm not holding my breath.

Ultimately what that means to me is I'd rather go in free agency and get a stud NT type. And hopefully sign an Armstead type (Not necessarily him, I like Jordan Phillips although it concerns me he has sucked basically until this year) who can rush the passer either as a DT or a 3-4 DE. You'd give yourself more flexibility that way. Then head into the draft open to either option.

Just for fun imagine if we were able to sign Jordan Phillips and Reader. I know it's a stretch. But it would give you two massive bodies to either clog the middle as a 4-3 or you'd have the DE and NT with beef in a 3-4. You'd could still draft a DE very easily with Kinlaw being a 3-4 DE or same with Epenesa. Or if you see a guy you think would make a great 3-4 OLBer you could still take one. You don't need all your D-line in a 3-4 to be studs so you could always fill that other DE spot with a decent dude and not stress too much. Or you draft Epenesa as a 4-3 DE and you have Lawrence, Reid, Phillips and Epenesa along the D-line. Which would cause massive problems for a team running the ball or passing it.

Ultimately we probably run a lot of nickle anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't really agree with this assessment. Jaylon coming out in the draft was billed as a guy who could play any LBer spot in a 3-4 and I agree. You don't need two DEs playing OLBer in a 3-4. Having a guy who can actually cover would be a massive strength. Plus Jaylon's speed at getting upfield would cause nightmares for OT's. Especially since he could just as easily drop off into coverage. With Lawrence likely taking the other OLBer spot you've already got the DE OLBer type. Plus if you look through the history of 3-4 defenses some 230-240 pound guys have done excellent on the outside.

With all that being said my preference would be for Jaylon to play inside next to Vander Esch in a 3-4. But I wouldn't be hung up on the fact that we can't go to a 3-4 because we need another OLBer type. And shoot I think Gregory would be a stellar 3-4 OLBer if he ever drops the pot and gets reinstated but I'm not holding my breath.

Ultimately what that means to me is I'd rather go in free agency and get a stud NT type. And hopefully sign an Armstead type (Not necessarily him, I like Jordan Phillips although it concerns me he has sucked basically until this year) who can rush the passer either as a DT or a 3-4 DE. You'd give yourself more flexibility that way. Then head into the draft open to either option.

Just for fun imagine if we were able to sign Jordan Phillips and Reader. I know it's a stretch. But it would give you two massive bodies to either clog the middle as a 4-3 or you'd have the DE and NT with beef in a 3-4. You'd could still draft a DE very easily with Kinlaw being a 3-4 DE or same with Epenesa. Or if you see a guy you think would make a great 3-4 OLBer you could still take one. You don't need all your D-line in a 3-4 to be studs so you could always fill that other DE spot with a decent dude and not stress too much. Or you draft Epenesa as a 4-3 DE and you have Lawrence, Reid, Phillips and Epenesa along the D-line. Which would cause massive problems for a team running the ball or passing it.

Ultimately we probably run a lot of nickle anyway.
To me, 3-4 OLB means an edge rusher who is closer to a DE than a traditional off-ball LB, guys like Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith who the Packers signed in free agency this past year. Generally 250-260 lb guys who could also play 4-3 DE but may be a bit undersized depending on the case.

TJ Watt and Bud Dupree. Von Miller. Khalil Mack and Leonard Floyd. Justin Houston and Dee Ford. Ryan Kerrigan. Jadeveon Clowney.

These are the best 3-4 OLB's in the league over the last 5 years.

Jaylon Smith is much more an off-ball LB than an edge rusher, with that said, I could definitely see a multiple 3-4/4-3 front where he plays as kind of a stacked LB at the LOS lining up over the TE, dropping into coverage in the flats/intermediate, etc. Sometimes lined up at the LOS, sometimes in space, basically a 4-3 strongside LB but used a bit differently with more blitzing and movement.

Maybe some would consider that a 3-4 OLB because the lines are blurred a bit, maybe not. Ultimately the nomenclature isn't important, but what is important that I'm 100% sure of is that he's not an edge rusher. You can't just line him up across from an OT on an island and say get around that edge and go get the QB.

He will never be able to get around that OT consistently with pass-rush technique or bend around the edge. He's not going to give you what a Bud Dupree or Justin Houston or Ryan Kerrigan can give you, let alone a Khalil Mack, TJ Watt or Von Miller, and if you intend to rely on him as such you will be greatly disappointed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me, 3-4 OLB means an edge rusher who is closer to a DE than a traditional off-ball LB, guys like Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith who the Packers signed in free agency this past year. Generally 250-260 lb guys who could also play 4-3 DE but may be a bit undersized depending on the case.
Jaylon Smith is listed at 245. So really 250 isn't that unrealistic.

James Harrison was 240 pounds and a great 3-4 OLBer. Kevin Greene played it in the 240s as well. You're not asking these guy to hold up OTs, you're asking them to fly past them in most situations. And you'd be free to not rush both OLBers on every play because Jaylon isn't a liability in coverage.

Shoot even guys like Clay Matthews is more of a LBer than a DE. I know he is over that 250 pound threshold but not by much. Anyway, I don't think it's as crazy one might think.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Only thing that I will say is that you can't say TJ Watt (@boozeman ) without tagging Booze.

I don't think I would like Smith on the outside.

Top Bottom