Florio: NFL must pull the plug on free agency, now

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2020, 9:35 AM EDT

The NFL plans to proceed with the unofficial launch free agency at noon ET on Monday. If it happens, it will be one of the biggest mistakes the NFL ever has made.

It’s no longer about the bad optics of big contracts being handed out in deeply troubled times, although the optics remain less than optimal. It’s about the NFL doing its part to send a clear message that, at least for now, the world has fundamentally and dramatically changed. The new normal is that nothing is normal, and any effort to make things seem normal necessarily will be abnormal.

The NFL realizes that it’s a mistake to proceed; that’s why the NFL is working so hard to mobilize its friends and employees in the media to place blame on the union. When history chastises the NFL in the same way that it still does for playing games two days after the assassination of JFK, the NFL wants to be able to credibly say, “Don’t blame us, blame them.”

Baloney. The NFL still runs the sport. If the NFL wants to slam the brakes on free agency, it can. And if the NFL Players Association wants to file a charge with the National Labor Relations Board accusing the league of unfair labor practices because it implemented without bargaining a delay in free agency, so be it.

Maybe the truth is that the NFL wants to proceed with free agency, but that it also wants to deflect the P.R. fallout to someone else. If so, the union needs to make it clear that the league is pushing to go forward as aggressively as the players are.

If the NFL truly wants to press pause, there’s still hope that the NFL Players Association can be persuaded to see the light before the market opens at noon ET. As we reported last night, the NFL and NFL Players Association will be talking today about the situation. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media adds to this that the conversation will include “guidelines for how to conduct free agency — travel, medicals, etc. — amidst our national emergency.”

Maybe, just maybe, it will become obvious during these conversations that it will be impossible to properly handle the logistics and finalize the deals before the inevitable (and, yes, it’s inevitable) national quarantine is imposed by the President. When that happens, millions in tentative deals will plunge into limbo, with both team and player having days, weeks, or months to back out. Then will come the physicals. If the player fails the physical, he’ll be back on the market months after believing that his bank accounts will be flush with life-changing money.

The smart move continues to be pressing pause, for however long it takes. In 2011, the league delayed free agency until August, due to the lockout. Now, with much more at stake than winning a labor negotiation, the NFL needs to show real leadership amid this crisis and do the right thing for the game, the players, and the nation.

And, yes, this message ultimately is directed at one person: The man whose autograph appears on every NFL football.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Shut up, Florio. There's no reason to stop business that can be conducted in a way that isn't dangerous.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is actually so opposite of the truth. I don't have court for at least 3 weeks. New clients have dried up as courts have continued everything out. There are no sports to watch on TV. Life is generally boring as shit right now. The one thing I have to actually entertain myself is NFL Free Agency. A retard like this is so out of touch with reality that he doesn't understand people are starved for entertainment and something to get their minds off the virus.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
This is actually so opposite of the truth. I don't have court for at least 3 weeks. New clients have dried up as courts have continued everything out. There are no sports to watch on TV. Life is generally boring as shit right now. The one thing I have to actually entertain myself is NFL Free Agency. A retard like this is so out of touch with reality that he doesn't understand people are starved for entertainment and something to get their minds off the virus.
Well... two buddies of mine own a bar and they finally had to shut their doors the other day, in the process had to lay off 23 people, and although sports is a significant draw for them, I can tell you there are at least 2 dudes out there who REALLY could not give a fuck about the money these players are quibbling over right now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
A free capitalist society can’t keep everyone at home. Just not possible.

Cops, farmers, truckers, firemen, communications companies that enable the web and telecommuting, folks keeping the lights on, sanitation workers, key military, doctors, nurses, people working on a cure for this shit, people that transport and feed all of the above ...

Social isolation is an elitists fucking rationalization of a dream. Something only possible in a small dictatorship.

It ain’t possible without destroying the society we’re trying to protect.

Before long people won’t be able to pay their bills, the companies they can’t pay will lay off folks in turn, and more of it will chain react from there. Restaurant and entertainment industries and the enormous supply chain each feeds are dying. Now.

Sure we can stem the tide for a while, but we have to let society be, make testing ubiquitous and easy, and convert whatever facilities we can to caring for those who do get sick.

If this disease evolves like influenza does, then this is the new normal— and that is going to take a strong nation to fight, not an economic wasteland.

Top Bottom