Five potential Cowboys playing in the CFP National Championship game

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Five potential Cowboys playing in the CFP National Championship game

Could some future Cowboys be suiting up in the National Championship?
By Connor Livesay@ConnorNFLDraft Jan 10, 2020, 5:00pm CST

Texas A&M v LSU
Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images
We’re just days away from the 2020 CFP National Championship, and boy is it one heck of a matchup. With the Cowboys season officially over, the 2020 NFL Draft has my undivided attention. It would be hard to find a better matchup than LSU vs Clemson to showcase some of the top end talent in the 2020 draft class.
Today, let’s look at five prospects who could end up wearing a star come April.
1. Grant Delpit, FS, Junior, 6’3” 201lbs
Florida v LSU
Photo by Marianna Massey/Getty Images
Heading into the 2019 season, Delpit was viewed as one of the top prospects in the country due to his size, athleticism, and great play on the field. The 2019 Jim Thorpe Award winner didn’t have the season he wanted, but he was still impressive while battling lower body injuries throughout the entire year. He has yet to declare for the 2020 NFL Draft, but all signs point to him declaring after the National Championship. Delpit would be an ideal fit for the Cowboys at free safety, giving them a true ballhawk with awesome range, length, and athleticism for the position. A year after missing out on Earl Thomas, Grant Delpit would be one heck of a consolation prize.
2. Tee Higgins, WR, Junior, 6’4” 215 lbs
NCAA Football: College Football Playoff Semifinal-Ohio State vs Clemson
Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports
With the addition of Mike McCarthy, it’s likely that the odds of retaining Randall Cobb in free agency went up. If Cobb is re-signed, along with Amari Cooper, drafting a WR in the first round is extremely unlikely. With that being said, if a bridge first-round talent somehow falls the the Cowboys in the second round, could they be forced to take the best player available? Tee Higgins is a guy that shouldn’t be available at pick #51, but in an extremely deep wide receiver class, there’s going to be a ton of good talent to fall down the board. Higgins would bring a different dynamic to the Cowboys receiving room due to his size, ability to win in the red-zone, and his ability to make big plays through his route running, and picking up yards after the catch. Higgins, like Delpit,has yet to declare for the 2020 NFL Draft, so Tuesday well be a big day for the underclassman’s future.
3. Kristian Fulton, CB, Senior, 6’0” 200 lbs
NCAA Football: Texas A&M at Louisiana State
Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports
If you want Kristian Fulton, you’ll need to take him with the 17th overall pick, and even then, it’s not a given he’ll be there when the Cowboys are on the clock in April. Fulton is the second best corner in this draft class, and it’s not all that close now with Ohio State’s Shaun Wade heading back to school. Fulton has good size to him, though he lacks the ideal length at the position. He is sudden in his footwork, and plays the position very smoothly in man coverage. Fultonhas solid athleticism and it shows with his ability to run with the quicker wideouts (Alabama game), and win against the bigger, possession guys at the catch point. He plays with excellent instincts, click-and-close ability, and would fit in well with Mike Nolan’s defense.
4. Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, RS Junior, 6’4” 230 lbs
NCAA Football: Wofford at Clemson
Adam Hagy-USA TODAY Sports
Isaiah Simmons doesn’t have a cemented position, and that’s okay, because he’s an absolute freak. Simmons is unlikely to fall to the Cowboys at 17, but he’s someone we still need to mention just in case. He has been rumored to have ran a sub 4.40 40-yard dash before signing with Clemson. While he has added weight since, you can still see the game breaking speed and athleticism the Clemson do-it-all defender plays with. Simmons has lined up at linebacker, EDGE, safety, and even cornerback in his time with the Tigers, and has excelled at every position he’s been asked to play. He is likely a guy that will blow the roof off of Lucas Oil Stadium, at the 2020 NFL Combine, and will push himself out of the Cowboys range due to his freakish athleticism, and ability to do so many different things for a defense. Regardless if Simmons will be available or not at pick 17, he’s one everyone should get familiar with and appreciate throughout the this process. You can add Simmons to the list with Delpit and Higgins of guys who have yet to declare for the 2020 draft, but given an extremely weak linebacker class, he would be wise to make his leap to the NFL.

5. K’Lavon Chaisson, EDGE, Junior, 6’4” 250 lbs
NCAA Football: College Football Playoff Semifinal-Oklahoma vs Louisiana State
Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports
Like the guy listed above him, K’Lavon Chaisson is an absolute freak. Also like the guy listed above him, Chaisson has not announced his decision regarding his future, and he may be the one guy on this list that has a better chance returning to school than turning pro. Chaisson missed all but one game of the 2018 season, after tearing his ACL, and came back strong as ever in 2019. He has a prototypical 3-4 OLB build, but has the ability to play as a weak-side defensive end in a 4-3 scheme due to how often defenses stay in nickel, and the athleticism he plays the position with. When you watch Chaisson live, you wouldn’t expect a defender of his size to play the run as well as he does, but I came away rather impressed with his ability to set the edge, and make plays in the running game. His chances of being drafted by the Cowboys will more than likely come down to if the team decides to retain Robert Quinn this offseason, and if they do decide to part ways with Quinn, K’Lavon Chaisson’s ceiling is as high as it gets as a pass rusher.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Isiah Simmons reminds me of Woody a bit. We converted him from LB that he played at Arizona State.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Memory serves me that very few LSU players have panned out for Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just no LSU corners please. This isn't the next LSU great corner. This is the next so/so guy being propped up by great players around him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Memory serves me that very few LSU players have panned out for Dallas.
Collins has been great for us this past season. Of course he was an UDFA. Bradie James was good but now I'm going back a long way. None of it would scare me from Delpit though who has elite talent.

Spears, Claiborne, Skyler Greene and David Lefluer not so much. Petterman didn't do shit here either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Collins has been great for us this past season. Of course he was an UDFA. Bradie James was good but now I'm going back a long way. None of it would scare me from Delpit though who has elite talent.

Spears, Claiborne, Skyler Greene and David Lefluer not so much. Petterman didn't do shit here either.
Seems like one of them had a hit and run or some accident that entailed a fatality. Prison time was administered for that one but I have forgotten the name. It may have been a different school but LSU wants to stick in my head. Possibly Tennessee.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems like one of them had a hit and run or some accident that entailed a fatality. Prison time was administered for that one but I have forgotten the name. It may have been a different school but LSU wants to stick in my head. Possibly Tennessee.
Dwayne Goodrich from Tennessee? Bust of a second round pick?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Any thoughts on Simmons? Guy has to be pretty smart to play all over the defense. Would love to use him as a strong safety.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any thoughts on Simmons? Guy has to be pretty smart to play all over the defense. Would love to use him as a strong safety.
He will he gone by our pick but if Nolan is creative I'd love the guy. Sure tackler, fast and just a talented football player. I think Nolan could design the defense around the strengths of the players. Not really the ballhawking safety or beef upfront that I want but there is free agency too.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Chaisson, along with Weaver, Gross-Matos and Xavier McKinney, are my backup options if all 5 of Brown/Kinlaw/Delpit/Simmons/Epenesa are gone.

He'd be a really good fit in the weak-side DE/elephant/3-4 OLB type role playing both in a 2 and 3-point stance.

Top Bottom