Feel good thread...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This thread is reserved for good things happening around the world. Keep your arguing out of here.

=====

Billionaire Mike Ilitch, who was Little Caesars founder and former owner of MLB’s Detroit Tigers and NHL’s Detroit Red Wings, quietly paid Rosa Parks’ rent for many years. Goodwill revelations come days after Ilitch’s death.

Ilitch did this in secret after he heard that she was struggling financially. Props to the dude for doing the right thing for Parks.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This thread is reserved for good things happening around the world. Keep your arguing out of here.

=====

Billionaire Mike Ilitch, who was Little Caesars founder and former owner of MLB’s Detroit Tigers and NHL’s Detroit Red Wings, quietly paid Rosa Parks’ rent for many years. Goodwill revelations come days after Ilitch’s death.

Ilitch did this in secret after he heard that she was struggling financially. Props to the dude for doing the right thing for Parks.
Major Props!!

The bar is set for the rest of you.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Great idea for a thread.
---------------------------

Italian teams restore damaged busts from ancient Syrian city

Today

ROME (AP) — Italian art conservationists have restored two funerary busts from the ancient city of Palmyra, Syria that were badly damaged by members of the Islamic State group.

Restorers in Rome used a 3-D printer to generate replicas of the missing parts of the busts, which date from the 2nd or 3rd centuries A.D. They attached the replacement parts with magnets.

After Palmyra fell to Islamic State militants in 2015, extremists destroyed ancient temples for which the UNESCO heritage site is famous.

Restorer Daria Montemaggiori says she was "filled with anguish" when she saw damaged busts and was "happy to collaborate in canceling out this massacre."

The restored busts are to be returned to a museum in Damascus at the end of the month.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Great idea for a thread.
---------------------------

Italian teams restore damaged busts from ancient Syrian city

Today

ROME (AP) — Italian art conservationists have restored two funerary busts from the ancient city of Palmyra, Syria that were badly damaged by members of the Islamic State group.

Restorers in Rome used a 3-D printer to generate replicas of the missing parts of the busts, which date from the 2nd or 3rd centuries A.D. They attached the replacement parts with magnets.

After Palmyra fell to Islamic State militants in 2015, extremists destroyed ancient temples for which the UNESCO heritage site is famous.

Restorer Daria Montemaggiori says she was "filled with anguish" when she saw damaged busts and was "happy to collaborate in canceling out this massacre."

The restored busts are to be returned to a museum in Damascus at the end of the month.
Nice!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I effing love this idea for a thread.

One day on campus there was this blind guy that had accidentally gotten on the wrong bus out in the city, and ended up on campus. When he got off the bus, he had no idea where he was. He wandered around for a bit, until this student ran across him. The student could see that the man was confused, so he went up to him and asked him where he was trying to go. Turns out he was trying to get to a laundromat in one of the neighborhoods near campus. The student called our office and eventually got to me. I sent over one of my shuttles to get him (I was headed to a meeting I couldn't miss). When the shuttle got there, the student got on it with the guy just to make sure he got to where he was going.

The student missed a final because he was helping this guy. He would have failed the last credit hours he needed to graduate because he was being a good samaritan. I only found out about it because it just so happens that the professor from that class also sits on my bike committee, and we had a meeting the next day. It came up, and I explained to the prof what had happened, and why he had missed his test (apparently, the kid didn't use it as an excuse). The professor allowed him to take the test after the fact, and the kid graduated on schedule.

dallen

Senior Tech
I saw this one a couple days ago:

Husband's devotion to his first, and only, love carries on
By Susan Carroll, Houston ChronicleFebruary 13, 2017

CONROE - Nearly every day, sometimes twice a day, for the last 2 ½ years, Jake Reissig has visited his wife's grave.

But after the 88-year-old came down with pneumonia three weeks ago, his doctors were adamant that he had to stay home, where it was warm. He convinced his daughter Cheryl to drive him to the cemetery about a week ago, but she didn't dare let him out of the car.

On Monday, the eve of Valentine's Day, Jake combed his wispy, white hair and put on a pair of crisp, khaki pants. He was ready when Cheryl came for him.

"I'm feeling good," he said. "I'm looking forward to going to see Momma."

Jake had known Elizabeth "Betty" Reissig nearly all his life. They grew up down the street from each other in the small town of Slaton, about 15 miles from Lubbock. He caught her staring at him one time after church, he said, and then she caught him staring back. She was 15. He was 18.

"We clicked," he said. "We never looked back. I never dated another girl."

They had a big Catholic wedding when she turned 18. That was followed by the births of Gary, Joe, Cindy, Tracy, Cheryl, Jeff, Diane, Roger and, finally, David.

With nine kids, she'd sometimes laugh when people asked what she did for a living.

She still managed to help him with his home-building business, picking out wallpaper for a new house with a baby on her hip, he said.

They moved to Houston in the late 1960s, but it was too big. So in 1971, they drove through Conroe and fell in love with its small-town feel, he said. They built a house and eventually bought a plot of land near a lake, hoping to someday build a little getaway cabin.

Sometimes, they'd drive out there and sit on the empty lot and watch the sunset on the water. But they never got around to building the cabin, he said, without a hint of regret.

"My family is my legacy," Betty said before she passed.

She was so easygoing, he said, and sweetly sentimental. After she died, he found little notes from her all over the house. One was stuck to a framed photo, where Betty had full lips and perfectly coiffed hair. "I'd choose you again," the note said.

"It meant more to me than anything else," he said.

Jake's youngest son, David, carried his dad's black stool to the gravesite on Monday morning.

Sometimes, Jake sits there for hours.

"We talk about our good times. I try to keep it a happy thing. Sometimes, I break down."

Jake hadn't been able to tend to the roses in his garden because of his pneumonia, but David found a few deep red rose buds, his mother's favorite, and snipped some baby's breath and ferns. Jake settled onto his stool and trimmed the lower leaves from the rose stems, putting them in a white bud vase.

"Two years," he said to Betty, "and six months."

For a long time, Cheryl said, her father was so sad. But he went to a grief support group at church, and has tried to let go, slowly.

He realizes, he said, just how lucky he is. Eight of his nine children live nearby. Every night, one of them has dinner with him. He has 17 grandchildren and so many great-grandchildren that he stopped counting.

"We had such a good life," he said. "I'm going to accept she's gone and do good things for the rest of my life. They say the little things make a difference."

When he waters his wife's grave, he always turns a hose on a veteran's a few spots away.

On Monday, he sat with Betty for a bit, as his two children stood nearby. When he got up to leave, Cheryl asked him, gently, "Do you want to do your kiss?"

If she let him forget, she said, he'd want to come back right away.

He walked back to the grave and kissed two of his fingers. Then he touched her photo on the tombstone.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not crying, you're crying!

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This is awesome! I'm not sure how to embed the video, so pardon the oops....

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This will make you believe in the American spirit and optimism again.

townsend

Banned
This is awesome! I'm not sure how to embed the video, so pardon the oops....

Girl Scout cookies were the bane of my existence while I was stationed overseas. I was staying in great shape eating 800-1400 calories a day, running every day, the I'd get a care package with those damn things and end up eating a week's worth of calories in one shameful sitting.

dallen

Senior Tech

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I need a glitter shooter in my life about right now. All of his doom and gloom is depressing.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
City chooses not to tear down old school, transforms it into 12 apartments for homeless veterans

http://shareably.net/city-builds-homes-for-homeless-veterans/?utm_source=GGN-VET&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=inspiring
This
I love this. Brings up something that I really think this country needs to focus more on.

Let's take care of our elderly, homeless, and veterans.

So tired of hearing about immigrants. Establish a final frikkin method of allowing people in and be done with it, but focus on actually taking care of our people.

Mental health, elderly and vets living in poverty. These people paid into our system for years and/or put their lives on the line. How can we be worried about others before them?

Cotton

Staff member
This
I love this. Brings up something that I really think this country needs to focus more on.

Let's take care of our elderly, homeless, and veterans.

So tired of hearing about immigrants. Establish a final frikkin method of allowing people in and be done with it, but focus on actually taking care of our people.

Mental health, elderly and vets living in poverty. These people paid into our system for years and/or put their lives on the line. How can we be worried about others before them?
I absolutely could not agree more. We need to take care of our own first. I'm not going to get up on my soap box because it might incite an argument, and that's not what this thread is for. Just glad to see some giving back to our vets. They absolutely have earned it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yeah, sorry about that...didn't mean to divert the purpose of this thread.

Mom's A Mess Trying To Calm Her Baby. Then The Walmart Cashier Inserts Her Personal Credit Card

February 22, 2017
Sha

Facebook / Ashley JonesAshley Jones wrote on Facebook:

"Today me and my Husband Michael Jordan went to the Walmart on Garners Ferry Road in Columbia, SC. It was another dreaded shopping trip trying to buy groceries for a family of 5. We got as much stuff as we could get on my husband's income since I'm a Stay at Home Mom. We literally dread going to Walmart and buying groceries period because my husband's whole check goes to food for our family.

I will say that I'm not a fan of shopping at Walmart because of how rude some of the people can be. But after tonight my whole perspective has changed.

As me and my husband were in line putting our groceries on the thing for the cashier to scan we had our youngest daughter with us, who was very fussy and tired and just wanted to go to sleep. Half of the time the cashier's don't engage in conversation but the cashier we had tonight was very friendly.

I can't remember exactly what she said but it was along the lines of you must have a big family y'all have a lot of stuff. I said yeah we do. She told me my total and I was digging through my wallet trying to count all of my money out. She gave me a smile and said you guys look like you need a blessing tonight. I just smiled back. Then the cashier walked around the counter and was hitting something on the keypad. (I thought she was giving us a coupon) then she walked back to her register. I then looked at the total and I was at a loss for words.

This sweet woman whom I never met in my life paid for half of my groceries!

I was in complete shock because I never expected anything like that to ever happen. Me and my husband were just staring at each other like is she serious? Did she really just do this? I was really at a loss for words. I didn't know what to say.

How could this woman who didn't even know me, know our situation, know us, why would she do this? I asked her what her name was and she told me, I thanked her and asked her if I could take a picture with her and post it to social media and she said yes.

Me and my husband and our very fussy one year old finally got into the car and when we did we just looked at each other and smiled and at that moment we both knew things were going to be OK because there truly are good people out there.

Thank you so much Sharnique Dasant you truly are a blessing and you will never realize how much you helped us out and how much faith you have put back into our hearts."

In an interview with the local news station, the cashier, Sharnique Dasant, said the couple looked like they needed a blessing and God told her to help them.

"She started putting her stuff up, her baby was crying, she had her husband with her," Dasant remembered.

"As we're scanning and scanning, she got in front of me and it's like I saw a different face on her," Dasant said. "And I just had like a little man on my shoulder that was like, 'Give her a $100 dollars, give her $100 dollars.' And I was like, 'give her $100 dollars?' Like, I'm talking to myself like, 'Give her 100 dollars!'"

"So I was like, I said, 'Yeah, God told me to give you $100 dollars,'" Dasant said, "and she said 'What? What? What are you talking about?' So I said, 'He told me to give you $100 dollars.' So I went ahead and I slid my card. I went around the register and I slid it for her."

Cotton

Staff member
That is fantastic.

dallen

Senior Tech
Damn! Even Michael Jordan is having troubling affording groceries now?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Not to go all Hos and divert attention to myself but it is a great feeling when you provide random acts of kindness to complete strangers.

I've done it every few months or so for the last year and a half. Nothing to the degree of the lady from Walmart but quietly paying for a meal/drink here and there. The reason I started doing it wasn't due to the whole "pay it forward" thing. I started doing it because of the kindness others have shown me while I'm out and about in uniform.

I can't count the number of times that complete strangers have randomly volunteered to purchase my meal or restaurant managers have comped my order.

So one day I thought to myself, instead of always being a beneficiary, the right thing to do would be for me to pass on a few simple acts of generosity of my own.

So if you're ever down in Miami and the employee in the drive-thru window informs you that your 6 piece McNuggets have already been paid for, it might just be me. ~pats self on back for showing how good of a guy I am~

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Not to go all Hos and divert attention to myself but it is a great feeling when you provide random acts of kindness to complete strategies.

I've done it every few months or so for the last year and a half. Nothing to the degree of the lady from Walmart but quietly paying for a meal/drink here and there. The reason I started doing it wasn't due to the whole "pay it forward" thing. I started doing it because of the kindness others have shown me while I'm out and about in uniform.

I can't count the number of times that complete strangers have randomly volunteered to purchase my meal or restaurant managers have comped my order.

So one day I thought to myself, instead of always being a beneficiary, the right thing to do would be for me to pass on a few simple acts of generosity of my own.

So if you're ever down in Miami and the employee in the drive-thru window informs you that your 6 piece McNuggets have already been paid for, it might just be me. ~pats self on back for showing how good of a guy I am~
Love you, man. :buddy

Top Bottom