ESPN writer says one safety could be a ‘perfect match’ for the Cowboys in free agency

p1_

DCC 4Life
By SportsDay Staff

12:16 PM on Mar 8, 2020

As teams wait for a new collective bargaining agreement and the chance to turn over the league calendar year, the rest of the world projects what could potentially be happening soon in free agency.

ESPN’s Ben Linsey recently released a list of perfect free agent fits for all 32 NFL teams, and he saw some secondary help in the Dallas Cowboys’ future.

Linsey tabbed Oakland Raiders safety Karl Joseph as a key addition the Cowboys could make this offseason. The 26-year-old defensive back was a first-round pick in the 2016 draft.

“Xavier Woods has played well at free safety for the Cowboys, but they could use someone like Joseph at the team’s other safety position,” he said.

“Joseph is a player whose best role is in the box; he has picked up PFF grades between 67.6 and 74.5 in each of his four seasons with the Raiders, but he has earned a grade of 82.2 for his career when lined up in the box.”

The Cowboys have poured blue-chip resources into their offensive line. They’ve traded a first-round pick for a receiver. They have a running back who is the highest-paid player at his position and a quarterback soon entering that territory.

DeMarcus Lawrence and Jaylon Smith have recently signed large extensions on the defensive side of the ball, but the safety position has been largely ignored when it comes to big-money deals. Perhaps that could change with Joseph.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eh. I guess so. He beats some of the other options. I am just not jazzed about the guy.

I am almost to the point that I invoke the Spagnola Principle.

Plus I am not sold on Woods as a free safety.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh. I guess so. He beats some of the other options. I am just not jazzed about the guy.

I am almost to the point that I invoke the Spagnola Principle.

Plus I am not sold on Woods as a free safety.
His injury problems are what worry me. He is a smaller safety who is best in the box. Seems like a tough combination. But I might roll the dice that he stays healthy on a prove it deal. I'd still draft a safety even in the first.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He'd be a fine reclamation project who could be a viable starter, with Woods on the last year of his deal it wouldn't stop me from drafting a safety high and seeing where they all shake out under a new staff.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
To be honest, im going with the new coachces on this. its their team, thier philsophies and frankly it has to be their boys, not just the best piece. A lot goes into the players on ever level. Just plugging in a talent isnt always the best case here. Id rather they get the guys they want and put their systems into place. The last few years have been band aids and it hasnt worked.

The team has to run on all cylinders and under Garrett its been 1 cylinder at a time. A few times it fired up and we saw what it could do, but Garrett couldnt sustain it. Lets see if MM and crew can sustain it

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
To be honest, im going with the new coachces on this. its their team, thier philsophies and frankly it has to be their boys, not just the best piece. A lot goes into the players on ever level. Just plugging in a talent isnt always the best case here. Id rather they get the guys they want and put their systems into place. The last few years have been band aids and it hasnt worked.

The team has to run on all cylinders and under Garrett its been 1 cylinder at a time. A few times it fired up and we saw what it could do, but Garrett couldnt sustain it. Lets see if MM and crew can sustain it
:smitty

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
the biggest piece MM has got to get set up is running this team on all cylinders and the team has to buy into what he is selling. he has to sell that they are a championship team and that he can build that. Garret might have had good speeches but the team never bought into what he was selling, heck he might not have had a product. MM has got to show he has a plan and that he can execute.

Top Bottom