Eagles Stuff...

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Sorry, but Kristy does a better job of getting me psyched...especially if she's holding a wine glass.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys notebook: Amari Cooper plans to play with cracked rib, Dak Prescott on what will be key to Dallas’ success

INGLEWOOD, CALIFORNIA - SEPTEMBER 19: Dak Prescott #4 of the Dallas Cowboys hands off to Tony Pollard #20 during a 20-17 win over the Los Angeles Chargers at SoFi Stadium on September 19, 2021 in Inglewood, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota Sep 25, 2021

FRISCO, Texas — When Dak Prescott takes the field Monday night to face the division rival Philadelphia Eagles, it will be his first time playing in a game at AT&T Stadium since suffering a compound fracture and dislocation of his right ankle last October.

There’s no downplaying it, the Cowboys quarterback acknowledges that it will be a special moment.

“Just because of the amount of Cowboys fans that will be there versus the away games,” Prescott said. “Obviously, the first two they traveled great and we felt the energy, but knowing the support they’ve given me going on a year was important, was something that I felt. Knowing that when I run out there, once again, whether it’s pregame or if it’s in a moment within the game, just to see up there and know that after COVID and everything we all went through last year, to have them all back, it will be exciting.

“I’ll take that moment, I’ll be thankful for it, but then flip my mind right back again to the Eagles’ defense and what I have to do to win the game.”

Prescott has completed 76.5 percent of his passes, third-highest in the NFL, for 640 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions through the first two games. He is 5-3 against the Eagles and 19-6 in games against NFC East teams.

The Cowboys come in with the league’s sixth-best passing offense at 306 yards per game, but Philadelphia has the third-best passing defense, holding teams to 162.5 passing yards through the first two weeks.

The Cowboys have won four of their past five against the Eagles at AT&T Stadium.

Dallas is 5-5 in its last 10 Monday night games. Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy has a career record of 8-10 on Monday night.

Here are some other notes to get you ready for Dallas’ first divisional game.

Dak’s skeptical. The Eagles have a new coaching staff and what they’ve shown against the Atlanta Falcons and San Francisco 49ers defensively looks different than in previous years.

“It’s definitely different,” Prescott said. “I wouldn’t say it’s strange. I’m not necessarily sold, though, until after this game or until the first half. A little bit of myself says they’re just scheming up a little bit to pull it out against us. Sometimes you do things different against your division than you do against other opponents. But it’s definitely a different defense. I’m excited just to get out there to see who they are and what they really are and if it’s what we’ve seen on tape these last two games, and just go out there and attack them.”

The middle of the defensive line is still strong with six-time Pro Bowler Fletcher Cox, Javon Hargrave and Hassan Ridgeway. Defensive end Brandon Graham is out, so the top edge rushers are Derek Barnett and Josh Sweat. Like the Cowboys, they’ve struggled to get sacks. Hargrave has two and Ridgeway has their only other.

Alex Singleton and Eric Wilson are their top two linebackers. Darius Slay remains their top playmaker on the back end. However, the Eagles are one of only seven teams without an interception this season.

Jonathan Gannon is Philadelphia’s new defensive coordinator. He was the Indianapolis Colts’ defensive backs coach for the previous three seasons where he worked under defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus, Dallas’ linebackers coach from 2011 to 2017.

Amari Cooper update. The good news for the Cowboys is that Cooper is expected to play Monday night. Cooper revealed Friday that he suffered a cracked rib in the season opener and played through it against the Chargers in Week 2. He was limited in practice Thursday but he was a full participant Friday. Cooper said he did not wear any extra rib protection last week, but he plans to wear something Monday night.

“It’s getting better every day,” he said. “I’ll be ready.”

Cooper didn’t seem too concerned about the possibility of the injury becoming worse if plays.

“That’s the thing about football,” he said, “you play once a week, which is tremendous for us. How much you can heal in seven days, the healing process is great over that amount of time.”

Cooper said he learned how to play hurt while at Alabama. Nick Saban started playing another wide receiver because Cooper kept pulling himself out of games because of injuries.

“I just started playing hurt and then what happened was I started having my best games when I was hurt,” Cooper said. “It was crazy. I’d be healthy, I’d have good games, but I’d be hurt with real pain, just fighting through it, and I’d have my best games. So from there, I was like ‘Man, maybe I need to be hurt some more.’ That’s just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. When you least expect something to happen, it happens. That’s just how life is.”

In seven career games against the Eagles, Cooper has caught 33 passes for 614 yards and four touchdowns. That’s the most catches, receiving yards and touchdown receptions he’s had against any NFL team.

Other injury updates. DE Dorance Armstrong (high ankle sprain), DT Carlos Watkins (knee), S Donovan Wilson (groin) and OT Ty Nsekhe (illness) did not practice Friday. McCarthy already ruled out Armstrong, Watkins and Nsekhe. Wilson is unlikely to play for the second consecutive week. Starting linebacker Keanu Neal remains on the Reserve/COVID-19 list. DE Bradlee Anae was added to the list Friday. Neal has a chance to play Monday night as long as he continues to test negative. Anae is likely out.

These issues have left the Cowboys thin along the defensive line, which means rookie linebacker Micah Parsons should end up playing defensive end for the second consecutive game. That would give them Parsons, Randy Gregory, who returned to practice this week after missing last week after testing positive for COVID-19, Tarell Basham, Azur Kamara and Chauncey Golston to play on the edge. On the inside, the Cowboys will have Osa Odighizuwa, Brent Urban, Quinton Bohanna and they could call up Justin Hamilton from the practice squad. Breeland Speaks and Austin Faoliu are the other defensive linemen on their practice squad.

Keeping Parsons at defensive end and the uncertainty with Neal means a lot of snaps at linebacker for Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch. It also opens the door for Luke Gifford and Jabril Cox to get some work.

The most notable injury this week for the Eagles came during their Thursday practice when starting left tackle Jordan Mailata injured his knee. He did not practice Friday and his status for Monday night is uncertain. If he can’t play, that could mean that the Cowboys follow a similar game plan to last week when they lined up Parsons on the Chargers’ backup right tackle Storm Norton. Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson is one of the best in the business, so perhaps they have the more experienced Gregory move over to left defensive end and go against Johnson while Parsons goes against a backup on the opposite side.

“I was happy to see the disadvantage that they had on the right side and we kept him over there,” Gregory said of watching Parsons last week. “I think that’s what we need. I think when we see there’s blood in the water, keep him out there, let him do what he’s got to do and I think that’s what we did.”

Gregory said he believes if the Cowboys left Parsons at defensive end, he’s talented enough to have a double-digit sack season. During the portions of practices this week open to reporters, Parsons was working only with the defensive linemen.

Chauncey Golston. Coming out of organized team activities and minicamp, Golston was the Cowboys’ most impressive rookie defensive lineman. But a hamstring injury forced him to start training camp on the physically unable to perform list. Golston returned to practice last week and is expected to make his rookie debut Monday night. His availability comes at the perfect time considering all the injuries the Cowboys have up front.

“I thought he did a really nice job last week,” McCarthy said. “I was, frankly, nervous about playing him just because having only one padded practice before he played, but there is definitely a feeling amongst everybody else that he really looked good in practice. It looked like he was ready to go. So I hope he builds off of last week’s work.”

Golston, the 84th overall pick in this year’s draft, had 45 tackles, 8 1/2 tackles for loss, 5 1/2 sacks, three quarterback pressures, an interception and a forced fumble in eight games during his senior year at Iowa.

Zeke and Pollard. Tony Pollard’s impressive play last Sunday against the Chargers has made for one of the biggest storylines this week. While some believe the Cowboys have to give the majority of their carries to only one back, Dallas is content with Ezekiel Elliott and Pollard both being heavily involved.

“It’s a brotherhood,” Elliott said. “Every week we all got the same goal … win football games. I see the work he puts in. He’s one of the hardest workers on the team, and he’s very talented. He deserves to go out there and play well.”

Pollard had 13 carries for 109 yards and a touchdown against the Chargers. He also caught three passes for 31 yards. Elliott had 16 carries for 71 yards and a touchdown to go along with two catches for 26 yards. Elliott played 44 offensive snaps. Pollard played 21.

Some see this as an issue because Elliott’s contract averages $15 million per season while Pollard is in the third year of a rookie deal that averages just under $800,000 per season.

“Zeke has always been a very unselfish player and is going to do whatever it takes for this team’s success,” Prescott said. “So if there’s any misnomer about that, you probably should nix that and get rid of it now. He’s all about the team. He’s all about the brotherhood. He’s all about the team’s success.

“Obviously individual success is great, but it’s not about that. I’ll continue to credit him and just our whole offense as a whole, there’s a few guys on our team that are paid well and that never comes into play, that’s never what this game is about. We all want to see each other succeed, and that’s the lack of egos we have that is going to be a key to our success.”

Kellen Moore, future head coach. Moore interviewed for the Eagles head coaching position in January. He was also a candidate to become Boise State’s next head coach. Moore ended up staying with the Cowboys to be their offensive coordinator for a third consecutive season.

“That’s more of an offseason thing,” Moore said this week. “Once we get into the season, I don’t care about it. I’m focused on trying to figure out Philly. In the offseason, when those opportunities present themselves, if they do, awesome. I’d love that opportunity one day, but we’ll see where that takes us.”

Prescott said he and Moore were in close communication throughout that process.

“Obviously at that point, any situation like that you’re happy for a guy personally,” Prescott said. “I mean, becoming a head coach is something that every coach probably dreams of, and so I was excited for him getting that opportunity. I’m excited that he was able to interview, learn a lot from it I’m sure, and grow. But, yeah, selfishly that’s not something that I wanted to see or was excited about, but happy for him.”

Prescott especially doesn’t want to think about Moore leaving right now because they believe this Cowboys’ offense is only scratching the surface.

“Kellen, he’s on fire,” Prescott said. “He’s doing whatever is necessary to win the game and put us in the best position. Obviously, going into each game, the plan is to be balanced. That’s what you assume you have to do to win the game. But once you get out there and see what the defense is throwing at you, if you have to adjust, he’s been able to do that. If it’s throwing the ball a bunch of times because of a box count or running because we have holes that the offensive line is creating, he’s been great. He’s been on fire.

“I’ll come back to the sidelines sometimes and tell him, ‘Just keep it up.’ Credit to him for putting us all in great spots.”

Amari wants the No. 1 treatment. Cooper was asked this week during his weekly radio interview on 105.3 The Fan if he’d be excited or offended if a team’s No. 1 cornerback followed CeeDee Lamb instead of him.

“I would be both,” Cooper responded with a laugh. “I would be both. It’s just like last year when we played the Eagles. Slay was following me. They play a lot of zone, but when they were playing man … he was following me earlier in the game. And then (Michael) Gallup was going off, and then they switched (Slay) and put him on Gallup. And yeah, I was offended, but I was excited at the same time. And then I went off and then they didn’t know what to do.

“That’s the type of team you want to have, though. You need all those weapons. Those are usually the teams that go far.”

Nick Sirianni shirt. The first-year Eagles head coach wore a shirt to his Thursday press conference that said “Beat Dallas” with Eagles and Cowboys helmets on front. Sirianni noted that it might turn into bulletin board material for the Cowboys, but the players asked about it this week didn’t seem to care. Elliott simply responded: “We stay in our lane.”

“I’m not mad at him,” Lamb said. “He is supporting his team. And I got to support my guys. We just have a different way of showing it.”
Did McCarthy think about responding by wearing something similar to his Friday press conference?

“Nah, we’re good,” he said. “We’re focused on being the best that we can be. … We’re focused on what’s in front of us. We have enough internally to work on. That’s our focus.”

Top Bottom