Eagles stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Eagles' tempo concerns Cowboys' defense
November, 26, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have a lot of worries when it comes to the Philadelphia Eagles offense.

There is LeSean McCoy and Darren Sproles running the ball. There are wide receivers Jeremy Maclin, Riley Cooper and Jordan Matthews. There are tight ends Brent Celek, Zach Ertz and James Casey.

Mark Sanchez has thrown for 300 yards in each of his three starts.

But it’s more than just the personnel. It’s the tempo at which Philadelphia plays that worries the Cowboys most. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli went with a basketball comparison.

“You remember Loyola-Marymount with coach (Paul) Westhead, that pace?” Marinelli said. “They just run the pace and run their system, run the pace and run the system with speed. That’s something we’ve kind of believed in on defense. We’ve got to align, get set, get ready to get our feet in the ground and we have to play fast. So we’ve got to match that. The challenge is there.”

The Cowboys performed rather well against the Eagles last year, but the short week has made it difficult to simulate the speed of play in practice. The Cowboys were not in pads all week, going through mostly jog-through sessions. They used multiple huddles with the scout-team offenses to get the defense prepared, running one play and then turn around to face the next play in a matter of seconds.

The New York Giants had success against the Cowboys last week with a no-huddle attack, but Eli Manning was calling plays at the line of scrimmage and the pace of play was not drastically different.

“Philly gets up there and snaps it,” cornerback Orlando Scandrick said. “The tempo is before the ball is snapped. We need to be lined up and ready to play when they come to the line of scrimmage.”

The Eagles average nearly 73 plays per game. The Cowboys’ defense was on the field a season-high 74 plays against the Giants and average 60.5 snaps per game.

“Now, they’ve got really good players and a challenging scheme,” coach Jason Garrett said. “They attack you a lot of different ways. Really just that basic element of 11 guys lined up the right way, everybody running the same defense, doing their job; that’s what gives you a chance to be successful against a team like this.”

Yep, like I said earlier in this tread or in another thread, we have to control the tempo of this game. If we do, we win fairly easily, IMO.

Cotton

Staff member
LeSean McCoy proclaimed ‘I own Dallas,’ but Dez Bryant says Jerry Jones does

Jon Machota

IRVING — During training camp in August, Philadelphia Eagles All-Pro running back LeSean McCoy was walking over to do interview with former Cowboys hall of fame receiver Michael Irvin when he turned to some fans and said, “I own Dallas.”

“Well, we’ll have to see about that tomorrow,” Bryant said. “We’ll see if he owns Dallas or not. I’m not really into going back and forth with anybody. I just stick to between these white lines.”

McCoy has played eight times against the Cowboys with the Eagles going 4-4 in those games. McCoy has scored three touchdowns while averaging 86.9 yards per game on the ground.

Bryant later added: “Jerry Jones owns Dallas.”

Cotton

Staff member
I really hope the players come out chippy and pop them right in the fucking mouth.

vince

Not So New Member
I'm loving this trash talk by the Eagles. Now I hope we use it as extra motivation to kick these Eagles in the nuts.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
McCoy isn't too bright to begin with, but how exactly do those numbers own Dallas?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Eagles' tempo concerns Cowboys' defense
November, 26, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have a lot of worries when it comes to the Philadelphia Eagles offense.

There is LeSean McCoy and Darren Sproles running the ball. There are wide receivers Jeremy Maclin, Riley Cooper and Jordan Matthews. There are tight ends Brent Celek, Zach Ertz and James Casey.

Mark Sanchez has thrown for 300 yards in each of his three starts.

But it’s more than just the personnel. It’s the tempo at which Philadelphia plays that worries the Cowboys most. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli went with a basketball comparison.

“You remember Loyola-Marymount with coach (Paul) Westhead, that pace?” Marinelli said. “They just run the pace and run their system, run the pace and run the system with speed. That’s something we’ve kind of believed in on defense. We’ve got to align, get set, get ready to get our feet in the ground and we have to play fast. So we’ve got to match that. The challenge is there.”

The Cowboys performed rather well against the Eagles last year, but the short week has made it difficult to simulate the speed of play in practice. The Cowboys were not in pads all week, going through mostly jog-through sessions. They used multiple huddles with the scout-team offenses to get the defense prepared, running one play and then turn around to face the next play in a matter of seconds.

The New York Giants had success against the Cowboys last week with a no-huddle attack, but Eli Manning was calling plays at the line of scrimmage and the pace of play was not drastically different.

“Philly gets up there and snaps it,” cornerback Orlando Scandrick said. “The tempo is before the ball is snapped. We need to be lined up and ready to play when they come to the line of scrimmage.”

The Eagles average nearly 73 plays per game. The Cowboys’ defense was on the field a season-high 74 plays against the Giants and average 60.5 snaps per game.

“Now, they’ve got really good players and a challenging scheme,” coach Jason Garrett said. “They attack you a lot of different ways. Really just that basic element of 11 guys lined up the right way, everybody running the same defense, doing their job; that’s what gives you a chance to be successful against a team like this.”

Yep, like I said earlier in this tread or in another thread, we have to control the tempo of this game. If we do, we win fairly easily, IMO.
How do you control the Eagles offensive tempo?

Cotton

Staff member
How do you control the Eagles offensive tempo?
Two ways. One, you keep them off the field by running the ball. And second, you disrupt their rhythm with blitzes and switching up coverages.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Two ways. One, you keep them off the field by running the ball. And second, you disrupt their rhythm with blitzes and switching up coverages.
I will have to think about the first part. The second part is only effective if you actually succeed with a blitz by a sack. You may disrupt them on a play but the tempo is still going on unless we have different understandings of tempo.

Cotton

Staff member
I will have to think about the first part. The second part is only effective if you actually succeed with a blitz by a sack. You may disrupt them on a play but the tempo is still going on unless we have different understandings of tempo.
The hope is that you slow down any aggressiveness in their game plan. Knock them on their ass and put them in long yardage downs and you slow them down.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You also score, putting pressure on them to keep scoring. Sanchez butt-fumbles under pressure.

Cotton

Staff member
You also score, putting pressure on them to keep scoring. Sanchez butt-fumbles under pressure.
And, if you can do that by running, it works twice as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And, if you can do that by running, it works twice as well.
I guess I have a different understanding of offensive tempo. It seems to me you are describing offensive rhythm.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL executive, top scout pick Dallas Cowboys to beat Eagles on Thanksgiving

Mark Eckel | For NJ Advance Media By Mark Eckel | For NJ Advance Media
on November 25, 2014 at 6:10 AM, updated November 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Who's going to win the Thanksgiving Day showdown in the NFC East between the Eagles and Dallas Cowboys?

Two top personnel men with knowledge of both teams are going with the Cowboys. One called it 31-21 for the home team. The other sees it a little closer, but still likes Dallas, 24-20.

"I have to go with (Tony) Romo and the fact (Dallas) is at home,'' one executive whose team has faced both teams, said.

Another long-time, highly-regarded scout agreed.

"Dallas' offense is playing really well and the Eagles defense has some soft spots,'' he said. "And I'm not a believer in Sanchez.''

One of the men agreed to break down and compare the teams. Here's a look at the offense.

"Dallas' offense is pretty simple,'' he said. "They hand the ball to DeMarco (Murray) and they throw it to Dez (Bryant). And they tell you to try to stop it.''

Here's a position by position breakdown with the executive's comments.

Quarterback: Tony Romo, Dallas vs. Mark Sanchez, Eagles
"Do you have to ask?'' he said. "That's easy, Romo.''

Running Back: DeMarco Murray, Dallas vs. LeSean McCoy, Eagles
"That's tougher, real tough actually. But I'll still take McCoy.''

Wide Receiver 1:Dez Bryant, Dallas vs. Jeremy Maclin, Eaglres

"Stop it, Dez might be the best in the league.''

Wide Receiver 2: Terrence Williams, Dallas vs. Riley Cooper, Eagles

"Williams. He's not great, but he's good. He's better than Cooper.''

Slot Receiver: Cole Beasley, Dallas vs. Jordan Matthews, Eagles

"Matthews is better. He's better than Cooper, too.''

Tight End: Jason Witten, Dallas vs. Brent Celek, Eagles

"You still have to take Witten.''

Left Tackle: Tyron Smith, Dallas vs. Jason Peters, Eagles

"Both are very good. I'll lean towards Peters, slightly.''

Left Guard: Ronald Leary, Dallas vs. Evan Mathis, Eagles

"If Mathis is right, I'll go with Mathis.''

Center: Travis Frederick, Dallas vs. Jason Kelce, Eagles

"They're so different in the way they play. It's really hard to pick one. Is Kelce healthy? Maybe call it even, or a slight edge to Kelce.''

Right Guard: Zach Martin, Dallas vs. Andrew Gardner, Eagles

"Martin. He's as good as advertised.''

Right Tackle: Doug Free, Dallas vs. Lane Johnson, Eagles

"I'm going to go with Free.''

The final tally is Dallas, 6-5.

Tomorrow is a look at the two teams' defenses.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I guess I have a different understanding of offensive tempo. It seems to me you are describing offensive rhythm.
You would have to assume that if you get a sack or take them for a run loss that it would slow their tempo because I am sure most of their play calling is based on down and distance. It will still be quick, but they'd have to audible to a different play or huddle to change the play based on how many yards our D gives up on a play.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You would have to assume that if you get a sack or take them for a run loss that it would slow their tempo because I am sure most of their play calling is based on down and distance. It will still be quick, but they'd have to audible to a different play or huddle to change the play based on how many yards our D gives up on a play.
I see tempo as slowing down a team's number of play calling by forcing them to huddle. Blitzes and having your offense on the field will not necessarily do that. Having your team's offense on the field for an extended period will possibly affect the other's rhythm. A sack will slow the tempo but a blitz won't necessarily do it if you don't accomplish the sack. I differentiate between tempo and rhythm.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I see tempo as slowing down a team's number of play calling by forcing them to huddle. Blitzes and having your offense on the field will not necessarily do that. Having your team's offense on the field for an extended period will possibly affect the other's rhythm. A sack will slow the tempo but a blitz won't necessarily do it if you don't accomplish the sack. I differentiate between tempo and rhythm.
Does not have to be a sack...an incompletion that makes it 3rd and 10 instead of 3rd and 3 will change tempo and play calling...possibly forcing a huddle.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Does not have to be a sack...an incompletion that makes it 3rd and 10 instead of 3rd and 3 will change tempo and play calling...possibly forcing a huddle.
Teams can still go and do up tempo with an incompletion. Long passes maybe so.

Top Bottom