DT David Irving returns to fold, trains at Cowboys' facility

p1_

DCC 4Life
DT David Irving returns to fold, trains at Cowboys' facility

By: K.D. Drummond | 14 minutes ago

The Cowboys still have a few weeks to go before they get the services of one of the game’s best interior players again. Defensive tackle David Irving, suspended four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, made his way to the team’s training facility on Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Todd Archer.

Irving worked out with the team’s strength and conditioning staff for the first time Tuesday, according to multiple sources. Per terms of the policy, Irving is allowed to work out at the facility and attend meetings but not practice.

Irving has not been with the team since the mandatory minicamp in June. He also missed all of the organized team activities (OTAs). Irving did not report to training camp as he was in a rehab facility. On June 15 it was announced he was going to be banned for the first four-games of the season. Irving missed the first four games of the 2017 season due to a performance-enhancing suspension, and then missed the final four games of the year due to a concussion.

Things didn’t get any easier off the field and it has been a tumultuous offseason for Irving.

Irving, a restricted free agent, was given a second-round tender by the Cowboys in free agency, and he and his agent let it be known they were not interested in finding a long-term deal with the Cowboys or any other suitor. They wanted to play out the year to prove he’s one of the best defensive tackles in the game after registering seven sacks and six pass deflections in just eight games last year.

According to Irving his now ex-girlfriend retaliated against being caught cheating by calling the police on him for domestic abuse. She later recanted the accusations and no charges were filed by the Frisco, TX police department.

“I was very upset and made some allegations that were false … I had no intentions of getting into trouble. … David did not put his hands on me at any time. … David is a great father … I would urge the media to please refrain from spreading this false story.”

The two were embroiled in a custody battle in California which Irving won, setting himself up for single parenthood. These things caused complications with his availability for team work in the spring. He spoke about it via Instagram.

I wish the media would tell the truth about why I’m really not at OTAs . I wonder if they even know the real reason ? There is no football, if there’s no me …gotta help yourself before you help others right ? Just stay tuned for the damn season

After his suspension was announced, Irving again used Instagram to speak to his difficulties there, putting the NFL on blast for their pain killer regiment, stating that he was suspended for smoking weed.

Irving is scheduled to make his Week 5 debut on Sunday Night Football as Dallas travels to Houston to take on the Texans of the AFC South.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good to hear. He can take this D-line from very good to great really quickly.

Top Bottom