DMN: Why Jason Garrett is just a symptom of a bigger problem plaguing the Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys radio color analyst Babe Laufenberg also spoke about why Cowboys fans shouldn’t expect Garrett to be fired mid-season.

By Demetrio Teniente

9:45 PM on Dec 7, 2019

Ever since the first three-game losing streak this season, a running conversation in Cowboys Nation has been whether or not Dallas needs to part ways with coach Jason Garrett before the season becomes unsalvageable.

If you’ve been part of that conversation since the Cowboys lost to the Jets, 24-22, back in October, then you probably remember that the last time Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones fired a coach mid-season was Wade Phillips in 2010.

Since time is a flat circle — especially with the Cowboys — that mid-season firing is back to kill any hope that Garrett will be fired before the season is over and also sugar coat what is objectively a disappointing season for a team that has underperformed nearly every step of the way.

In a recent interview with the G-Bag Nation on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM], Dallas Cowboys radio color analyst and former NFL quarterback Babe Laufenberg reminded the hosts that at the time of his firing in 2010, Wade Phillips was 1-7.

“This team is in first place,” Laufenberg said. “Granted 6-7, but Wade was 1-7. Nobody survives that. Nobody.”

G-Bag host Gavin Dawson then pointed out how well the Cowboys played after Phillips was fired, finishing that season 5-3 in the final eight games.

“What happened to the team immediately after firing him?” Dawson said. “It was like a breath of fresh air was just pumped right into the team and they started playing free, like they had nothing to lose and bam, they’re 5-3 in the second half of the season with the same players, just a different head coach.”

Laufenberg didn’t back off the point though, reemphasizing that the Cowboys are in first place of the NFC East.

“They’re in first place. I don’t care the record — they’re in first place,” he said. “To change now, unless you have the guy sitting there that you’re grooming — obviously that was the case with Jason Garrett and Wade. Jerry had his eye on Jason and it was easy to make the change.”

We have to also consider the possibility that firing Garret won’t fix all the problems facing the Cowboys. There is, after all, plenty of blame to go around.

Let’s say that getting rid of Garrett doesn’t fix anything. Fine. But what if it’s the last card Dallas has left to play?

Another G-Bag host, Jeff Cavanaugh, said it best just a little before the Laufenberg interview: Garrett isn’t the problem, he is a symptom of it.

“Garrett is not a good head coach, but is that the ultimate problem?” he said. “No. But it is a symptom, right? So we’re not going to fix the problem, we are going to trade out the symptom and put in a new symptom and hope that he can overcome the ultimate problem.”

The ultimate problem being that Garrett, or whoever comes after him, will not have enough control of the team as long as Jones remains general manager.

To a certain degree, Jones acknowledges his part in this team’s shortcomings. To the extent that Cavanaugh and others outside the organization do? Most definitely not.

“There’s nobody in the NFL that’s any more responsible for what’s going on out on the field than me,” Jones said in an, at times heated, interview on The Fan Friday. “I certainly have that kind of frustration as well.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Where were all of these articles during the CFR days? Are all of these reporters seriously this far behind?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That seems to be the theme since Troy started calling out Jerry, that coaching isn't the real problem

I'll still say that Jerry may always keep the team from reaching its full potential, but with a better coach it can at least get a lot closer than it has lately.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That seems to be the theme since Troy started calling out Jerry, that coaching isn't the real problem

I'll still say that Jerry may always keep the team from reaching its full potential, but with a better coach it can at least get a lot closer than it has lately.
Yep, Jerry isn't calling the plays. Coaching is just as much if not more a problem as Jerry

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, Jerry isn't calling the plays. Coaching is just as much if not more a problem as Jerry
Jerry picks the coach so ultimately he is responsible but if the GM isn't changing you just have to hope he can luck into the right coach.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
it can at least get a lot closer than it has lately.
making us even more frustrated in the process because they will seem so tantalizingly close but yet again cannot overcome the albatross that is the owner/gm & spawn

I'd rather go 1-15 or worse for the next 4+ years and have the jones brought to their knees

Dallas fans are too faithful and as a result they never have any repercussions for their actions and therefore nothing really changes that matters

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I mean, I thought I couldn't stand Jason Garrett. But it's nothing compared to your "jeri" hate.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I believe I made the very same "symptom vs disease" declaration as Cavanaugh did above, and in the title to this thread, back on Nov. 30 in the Garrett Watch thread, to wit:

"Garrett is not the disease. He's only a symptom of the underlying disease, which is..."

It's not a major insight or anything, but Jerry has been hiring coaches since the mid-90s, with only one brief flicker of success that whole time. Which he snuffed out.

To maintain that Jerry doesn't call the plays so coaching is as much the problem as Jerry is Alice in Wonderland logic.

Jerry hires the coach and keeps him in place for nine years, undercutting the coach's authority at every opportunity while serving as the coach's biggest cheerleader. Over time, it becomes obvious that the coach is incompetent and ineffective. Jerry stays the course anyway.

Ladies and gentlemen, the problem is Jerry, not the coaching. To imagine that a new coach will cure the disease, when it hasn't for 25 years, through six different coaches, is like sucking at the crack pipe, hoping the dealer will soon show up with a few more rocks.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
As we've known for a long long time, the problem absolutely is jerry's meddling and coach selection. No question no dispute.
But I still disagree with Babe. I believe firing Garrett right now could help. Give Richard a shot. Absolutely couldn't hurt

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Ladies and gentlemen, the problem is Jerry, not the coaching. To imagine that a new coach will cure the disease, when it hasn't for 25 years, through six different coaches, is like sucking at the crack pipe, hoping the dealer will soon show up with a few more rocks.
Of course Jerry is the main problem but thinking getting a better coach won't change things is crazy.

Jerry doesn't keep Garrett from opponent specific game-planning, in-game adjustments or active involvement in the coaching of players during games. We can absolutely do better with a better coach. Even with Jerry still here.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course Jerry is the main problem but thinking getting a better coach won't change things is crazy.

Jerry doesn't keep Garrett from opponent specific game-planning, in-game adjustments or active involvement in the coaching of players during games. We can absolutely do better with a better coach. Even with Jerry still here.
Yep, like I said, if you can't cure the disease you at least treat the symptoms.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
As we've known for a long long time, the problem absolutely is jerry's meddling and coach selection. No question no dispute.
But I still disagree with Babe. I believe firing Garrett right now could help. Give Richard a shot. Absolutely couldn't hurt
At the very least, it shows your players and the rest of your coaching staff that what is happening is not ok.

deadrise

DCC 4Life

Better than what?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Better than what?
Better than Campo level coaching, actually I don't think Garrett could have gotten 5 wins with his rosters

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
"All three phases"

Top Bottom